Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Elan Valley / Rhayader and the golf links track
  • pease
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVNtNI-eYM[/video]

some clips of our ride around the rhayader area. if you havent done the golf links track yet i highly recommend it.

hugor
    Free Member

Looks fantastic. Have you got a link to some good routes.
    I’m based in Cardiff and always wanted to venture up there.

pease
    Free Member

do you use view ranger?? ive posted the route on there. if not there are many printed routes of that area. its a stunning area!!

hugor
    Free Member

I haven’t used viewranger but I’ll look it up.
    I have the vertebrate mtb guide books and I know of the trail centre up there which I’m planning to visit.
    I have heard that the trail centre is not a fair estimation of the places beauty.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don’t go it’s rubbish, you won’t like it. Pease has made that video up 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

Looks carp. 😉

pease
    Free Member

hahaha… no need for trail centres when you have all that to ride… or in our case carry your bike around haha.

singlespeedstu

Don’t go it’s rubbish, you won’t like it.

Specialy the Garreg Ddu and Nantgwyllt chapel descents. They’re extra carp.

Pease.
    I ‘ve had a look at your route but can’t work out where you the hikeabike bit in the video was?

pease
    Free Member

its a track starting from Treheslog Farm.. you have to battle through the dogs on the yard then go to the left through the field. we were going to go right at the farm and then around the base of the hill but there were no markers and didnt want to annoy the owners by going the wrong way.

singlespeedstu

We got followed by a pack of hounds that live on that farm.

Followed us half way round the route before turning round and going home.

The way they just trotted along side us was just awsum. 😀

You have to go through the farm yard then pick the track up the other side.It bears round to the left then runs up the side of the stream.

You can see the path in this pic.

pease
    Free Member

thats it. we went left through the gate, past the ruin and up the steep climb. the stream was coming down to our left. i could try and post the route on here not sure if the link works if your not a viewranger member. or i could put it on twitter i believe??!!
    this computer lark isnt my strong point!!

pease
    Free Member

just seen the pic. thats the one!! will try that next time as im sure we will start using the same route. that wooded section were the camera was on the ground, was great fun. we usually go further up the road and start from pentregeithon.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Nice video pease, exactly the route we did last time we were in Rhayader. Hard to do justice to the golf course decent in a video

Actually…..it’s just about the only route I’ve done there and several times too, I’d really appreciated some pointers to other good stuff rideable from Rhayader.

I did ride out to the Caban Coch reservoir once, which included a 1/2 mile section where we were hub deep in water. I mentioned it to Clive Powell when we got back and his reply was “it was dry today then”. Isnt it the wettest place in England and Wales?

flatfish
    Free Member

Isnt it the wettest place in England and Wales?

Capel Curig is the wettest place I believe.

singlespeedstu

As you go up that track in the picture it starts to get realy near to the stream. You’ll see a place you can cross the water with a track leading out up the bank through a gate. Go up there and back out onto the road and turn left up it.
    That way cuts out the top bit of the track which is unridable going uphill.

pease
    Free Member

that first pic looks great. will try that!!!

singlespeedstu

I warn you now the climb up from the other end to get to it is a right bastardo. 😆

Alex

We did a ride that way a couple of Easter’s back

Elan Valley Epic – April 2010 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

It was quite wet 😉 We had to cut the ride short as one of our riders could no longer feel his feet! Need to go back this spring, heard good things about the golf links track, just not made it there yet.

This is climbing from the res up onto the moor. We never really found the track we were looking for. Found a lot of snow and deep bogs tho.

Elan Valley Epic – April 2010 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks SSS, have ridden that steep descent to the reservoir a few times, first time I branded my leg with steaming hot rotor. Always bottle it on that rock garden though, need to follow someone over it next time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

This bridleway always looks good from the A road north out of Rhayader, but never ridden it

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=293237&Y=271638&A=Y&Z=120

…anyone done this?

singlespeedstu

Yep.
    I’ve done that from the Nannerth end. Quite steep to start with then kind of hard to follow between your arrow and the stream.
    Oh and can be a bit moist in places. 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Great vid of the route. This ride has been on my to do list for ages now especially sessioning the Gully in singlespeedstu’s pic, may go in the spring with any luck.

pease
    Free Member

i do the electrical work at nannerth, thats a stunning place should you want somewhere to stay for the week or weekend!! we have made it our mission to find and ride more routes there this summer!! may tap you up for some routes sss will ask clive too. when somethings on your door step why is it you ride everywhere else haha

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Any Pubs in Nannerth Pease?

pease
    Free Member

no sorry… its a little complex of holiday lets,showmans trailor,sheperds hut etc. but rhayader has plenty of pubs 😉

pease
    Free Member

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=291832&Y=267591&A=Y&Z=120

thats the way we made our way down on this ride. usually we do the next one along.

singlespeedstu

its a little complex of holiday lets,showmans trailor,sheperds hut etc.

It was just a field with a gypo trailer and a few donkeys last time i was there. 😆

may tap you up for some routes sss

I was thinking of trying to organise a ride and invitining the good people of STW…

Stoner
    Free Member

pease – while you’re here…

I used to live in builth, but long before I got into MTB 🙁

have ridden doethie and to strata florida via cleaerwern then round to trallwm,….but never ridden rhayader.

Your vid is ace, and made me want to get out there again so going to take the camper van in a few weeks…so which pub for real ale, good grub and not to hard to get to from a night stopover say in Elan or the lakes?

pease
    Free Member

id be up for a meet and ride, sss. would be good to see some new routes.

stoner, there are a few good pubs, not sure which ones do good ale. my mum lives in rhayader so when i go there i tend call in there after a ride. the crown inn is nice or theres the elan hotel. its nearly time for the old camper to come out for me too. hope we have some dry weather soon!!

singlespeedstu

there are a few good pubs

Some of them great for afterhours drinking and fighting. 😀

I’ll try and sort a date out. Some of the peaks pootlers were keen to attend too.

Stoner
    Free Member

but do the girls fight fair Stu? 😉

singlespeedstu

There ain’t no girls in Rhayader.
    Just fighters. Some with cocks some without. 😆

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Will keep an I out for the ride then, when do the midges start to bite around there 😮

pease
    Free Member

nah.. theyre not bad there!! maybe it could be a wild camp trip 🙂

singlespeedstu

Camping’s always wild there. 😆

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I like the real ale pub idea if there’s a campsite nearby!

timber

curry house is the best option in Rhayader

some massive bothy routes are possible, taking in nant-y-moch, the hafren, hafod, tywi and elan, done the sections, but never linked it together as a multi day

pease
    Free Member

indian take away delivered to a bothy!!! now theres an idea!

FOG

What is it with Wales and fighting? A couple of years ago me and some mates were staying in Builth. We got chatting to some local lads in the pub who invited us to the Rugby club bar for some late drinking. We said no thanks had a long day got a lot of riding tomorrow.’Aww but there’ll be fighting’ they said as if that would really change our minds!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Elan Valley / Rhayader and the golf links track’ is closed to new replies.