Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Easy-ish rides around Buxton
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Very similar to the other Derbyshire ride thread… [/url]

In Buxton visiting some of the OHs family for a few days next week. Jnr and I would like to go out for a couple of hours on our bikes. We’re not after anything too gnarly, but something a bit more challenging and interesting than the Tissington Trail. We don’t mind working for a nice flowy descent, but Jnr (and I) might struggle for anything too techy.

Any recommendations?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Problem around Buxton not much flowing tracks either flat stoney tracks or very rocky.Old Macc road above Goyt valley.Nice bridleway opposite Cat and Fiddle pub.There is the old railway line to Bakewell but flat.
    Three shires head is lovely spot waterfall and pack horse bridge but very rocky.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks. I’d prob be fine on the rocky stuff, but Jnr is riding a hard tail.

woody21
    Free Member

High Peak Trail starting at Hurdlow’ down to Biggin by Hartington on Tissington Trail, Cardlemere Lane to Mininglow / Pikehall back up High Peak Trail to Hurdlow. All but 250 metres off road. Excellent pub (Royal Oak) at Hurdlow

Some Bridleways / Green Lane in vicinity of Biggin / Hartington area

Easy family route

isitafox
    Free Member

If you can, get dropped off on the road towards Hayfield then spin up and over South Head. Drop down into Chapel then get the train back up to Buxton?

carlos
    Free Member

How far you looking at riding??

There’s a decent enough loop that you can do from Buxton out and round Ladder Hill, Taxal and then back through the Goytt Valley a finishing on the Old Coach Road ack into Buxton. It is about 16 miles though.

There is a couple more options round the Goytt but it would prob be easier to dive and park down near the dam.

Drop me an email (mines in my profile) and I’ll send over a couple of legit options round the Goytt if your interested

Carlos

alanl
    Free Member

I’d suggest the Monsal Trail. Ok, it’s dead easy, but worth it for the views and the tunnels.
    You could go off the trail in a number of places, but I do like something as simple as the trail on occasions. Starting at the West, you can have a break / dinner in Bakewell, have a look at the Trout in the river, then take it easy on the way back.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will look at those options.

16 miles would be fine Carlos.

hammerite
    Free Member

Followed a route kindly sent by Carlos “Hilly Goyt’s Gruff”, probably a little tougher than Jnr fancied, but he managed fine and really enjoyed it. Lots of standing water in places – we rode through all bar one as it looked a bit deep – right choice as some chaps on MX bikes struggled through.

M6TTF
    Free Member

That buxton loop is a good ride – add on macc forest and shining tor and you have some great climbs and descents

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Easy-ish rides around Buxton’ is closed to new replies.