Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • DX jawbone style glasses – compatibility with genuine jawbones?
  • clubber
    Free Member

Following on from this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oakley-jawbone-cheapest-and-safest-place-to-buy

How compatible are the DX ‘jawbones’ with genuine Oakley ones? I’m not intending to use the DX supplied lenses but would be interested in changing the colours of my jawbones’ jaws or upper section if my current lenses work with them and the price is about right to make that feasible.

DX jawbone style glasses: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fashion-outdoor-sports-uv400-protection-pc-lens-goggle-sunglasses-white-68764

lightman
    Free Member

People are saying they are identical and genuine lenses will fit.
    I just got a pair and the quality is pretty good.

stevede
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve read my Posts on the other threads but I can confirm that I have fitted genuine Oakley clear vented lenses to the deal extreme jawbone copies, not only do they fit but they fit perfectly. Hth.

clubber
    Free Member

Cool – I’ve actually gone ahead and ordered a pair – only £10 so nothing too much lost if they weren’t any good.

RustyMac

Just had a look at the link, I can’t believe they even have the Oakly “O” on them too!! how can they get away with such a blatant copy.

clubber
    Free Member

They probably have “Oakley” written as “Oakly” though 😀

RustyMac

Probably! That’d get them round it 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Would it? I imagine Oakley have a copyright on their logo as well!

Very blatant! Whilst I don’t condone counterfeits it’s certainly a good way of getting other frame colours or whatever!

jota180
    Free Member

Would it? I imagine Oakley have a copyright on their logo as well!

Whilst Oakley may well have worldwide patents on stuff, I suspect enforcing it in some countries is ‘challenging’

rob-jackson
    Free Member

where is cheapest to get genuine lenses

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Is it not a bit of a false economy if you are going to get a couple of pairs of Oakley lenses for them?

Going to be about £80 – 100 on lenses so when you add the cheap frames to that its not much less than what the genuine ones would cost.

DT78
    Free Member

Might take a punt for £10, I fancy swapping out the lowers on my black jawbones for something a bit brighter. Blimey they’ve got (presumably) loads of fake team kit as well….

skiprat
    Free Member

After reading the other thread, i ordered a pair as i wanted to change the jaws on my ‘real’ Jawbones.

Spoke to Oakley the other week about getting hold of some and they said they do not sell them as spares. So fo a tenner, i’ll take a chance on the whole thing.

Best bit is reading the reviews below the glasses, “these are great copies”. Bet Oakley love them!!

clubber
    Free Member

Omar Little – Member
    Is it not a bit of a false economy if you are going to get a couple of pairs of Oakley lenses for them?

I already have a pair of genuine Jawbones so don’t need to buy any lenses.

Houns

Reported the site to Oakley

clubber
    Free Member

I reported your post for being inflamatory 🙂

I’m sure Oakley are well aware of it already Houns.

mcboo
    Free Member

I actually met one of the senior managers of the Italian company that owns Oakley a couple of weeks ago. They are a fantastic family owned business who invest an enormous amount in R&D in Europe and the US. I know nobody gives a sh1t about anything anymore but buying crappy Chinese rip-offs hurts decent businesses and their employees.

(If you buy yourself some proper Oakleys they come with a perpetual crash replacement policy. I broke a 7yr old pair last year, they sent me a new pair of Jawbones for £100)

skiprat
    Free Member

mcboo, can you not have a quick word with them then? I only want some different coloured jaws but they won’t sell me any, even though i have a genuine pair.

They would be more than happy to sell me another pair for me to pull apart and get what i want but i just don’t want to do that. Best thing is, you can get the bloody things off ebay from the USA!!

Houns, if they offer you a reward for reporting the site, ask them to throw in a pair of jaws for me will you??!! 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the crash replacement I take it the frames need to be snapped rather than just badly scratched up….have an old pair of half jackets that took a grinding a few years back.

And, if oakley did sell spares at reasonablish prices it would be nice for those of us who fancy a change and don’t want to shell out for a whole new pair.

Btw – someone asked about lenses, I got my vr28’s fairly cheap from CRC with topcashback and 10% off at the time

mcboo
    Free Member

Nah I’m pretty sure they will replace old scratched ones, its about 40% off. Their customer service centre is excellent, just call them.

