Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Economical petrol car – possible?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

four times the top speed

Didn’t know a Prius could do 300+ mph!?!?!

(That’s a 200cc engine. Cruises at 70mph, will do nearly 80. The newer model’s injected 250cc engine will do 10mpg more)

And A to B will wipe the floor with any car you care to mention. 😛

And we paid £900 and will most likely get the same price back when we sell it, maybe a bit more 🙂

EDIT
    Oh, the dip in the graph was caused by fitting a BIG windscreen for the winter. It knocks the fuel quite a bit. It’s now getting more MPG than it was before winter becasue I replaced the drive belt and serviced it. A worn drive belt lowers the gearing, see, so it revs higer for the same speed…..)

Hairychested
    Free Member

@molgrips, show us you can 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I also like to save fuel without making undue compromises. I’ve experimented with tyre pressures – I found that higher pressures in the Prius don’t add much fuel economy and make the ride unacceptable, for example.

I’ve also really concentrated on driving style. Lots of subtle things you can do to save a fair bit of fuel and still be able to drive at the speed limit. In the Passat on my work commute for instance I can beat the extra-urban figure consistently, which is quite hard.

I also found out that when driving to Aldershot, in the Prius I could improve my average for the trip on the A/B road section from J11 to Aldershot, but in the Passat I could only maintain it 🙂

I’m now a big fan of low RR tyres too, especially Nokians.

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t know a Prius could do 300+ mph

Oh fair point, I assumed it was a 50cc, even though you’ve said before and I forgot 🙂

Still, I’d have hoped for more from a scooter.

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s something to be said about little cars with bigger engines. mrs rocket has an ST Fiesta which is a proppa point-and-shoot go kart but it is also torquey enough to pull away in 2nd, short-shift into top and drive around in 5th until you have to stop. Does easy mid/high 40s when driven like this but for some reason only returns low 30s when I drive it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Driving bigger engines more gently often makes them less thermodynamically efficient.. but there are lots of factors. Revving the tits off a small engine reduces pumping losses but increases losses through the exhaust. I’ve heard people report that their huge old American V8s actually return higher MPG at 80mph than 70mph.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Still, I’d have hoped for more from a scooter

Yeah, most people do expect that. But bike angines rev like crazy to get the power (They don’t need much torque) That 200cc engine makes 21bhp for instance.

Like I said, that a carb fed 02 model, and the newer injected ones are better, and you can get a 125 that’ll do 110mpg if you really want, or an 800cc BMW that will do 65+mpg

The flip side is that servicing is very cheap for the Vespa (think DIY) and that MPG figure stays pretty much the same no matter what you do with it: Heavy traffic or longer rides, there’s not much change.

Not better or worse really, just more fun and faster, but also open to the elements and lacking carring capacity, although we can do the weekly shop with it pretty easily

(Aircon is standard on all bikes though, obviously. Has been for MANY years…)

EDIT
    All bikes have shockingly poor aerodynamics too, which doesn’t help

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve experimented with tyre pressures – I found that higher pressures in the Prius don’t add much fuel economy and make the ride unacceptable, for example.

I’ve just tried this too, and after a quick test I reckon it does make a slight difference. Still looking at that though. Not much difference in ride, but it does go a bit skippy round rough roundabouts when I’m, err, ‘not slowing down for them very much’ 🙂

Just a thought, but is the Prius reletivly heavy with the batteries etc? Maybe it needs firmer suspension to cope with that so upping tyre pressure makes it feel worse?

I’ve alo really concentrated on driving style. Lots of subtle things you can do to save a fair bit of fuel and still be able to drive at the speed limit. In the Passat on my work commute for instance I can beat the extra-urban figure consistently, which is quite hard.

Go on then, do share. Serious, not taking the mick. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

If I had a long urban or suburban commute and couldn’t ride a bike, I’d get a scooter without a second thought. They are cool. However we’ve ended up with two cars due to circumstances.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah I know what you mean. Mrs PP gets a lift to work now I’m working away, or takes the scooter if theres no lift. 19 miles….

molgrips
    Free Member

Not much difference in ride, but it does go a bit skippy round rough roundabouts when I’m, err, ‘not slowing down for them very much’

I found that when running at the 44/42 that the US people were advocating. So much so that I pulled over and let them down there and then 😯

Prius is not really heavy – you gain a battery but lose most of a gearbox. Mine is 1300kg or so, new one is 1400kg, between say a Golf and a Passat which is about where it is in size terms. Mine has a medium ride rather than soft or firm which is not bad since you can corner it faster than the Passat and keep up momentum (hence saving fuel 🙂 ).

