Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Dura Ace 2013 – 11speed plus hydro road discs! (maybe…)
  • clubber
    Free Member

This is being reported in several places though just as an ‘insider’ view rather than anything confirmed. No suprise on either if that’s the case though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-dura-ace-di2-11-speed-and-disc-brakes-for-2013-32091

ahwiles
    Free Member

11 speed?

this madness has to stop.

glenh
    Free Member

Why would anyone want disc brakes on a road bike?
    I certainly wouldn’t on any big alpine descent.

theflatboy
    Free Member

rims can be lighter and not enslaved to providing a braking surface, brakes can be better. good reasons!

fontmoss
    Free Member

11 speed?

this madness has to stop.

doesn’t campag do an 11 speed groupset already?

nickf
    Free Member

Don’t Tarmac make roads already?

This has to stop. It could be a gay Hindu badger’s face next, y’know.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

CX?

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

As already suggested sounds like the disc option is aimed at new CX regs.

tang
    Free Member

Says a mechanical caliper first, compatible with older sti units, hydro later. Good move to offer both.

clubber
    Free Member

11 speed works fine on Campag and has done for a couple of years so I don’t see an issue there though a new standard is annoying sounding.

Shimano need a decent mechanical ‘road’ disc caliper as they’re currently way behind the BB7 as a choice for CX/road discs. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I do! More power = less hurty tiny hands on big long fast descents. 😀

I predicted tiny discs on road bikes years ago. Then Lance Armstrong agreed with me, CX adopted them, and now it’s only a matter of time until the UCI relents and we see them everywhere.

Where’s aP?

Told ya so! 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Changing BB standard?

A new freehub standard?

*bangs head against wall*

At least the BB is possibly going to be an existing one not yet another random set of numbers and letters. Fingers crossed they adopt the campag freehub size as well, about time some manufacturers started using common systems rather than being individual for the sake of it.

Thankfully MTB seems to lag behind the road by a few years so the daftest ideas filter out.

clubber
    Free Member

Fingers crossed they adopt the campag freehub size

Very unlikely though they *might* adopt the Campag sprocket spacing.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

What? So you’d prefer your rims to heat up, increasing pressure in your tyres and heat in your pads, so you risk blowouts and brake fade, at 40mph into hairpins….

Big descents are exactly where you gain with discs.

Discs are inevitable. Only people who prefer sh!t brakes will stay with rims brakes…

2tyred

There’s clearly an arms race going on here – the manufacturers of groupsets against the manufacturers of razor blades. 11 speed DA? In your face, Wilkinson Sword.

Plenty of pros for having hydro discs on road bikes – you don’t need to be descending in the Alps to realise that, try the Trossachs in the wet with a carbon braking surface. Only cons I can see are the need for a new STI design and the fact it’ll make beautiful wheels look appalling.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

rims can be lighter

Lighter = better?

glenh – Member

Remember all the Pyrenean descent crashes this year.. Tommo, Frank, Voeckler’s..

Carbon rim braking performance has been improving but is still not a patch on aluminium (allegedly) (they still lose power in the wet and ‘grab’ or ‘fade’ when they get too hot).

It would be interesting to do some analysis. Not just weight but other implications – stress on fork blades, spokes etc.

If it could be shown that discs = less weight or marginally more weight at the centre of the wheel but less rolling resistance overall and consistent braking performance (incl. ‘feel’ and ‘power’ in all conditions) then I can see roadies buying it.

crazy-legs

Previously, the main reason not to have discs has been weight. Now that even an off-the-peg road bike can be below the minimum UCI weight limit of 6.8kg, that’s less of an issue.

Now there’s just the engineering issues to overcome and the fact that frames, forks and wheels will need complete re-designs to handle the mounting and the stresses of disc brakes. That’s going to be the biggest hurdle, getting it widely accepted and basically making EVERYTHING that has gone before (wheels/frames/forks wise) completely obsolete.

Oh and it has to be accepted by the UCI. Without that change to the UCI Tech Regs, the idea is going nowhere.

As to 11-speed, Shimano have done it the right way round. Electronic first, then 11-speed.

fisha
    Free Member

forks and wheels will need complete re-designs to handle the mounting and the stresses of disc brakes.

But its not as if its ground breaking technology or research for that re-design … there is years of data from the disc setups already available … esp in light weight carbon frames of hardtails.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

if i remember correctly geraints crash as per that photo was more to do with that wet / oily patch on the road and his wheel locking up than not being able to stop.

glenh
    Free Member

What? So you’d prefer your rims to heat up, increasing pressure in your tyres and heat in your pads, so you risk blowouts and brake fade, at 40mph into hairpins….

Big descents are exactly where you gain with discs.

Discs are inevitable. Only people who prefer sh!t brakes will stay with rims brakes…

Well, I only ever experienced over heating and brake fade on discs.
    Plus, the rim brakes on my road bike are powerful enough to lock either wheel in the dry or wet, so they seem fine to me.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

As to 11-speed, Shimano have done it the right way round. Electronic first, then 11-speed.

