Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Duct tape ghetto tubeless
  • Entonox
    Free Member

Anyone use this method?

Been using the BMX tube technique with great success for a couple of years. Now fancy giving this a try. Is it as reliable?

Cheers

dobo
    Free Member

if you means does it seal the holes and build up the inside channel of the rim, then yes it reliable and more reliable than insulating tape, never got on with the tube method myself

aracer
    Free Member

Yes – back in the day it was what Stan recommended doing before he started selling kits (I’ve been running tubeless with normal tyres since 2002, when nobody sold conversion kits or special rims). However this is what Stan recommended using rather than duct tape, and what I’ve always used.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this stuff is the best. Much cheaper than Stans (not hard…) and good enough for 90psi on road tubeless.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-ROLL-19mm-x-50m-Crossweave-Reinforced-Tape-/180337800112?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item29fcf873b0

Entonox
    Free Member

Excellent.

Is this set-up more prone to ‘burping’ in your experiences?

How many layers of tape do you recommend using?

Cheers

dobo
    Free Member

that stuff looks good reggie, might give it a try at that price

reggiegasket
    Free Member

– lightly sand rim
    – clean ith brake cleaner
    – dry off (I get the blowtorch on it 😯 )
    – staring opposite the valve hole, stick tape to rim bed, pull TIGHT to get a good seal and no bubbles
    – two full runs of tape
    – fit valve
    – fit tyre
    – pour in goop and seat tyre
    – blow up and wiggle about

reggiegasket
    Free Member

– lightly sand rim
    – dry off (I get the blowtorch on it 😯 )
    – staring opposite the valve hole, stick tape to rim bed, pull TIGHT to get a good seal and no bubbles
    – two full runs of tape
    – fit valve
    – fit tyre
    – pour in goop and seat tyre
    – blow up and wiggle about

thepurist

Pah – it was looking good until reggie said you have to do it twice 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

Aracer, I used that tape before and it works well until you need to replace a broken spoke and then stuff is a nightmare to remove and you’d have gladly paid the extra for the yellow rim tape

aracer
    Free Member

Looks pretty much like the original Stans instructions, reggie (though I don’t recall him mentioning a blowtorch!)

However:

I’ve always used isopro – it’s what brake cleaner should be, but sometimes the cleaner has other additives (also cheaper than brake cleaner – buy from local chemist or off ebay).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use insulation tape (4 layers, 2 biased to each side) in DT X470 rims and insuation tape (about 30g) and stans strips in Mavic EN521 rims.

Tried gaffa tape but it never really worked very well for me.

mav12
    Free Member

what goup do you use i have 2 bottles of slime knockin about could i use this

Entonox
    Free Member

Cheers for that reggie. And I’ve ordered some of that tape you recommended.

mav12 – I’ve always used Stan’s Sealant

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use the isopro on brake discs but for rims I just spin the wheel and squirt some brake cleaner.

The blowtorch just dries it out really well 8) , and gets the rim warm, so the 3M tape sticks very well. I’ve had my road rims up to 90-100 psi with the 3M crossweave tape and it’s stayed airtight – good enough for me.

mega
    Free Member

I tried using electricians tape last night and it didn’t work despite looking like it would.
    So I went back to using duct tape as per the posts above.

Just fitted some 2.1 Panaracer normal sidewall tyres which were a bit of a faff.

useful extra tricks to get the to inflate and stay inflated:
    – soapy water on the bead
    – a luggage strap round circumference of the tyre (this pushes the bead out towards rim)
    – leave freshly inflated wheel @50PSI horizontal, flip and shake every 30 mins for a few hours

once that faff is over you are good for months of puncture free goodness

mega
    Free Member

one more tip which worked for me – wd40 before the brake cleaner shifts old adhesive from the rim

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is this set-up more prone to ‘burping’ in your experiences?

Yes. Quite alot more IME.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Duct tape ghetto tubeless’ is closed to new replies.