They are a very cool company. Own Rayban, Persol and Oakley, manufacture under license in Italy just about every designer sunglasses you can think of. Prada, Chanel etc etc etc……..been going 50yrs and still owned and run by the original founder and his son.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Anyone bought the fake split jackets?

clubber
    Free Member

Luxottica are the owners of Oakley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

Houns

Yes lux own Oakley.

A move that us Oakley collectors feared. Yes I still wish Oakley was independent, it has been obvious since lux took over they have been more interested in trotting out signature series and ltd editions than developing new tech and research

mrplow
    Free Member

These threads have me worried. I have bought clear lenses online from a bike shop. How do I know they are genuine?

Houns

What bike shop was it?

stevede
    Free Member

Got my clear ones from here: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22728
    not sure if they are the cheapest though.
    As for buying counterfeit products, i like Oakleys styling and the quality of there lenses, i own genuine pairs of straight jackets and a-frames but i can’t justify well over £100 on glasses for riding in that are likely to get trashed. I could have got cheaper glasses from Aldi, Lidl, B and Q or even from a bike manufacturer but i didn’t, i bought what i fancied. I agree they are a blatant rip off, they even say jawbone on the inside of the arm but i’m not the one selling them, i am surprised they haven’t been taken off sale yet though.
    They also have Radar copies on there, would be interesting to see if the genuine lenses fit in those too.

therag
    Free Member

Recently bought genuine oakley crosshair prescription sunglasses but at £280 I won’t wear them riding.
    Can you get prescription lenses for the jawbones and any idea how much ?

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

They aren’t 100% perfect copies – comparing the ‘retina burn’ jawbones on DX to the legit ones I have at home the screw that holds the jaw on is different (although i note on another colour its the same) and some of the text is black rather than white on the inside arm but they even have ‘Made in the USA’ and ‘Jawbone’ moulded into the frame. They are very good copies although knowing the variable quality of DX stock they may very well be more obviously ‘knock-off’ when you get them.

clubber
    Free Member

cyclestore are legit so you’re fine.

chrisdw
    Free Member

How long they take to deliver from DX?

njee20
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the crash replacement I take it the frames need to be snapped rather than just badly scratched up….have an old pair of half jackets that took a grinding a few years back.

They replaced the frame on my Radars last week, the finish had come off (admittedly there was a problem with them, but I’ve not bothered to do anything for 4 years), they sent me a brand new frame for £20, I’m happy.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I sent back a ~20 year old pair of knackered Mk1 Eye Jackets and they’ve offered 40% off any new pair of Oakleys. That makes a genuine set of Jawbones £114, not bad in my book.

TiRed

Eyes are too poorly for Oakley. Has anyone managed to have a pair of Jawbones glazed with +2.75 or more prescription. For £10 I could buy a pair to test first.

speaker2animals

Any feedback on delivery/service from DX? Placed an order on 20th and order tracking has just sat at Paid ever since. Delivery according to their timeline should be any day now. I emailed today but no feedback so far. What are they like for refunds on cancellation?

clubber
    Free Member

I got an email on Sunday saying they were out of stock.

I got an email yesterday saying they’ve been shipped. they state 15 to 20 days to arrive.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

paid on the 19th for mine and still at the “Payment Confirmed” status 🙁

Lifer
    Free Member

How much R&D goes into sunglasses FFS?

russjp
    Free Member

I got my DX split jacket copies today, took exactly two weeks from ordering to delivery. Very pleased with them, comfy and pretty good quality. I’ve had many pairs of oakleys in the past but can no longer afford the expense of genuine oakley anymore. These cost me £12, if they last me a summer I will be a happy boy

speaker2animals

I’ll give it another week and see if I get a reply to my email or if my order status changes ( or even if the glasses arrive).

muddyfunster
    Free Member

russjp – Member

I got my DX split jacket copies today, took exactly two weeks from ordering to delivery. Very pleased with them, comfy and pretty good quality. I’ve had many pairs of oakleys in the past but can no longer afford the expense of genuine oakley anymore. These cost me £12, if they last me a summer I will be a happy boy

How close a copy are they?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘DX jawbone style glasses – compatibility with genuine jawbones?’ is closed to new replies.