Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Dunwich Dynamo
  • graeme-berry
    Free Member

Nearly that time of year.
    Who is riding back as well.
    here is my ride last year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/165519260

fasthaggis
    MoreCashThanDash

Think everyone is riding back as the train company that has won awards for it’s cycle policy has thrown it’s toys out the pram.

dknwhy

I’m doing it. Riding down to Ipswich at the end. Have prebooked and reserved a space.
    Bit daunted by the distance!

crazy-legs

Might do.
    Done it several times before and we’ve always meant to ride back at some point. Will see what the weather is doing nearer the time, I’m not doing it in the rain (again).

brooess
    Free Member

Was going to do it last year, got ill and didn’t.
    Hoping to do it this year for the first time. Not sure how we’re getting home again yet

whippersnapper
    Free Member

When is it? Everything went so well last time (perfect weather, no mechanicals, got to dunwich for a swim as the sun rose, fry up in the pub and a place on the train from Ipswich) I am not sure I should tempt fate. However, always thought I should try it on the singlespeed one day.

crazy-legs

When is it?

Saturday 4th / Sunday 5th July

However, always thought I should try it on the singlespeed one day.

I’ve done it on mine a couple of times. 48:16 one year, 48:17 the other time. Both worked nicely on the flattish terrain.

hh45
    Free Member

Graeme, stop showing off! I’ll be there with you and Mike but have booked transport back home.

crazy-legs

A week to go then. Weather looks reasonable.
    Who’s in?

Spud

Was doing it, combination of reasons means I’m not. Means there’s two singles from Nottingham to London going with booked bike spaces. Were getting a lift back, now not, one of the reasons I’m not doing it.

Sandwich

I’m in for a second time. This year, if we avoid the second pint in The Ship, we’re looking to ride back to Ipswich. Last year a second beer caused a lack of enthusiasm as the rain came down again. We called Sandwich taxis for a collection.
    Travelling down by train, tickets bought a fortnight ago for a 20:55 arrival at Liverpool Street.

A tailwind has been mentioned in reverent tones on the Dynamo Facebook page.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m doing it. Dropping car at Dunwich, riding to London, meeting wifelet at London Fields riding to Dunwich back with her in tow.

cotic853
    Free Member

4th DD for me on single speed Roadrat. Looking forward to seeing the moon again this year !

crazy-legs

Plan for us is to ride out there, ride home although the ‘ride home’ bit may well become a ride to some nearby town and get the train. Cambridge maybe, just for something different to Ipswich (and to avoid the 1000 other riders all trying that!)

stevestunts
    Free Member

I’m in. First time for me, but assume it can’t be horrendous if people contemplate riding back to London.

It better be enjoyable, as the total cost of me doing the ride (travel, etc) is steadily rising towards that of a cheap weekend break for two in mainland Europe.

Don’t mention that last bit to my wife.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m tempted to give it a go, though it’d be last minute with no travel booked.

i guess i could do it on my Brompton and get a regular train back.
    Or just take a tent.

hmm…

how sociable is it? anyone turned up and done it “solo”?

schmiken

The wife has just convinced me. Planning to get train from Diss – is there likely to be any bike spaces on Saturday?

DavidB
    Free Member

Very very sociable, and Yes I’ve done it solo twice

crazy-legs

Yes, a couple of times, you just end up meeting people on the ride.
    Try and get into a group early on, there have been instances in the past of drivers and/or drunken locals getting a bit arsey. It only tends to be the London and Essex suburbs, once it’s past midnight everything quietens down considerably.

Got a feeling this year is going to be a big one, the weather is looking decent.

richardthird

Riding the double. Parking van at Dun with food & bbq before a dip & kip Sun morning, then drive home.

Sandwich

Diss should be ok Mike, you may need to take a train after 6pm to get a space. Ring the call centre to get your bike booked, not possible on-line.

acsevens

I tried getting reservations for the train down on the Saturday (from Manningtree) and they were booked up from 4pm to about 8pm. They are apparently taking a hard line this year. Getting a lift instead.

Will probably ride back to Manningtree in the mornign so may try and tag on with people heading in Ipswich direction!

fatmax

If anyone does fancy the northern / Scottish homage to the DunRun next year, it’ll be 18th June. We ran it 20th June just gone and it went like clockwork and got rave reviews and feedback. Free to enter, 100.5m, chip shop in Moffat stays open late, and then bacon sarnies at the end at the beach at Cramond (Edinburgh). 250 riders in its first year!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ride-to-the-sun-a-northern-scottish-dunwich-dynamo
    http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk and
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-to-the-Sun-Scotland/772698899433611
    @RidetotheSun
    Good luck to any DunRun-ers this weekend.
    Cheers
    Fraser

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Joining the dun run in finchingfield from my parents place nearby then riding back again sunday morning. totals around 230k. Unfit and unprepared but excited and looking forward to it. Roll on the bacon butties in the cottage garden near framlingham….

crazy-legs

Roll on the bacon butties in the cottage garden near framlingham….

Judging from some of the comments and planning on the DD Facebook page, there’ll be a riot if that house isn’t serving!

crazy-legs

Heading up there now, I reckon this year is going to be massive. The DD Facebook page is almost falling over with new posts!

oldnpastit

Had a nice swim 🙂
    Anyone else do this?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

well done to all those that did.. if all goes well I hope to do it next year!

DavidB
    Free Member

I met richardthethrid as we were both doing the double, and both regretting it as the headwind and heat from Dunwich to London were painful! Ride back was ace though and I’m well proud of my misses who did her longest ride ever by 60 miles that night.

acsevens

Fantastic ride this year. Warm, tailwind, and a beautiful sunrise. Good friendly crowd as always. The extra 40 miles back to home at the end were less fun, respect to everyone who did the double.

And RESPECT to the nutter who did it on a fat bike!

spectraken
    Free Member

Yep this year’s one was good, great weather, not too hot nor too cold. Luckily I missed the morning rain unlike last year, when I got drenched. Fair play to anyone who did the double!!

dknwhy

My first time this year and definitely not the last. Did the extra miles to Ipswich so 150 in total.
    Trains were a problem so took me ages to get home!
    Cracking ride and a brilliant atmosphere. Loved seeing the sun rise and all the twinkling lights.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Enjoyed it a lot. Great excuse to drink a beer or two before 6am. I was pretty immobile after that, mind.

Sandwich

We got back as far as Snape before the rain came. There was an open cafe and Sandwich Taxis were deployed again. My mate was absolutely spent and would have slept on the outside table in the wet if I had left him to it.

There were some soggy looking people on the A12 who had trainsreplacement buses to catch from Ipswich.

oldnpastit

richardthird

I met richardthethrid as we were both doing the double, and both regretting it as the headwind and heat from Dunwich to London were painful! Ride back was ace though and I’m well proud of my misses who did her longest ride ever by 60 miles that night.

Good to meet you David, was hot and headwindy but no regrets from me, was bearable as long as you kept moving. My mate did the double mostly one handed though after a tumble 10 miles in. Bent hanger, new chain needed, oh and what turns out to be a broken Scaphoid. The kind lady in that cafe had just given him some paracetamol.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Dunwich Dynamo’ is closed to new replies.