Why is that the ‘right’ way round? Looks like their ‘top of the range’ electronic shifters are ‘only’ going to be 10 speed. And the cheaper mechanical stuff is ‘better’ because it’s 11 speed. Marketing guys are going have a field day with trying to explain that one/hype it up.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

clubber – Member

This is being reported in several places though just as an ‘insider’ view rather than anything confirmed. No suprise on either if that’s the case though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-dura-ace-di2-11-speed-and-disc-brakes-for-2013-32091

I made a sex wee…disc brakes, 11 speed…what next wireless shifters? 😛 Looking forward to this!

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

We don’t need 11 speed, well I don’t and I don’t need 10 speed either, 9 speed is more than enough for my needs.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Plus, the rim brakes on my road bike are powerful enough to lock either wheel in the dry or wet, so they seem fine to me.

Why do people think that just because a brake can lock a wheel, they must be powerful?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Well, I only ever experienced over heating and brake fade on discs.

I assume you’re talking about MTB riding now… I don’t doubt your statement is true but what would the situation be if you were using V-brakes? Better? or worse? You may have a short memory on how good rim brakes were on MTBs!

MTB discs may well suffer fade on big Alpine descents but a rim brake setup would be A LOT worse. You may well be dead!

Give it time… technology shifts always take time. But it’ll happen.

You won’t see a £500+ MTB without discs nowadays. Commuters are going the same way, and CXers are moving too, and fast. Roadies will be the last to shift obviously, but that’s no big surprise.

acjim
    Free Member

So how small could you go for rotors on a road disc and still have power / temperature control? 100mm rotors would look sweet (and be more aero)!

Fairings on the frame and fork?

Tiny calipers?

Skinny hose?

Very cool i think

TheDoctor
    Free Member

DA 11 oooooh I will have some of that, electronic you say? Awesome!

As for disc brakes on my road bike, no thanks, shove that idea where the sun don’t shine. And as for the whiny people “boohoo my rim brakes are rubbish” two things spring to mind, set them up properly with good pads, and buy better calipers, like Ciamillo Zero G’s 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No is too expense.

theflatboy
    Free Member

boriselbrus – Member

Why do people think that just because a brake can lock a wheel, they must be powerful?

or be comfortable to use for prolonged periods. or the only option. 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

…As for disc brakes on my road bike, no thanks, shove that idea where the sun don’t shine. And as for the whiny people “boohoo my rim brakes are rubbish” two things spring to mind, set them up properly with good pads, and buy better calipers…

hmm, i don’t want ‘road’ discs because i think they’ll be an improvement in braking power – my callipers really are quite good. they could be better, but it’s already easy to lock the wheels when it’s wet.

no, i want discs because the very idea of using the rim as a braking surface is stupid. My lovely rims are getting worn away every time i slow down.

my ‘new’ wheels are only a year old, but i can already feel/see the wear – the rim wall is noticeable thinner.

i’d rather replace a £20 disc every few years, than a £50rim + spokes + build every few years.

theflatboy
    Free Member

and keeping the braking surface out of any water on the road makes just as much sense on a road bike as on a mountain bike.

fourbanger
    Free Member

boriselbrus – Member

If your braking force exceeds the friction coefficient of your tyres, your doing ok on the braking front.

BadlyWiredDog

If you could have disc brakes on a road or cross bike without a significant weight – and in time – cost penalty, why would you not want them for any reason other than knee-jerk conservatism and some odd traditionalist loyalty to ‘the way things are supposed to be’?

theflatboy
    Free Member

but the ability to lock a wheel is a strange way to illustrate that your brakes can’t be improved on.

theflatboy
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

If you could have disc brakes on a road or cross bike without a significant weight – and in time – cost penalty, why would you not want them for any reason other than knee-jerk conservatism and some odd traditionalist loyalty to ‘the way things are supposed to be’?

well said.

aracer
    Free Member

If

aracer
    Free Member

Very unlikely though they *might* adopt the Campag sprocket spacing.

Which would be just as useful – if they do change the width I’d be surprised if they don’t keep the same spline pattern for backwards compatibility. Only an extra couple of mm required to be the same width as Campag freehubs for the same spacing. I can actually see it making real commercial sense for Shimano as they’re likely to sell hubs and cassettes to people who have a Campag drivetrain, without really losing any sales in the other direction. I’d certainly run a Shimano cassette on my Campag bike if I could get one with the right spacing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How many people wanting hydraulic disks have actualy already spent the £200+(over the normal DA STI price) per brake that Shimano will want for it? I’m guessing if you’ve already paid for swiss stop pads bling callipers etc then maybe there’s a point.

But bear in mind

Weekend warrior -200lb
    TDF rider – 150lb?

F=ma, e=mv2, e=fd, s=ut+0.5at2 and all that jazz, do TDF riders need more braking power?

pegglet
    Free Member

ah well,(trudges to wheely bin and lobs my Di2 in…..)

CaptJon
    Free Member

I thought the old adage was better brakes = going faster for longer. Maybe we’ll see even faster descents…?

Imagine the cost of hydraulic STIs. Actually, don’t, it might be dangerous for those with heart conditions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dura Ace 2013 – 11speed plus hydro road discs! (maybe…)’ is closed to new replies.