Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Elderly gentlewomen's tea-drinking/riding trip in June
  • Esme
    Free Member

Inspired by Ton’s various expeditions, some of the STW girlies are arranging a couple of sociable rides in the Peak District on 27/28 June. They will be “proper” MTB routes, but taken at a gentle pace. Anyone recovering from illness or injury, and beginners, will be very welcome.

Arrange your own accommodation (Baslow area), or just come for one day.

So, who’s interested in joining us?

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t worry, boys – you’re not missing anything 😉

cinnamon_girl

Wot no beer?????

Check out that pic. 😆

cinnamon_girl

Serious q – are beer drinking Southerners invited?

Esme
    Free Member

Of course Softy Southerners are invited, CG!
    I shall personally remove all the rocks beforehand, and sprinkle sand on any rough bits of track 😀

cinnamon_girl

Excellent Esme, count me in! Any chance of a little man to look after my sweaty clothing when I’m having a regular menopausal hot flush? 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Remove clothing? 😯
    You’re not familiar with the northern climate are you, CG?
    We only remove our Liberty bodices for one week during August . . .

ton

8)

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Elderly gentlewoman – tick
    Tea-drinking – NO!! I need cider 🙂

It’s all very well saying you’ll remove the rocks, and smooth out the rough bits with sand, but there’s still massive hills that this FOW* won’t get up!

* Fat Old Woman 😳

Esme
    Free Member

“Too posh to push”, LadyG? 😉

LadyGresley
    Free Member

More like too puffed to push!

Actually, maybe I need an electric bike? 😀

Bunnyhop

‘Ah ha’, as someone who is 2 out of the 3 things in the title I’m in.

I think hubby may come along, bugger off and meet up later.

Edit : Is a full suss a bit overkill for this ride, it’s all I have atm?

Esme
    Free Member

Bunnyhop, you are obviously a sprightly wee slip of a girl 😕
    Older ladies realise that full-suss is essential to avoid expensive dental work dropping out. To say nothing of our delicate old bones . .
    (but to be serious, ride whatever you are comfortable on)

Bunnyhop

I quite like the look of the bikes up there ^^^^

Esme
    Free Member

Accompanied well-behaved menfolk are welcome. I’ll send them off in the wrong direction provide a longer route, to keep them occupied.
    And they sometimes come in handy, for opening gates, fixing flats, and other menial tasks.
    (oh, and carrying CG’s spare clothing, for when she discovers it’s cold oop north)

cinnamon_girl

Can I get away with Southern Softie (Nobby Nic) tyres on an out-of-date wheel size?

Esme
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I use, CG

binners

Accompanied well-behaved menfolk are welcome. I’ll send them off in the wrong direction provide a longer route, to keep them occupied.

The lady may jest, but It should be noted that last time I went out with Esme, we lost her other half within a half mile of the car park, and didn’t find him until we got back to the car. I have to say the pace was most agreeable though, an suited me perfectly 😀

Can I come along, and burger off out with NBT, then we’ll meet up wit you later, for loads and loads of fizzy Euro-lager Earl Grey and buttered scones? Not been out round that neck of the woods for ages

Esme
    Free Member

“Accompanied well-behaved menfolk”
    You are very welcome, Binners – but will you be accompanied by your partner, daughters or mother?
    (all of whom are faster than me 😳 )

Bunnyhop

Can I come along, and burger off out with NBT, then we’ll meet up wit you later,

NBT would love that 🙂

Steve_B

Ohh my good lady meets all of those criteria* except she will be trailing around some MTB no go area north of Aviemore 😉 at the time. Maybe she should organise a more northerly variation. Mind you on current number of outings this year I suspect tea drinking might be favoured over cycling.

*tho I suspect she might be rather more elderly than you lot and hence is not allowed to be referred to as elderly!