Generally, on open roads I keep the cruise on. Creeping imperceptable acceleration really knackers your mpg. On windy roads I coast as much as possible (by lifting off the throttle almost all the way, the Prius rolls really well like this with either no power or a bit of electric) and just giving it a burst of medium pedal at the right moment. A bit like riding a pump track really.

Doesn’t work as well in the Passat because you are always fighting engine braking.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Best fuel consumption figure I’ve had out of my 1.6 Astra SXI is 51mpg. Didn’t do anything to the tyre pressures just made sure I kept my acceleration gentle and my speed as consistent as possible ( I do however suspect the tyre wear induced by speeding through corners and roundabouts at high speed may negate the fuel cost savings!). I normally get mid to high forties out of it if I drive carefully. In my dads little 1.2 Fiat Panda its very difficult to not get MPG levels in the mid fifties.

I am lucky in that I live in a very hilly part of the country so I can coast down lots of long hills in fifth gear and still maintain a decent pace. I think what is most important when trying to get the best MPG possible out of your car is adopting the right state of mind; everybody else on the road may be going faster than you but ultimately they are burning through the petrol, and their money, far faster as well.

parkesie
    Free Member

new shape fiesta 1.6 petrol hovers in the mid 40s for me can get into 50s with careful driving

molgrips
    Free Member

made sure I kept my acceleration gentle

Not necessarily the best plan. I find mid-throttle on lower revs then holding steady speed is best. Fewer pumping losses.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How about an 08 skoda fabia 3 105 auto, orangey/bronzey colour, 1598cc with around 9000 miles on the clock. 16v as well. 5 door hatch., petrol.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

made sure I kept my acceleration gentle

Not necessarily the best plan

Works well in the Astra, the engine is pretty flexible low down in the rev range. I also tend to block shift up through the gears if traffic is light and I don’t need to get up to speed in a hurry. I spend a lot of time in my car for work and I’ve had a couple of years to figure out the best way to stretch the fuel economy out.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

orangey/bronzey colour

Very low drag colour that, ideal for high MPG 😀

El-Zilcho
    Free Member

I get around 41mpg (according to the computer) out of my Civic Type S. I’m not what you’d call careful about fuel consumption either, so yeah, economical and petrol is indeed possible.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Just got back from Ikea 🙂 Got told to hang on with buying a smaller car, she needs, ehem!, to get a few things. I reckon unless the 406 dies it’ll stay for a bit longer. But if she changes her job I’ll change the car. Maybe a 307? 2.0 HDi 110BHP ideally. Not sure it’d be any cheaper to run but more fun to drive I suppose.

DrP

Our Octavia 1.6fsi shows 39.9 on the total trip computer, and on a decent motorway stretch I’ll get about 44mpg. Around town, keeping the revs below 2k (really boring, a fair bit chuggy, but was an experiment!) I got 43mpg.

Can easily get 400-450 miles from a tankfull (about £65 most places).

I really should see how ‘real life’ figures compare…

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe a 307? 2.0 HDi 110BHP

I thought you said no diesel?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I did, I also had a very large tumbler of Bells before I posted it. I should’ve said diesel would be ideal but petrols are so much cheaper I might need to go for one instead.
    What annoys me is the fact most cars are so much taller than they used to be. A 307 is waaaay taller than an old Civic, a new-ish Golf towers over an old Accord too. It makes them noisier, less stable, ugly and I don’t like it.
    I wish they made the proper Civic again:

Bez

Honda Jazz 1.4 petrol here. Have averaged up to 58mpg (actual) over a full tank for rural driving, will do 50mpg at 70. Fits five bikes in the back with the seats down, or one in the boot with them all up, or three with one rear seat up. 80k on the clock and no faults yet. Awesome car.

molgrips
    Free Member

What annoys me is the fact most cars are so much taller than they used to be.

They realised that you can get much more passenger room in the same sized car by making everyone sit up a little higher.

Bigger cars are lower down, it seems.

juiced
    Free Member

hairychested even the new civic type r’s are being stopped for the UK due to pesky emission controls.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Economical petrol car – possible?’ is closed to new replies.