Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eggbeater bearings
  • davedodd
    Free Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can get just the bearings from anywhere for standard eggbeater pedals, and if so, what the bearing part no is. I love eggbeaters and usually find that when replacing knackered bearings that it is just the bearing that’s gone whilst the rest is fine.

Any ideas?
    Ta
    Dave

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Any ideas?

Shimano.?

davedodd
    Free Member

Any sensible suggestions???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

See this: http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2008/04/crank-brothers-eggbeater-servicing-ii.html

And this for some ideas on getting hold of the inner bushing: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bushes-whats-the-difference-between-a-du-and-dx-bushing

Outer bearings can be had for about 69p

But..

Note: if your bushing is worn replacing the outer bearing alone won’t help – as the remaining play in the bushing completely will kill a new outer bearing in about 3 minutes. You need to source a new bushing too!

2nd note: I got the bushing size wrong in my above thread! (It actually needs to be slightly larger than this!). I must be bad at measuring things, or maybe bushings are all supplied in a size slightly smaller than their spec – I dunno? Anyways, the dimensions for the bushing taken from the pedal are correct, but you definitely need to order the next bushing size up than the one I recommend.

Edit:

Okayee.. I’ve just looked it up (as I need to have another go at this now because my pedal just exploded). The problem with the ’10x12x12mm’ DX bushing I originally tried was that it was 1-2mm too short! I think this one will probably be better, but might need some filing down: http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/GB1015DX_Split_Bearing_Bush-17036-p

I’m gonna order a set and see what happens 🙂

tablesalt
    Free Member

throw em in the bin then get some shimano ones!

davedodd
    Free Member

No eyed deer.

Thanks for your help, it’s nice to know that at least 33% of people can give a decent response rather than just talk out of their arse.
    Cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

don’t throw them in the bin for some shimano ones – spds don’t clear mud as well, or float as well…

slimjim78
    Free Member

eggbeaters rule.
    just about to change my bushings/bearings for first time in 5 years! (and yes, they were well ridden in that time).

Is it a straightforward swap out?

Interesting stuff here.
    I’ve replaced the spindles on mine with Ward Industries titanium ones to avoid the problem with the standard ones snapping.
    Bearings and bushes for under 50p each instead of £16 for a repair kit sounds good.

Springs are the next thing.
    I find they go weak after a while so I unclip when I don’t want to.
    Does anyone know of a source of replacements ?
    I would imagine not, as they are a specific item for this application, not like a generic size bearing.
    I was going to have a go at stripping the pedals, then resetting the springs by simply twisting them too far the opposite way. Has anyone tried this ?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m an egg beater fan too… 8)

They just work. Fantastically 99.9% of the time (but can fail spectacularly if you completely ignore maintaining them for ages and ages, but hey, I can live with that.)

Easy to change bearings / bushings.. see this other link from ‘pedaldamnit’ for more pointers:

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2007/05/crank-brothers-eggbeater-servicing.html

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

MTG:

I’ve had the same problem with my ‘beaters. It happens after a while. See this link from ‘pedaldamnit’ to see how easy it is to take your ‘beaters completely apart:

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2008/04/crank-brothers-eggbeater-servicing-ii.html

As far as I know replacement springs are not available, but… Once in bits it’s relatively easy to re-tension the spring itself by bending the right-angled ends of the spring arms slightly – I’ve used a pair of mole grips to grab hold of them and bend. This bending will completely take up any slack that has developed in the mechanism – it works, trust me!

Once that is sorted you’ve got to put the whole lot back together. Fairly simple, apart from the last bit (because the spring is now under tension!). I’ve found that you can use the pedal axle as a ‘jig’ for this. Slot it through the assembly – as if the pedal were together – and then thread the outer bearing nut on to it. Tightening this nut up gradually (using washers / old bearings as spacers) will allow you to eventually force the mechanism back together. Presto – pedal good as new!

It’s actually quite an easy and quick job to do once you’ve figured it out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeater bearings’ is closed to new replies.