Esme
    Free Member

Steve, at a certain point, many elderly ladies become quite proud of their age (“I’m 94, you know!”).
    So if Mrs SteveB is still sensitive about her age, then by definition, she’s still relatively young 😕

And yes, a Scottish ride is an excellent idea!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I shall personally remove all the rocks beforehand, and sprinkle sand gold on any rough bits of track

FTFY. 🙂

Look after CG if/when she gets up there. She’s one of ours, and a damned good one too! 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Awww, Flashy, that’s really sweet.

So are you the “little man” who looks after CG’s sweaty spare clothing?
    😳 << that’s CG having a hot flush

ton

mrs ton and myself may be up for this. she does not like riding offroad. a pootle would suit her.

Esme
    Free Member

Wow, that would be brilliant, Ton! I’m sure she’ll like these gentle routes.

But you do realise we won’t be wrestling in our pants afterwards, don’t you?
    It’s only inspired by your trips, not an exact copy.

binners

You coming up for this then flashy? There’s loads of places to land a helicopter round there! 😉

ceefa
    Free Member

Not been on here in years 🙂
    I’m up for this wk/ender thanks for the invite Esme 😀
    I have a couple of women who are interested too.
    I’ll have to tell them that their men folk are allowed to be around aswell….lol

Esme
    Free Member

Ooh, this is shaping up as an excellent weekend 😀
    I’ll confirm exact details (start time, postcode, “comfort breaks”, etc) nearer the date.

In the meantime, to whet your appetite, we’re looking at the following routes, from the latest VG White Peak guidebook.

SATURDAY
    Eastern Moors Moor, probably starting from Baslow.
    Includes the new bridleways through Barbrook Valley, and Froggatt Edge.

SUNDAY
    Bakewell – a blend of the Bakewell Circuit, Bakewell Slice and Calver Circuit routes, starting from Bakewell.

The routes will be modified to include tearooms and cafes (or even pubs, especially for CG 🙄 ).
    But no problem if you prefer to bring your own cucumber sandwiches, and just nip inside to use the “facilities”.
    And I’ll be carrying the official team SheWee, obviously 😆

scaled
    Free Member

Mrs S may be up for this, currently still in a place where she can’t get her head round not feeding the baby for a few hours.

I might meet you halfway round with the little ‘uns 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Cool – I’m sure we can accommodate BabyS!
    In fact, that must be the best excuse ever for a rest-stop 😀

notlocal
    Free Member

If any of the elderly tea drinkers wish to travel north of the wall, there is a ladies section of the Aboyne Nomads. Renamed “the No-nads” by one of our brethren. I’m sure they would love to show the ladies from the south around. Aboyne Nomads are on the book of face, just mention Anna or Ellie.

cinnamon_girl

Look after CG if/when she gets up there. She’s one of ours, and a damned good one too!

You smooth-talking gentleman Cap’n. 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Sounds like fun…

Rachel

Esme
    Free Member

I suspect you are not really old or decrepit enough (yet) Rachel, but you are very welcome to join us . . .

Bunnyhop

Rachel – no offence but you’re not allowed. Why you ask?
    Firstly you’re far too young and having ridden with you many times, far to gnarly and fit 🙂

Scaled – you never mentioned a new sprog – congratulations.

I’ll look after CG, we’ll be gassing at the back.

Esme – put me down for the Bakewell route please.

P.S. that’s me that is in the V Graphics White Peak book. My arse in on the back cover (whoops sorry for that worthless piece of info)

Esme
    Free Member

Wow, a celebrity! I shall bring my copy along for you to autograph 😆

Bunnyhop

Esme – whoops, I’m in the ‘old’ edition, not the spangly new one 😳

Esme
    Free Member

Obviously the old edition sold out really quickly, because of your photo 😉 and that’s why they’ve re-issued the book . . .

ceefa
    Free Member

Has anyone decided on where they are going to be staying?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Elderly gentlewomen's tea-drinking/riding trip in June’ is closed to new replies.