Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DT Swiss forks
  • nickc

Anyone have any real world experience with these? looking at the XMM140 as an alternative to Rev/Fox.

Well built? easy service? PITA, don’t buy?

twoniner
    Free Member

I had the DT Swiss EXC 150 forks with carbon lowers on my Pace 506. I never had any issues with them, nice and stiff. The plushest forks I have owned.

CaptainSlow

I’ve been running the 120 version for 18 months and they’re still working well.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Just purchased 2010 twin shot xmm 140’s with remote and 15mm qr. Dont about 150 miles, so far so good.

Much stiffer than fox’s, easy to setup. So far so I’m impressed.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve been running EXM130s on the Ti456 for about a year and a half now. Only about a million times better than the 130mmRevs they replaced. Much more smoother and responsive. in short..Faster, stiffer, lighter, better.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i have a pair of exm130’s to go on my wife’s 5-spot… they haven’t been used in anger yet, but they look the nuts!… very light, VERY plush and although they are 9mm qr (there is a 15mm version available), we will be running them with a superstar 9mm bolt through with hope pro3 hubs, so they should be nice and stiff too

nickc

Keva, that is a really nice looking bike. Nice one.

I hear what you’re saying, any chance there’s a bit of “nice new forks syndrome” in there? If not, that’s a pretty resounding review!

Keva
    Free Member

nic, they must have been on the bike for at least a year and a half, probably closer to two. I remember when they were first fitted the bike really came alive. Previously with the Revs I’d always ummed and ahhed about whether the Ti456 was the right bike for me but the EXMs transformed it somewhat and now it’s sooo much better with definitely improved handling. As for servicing I don’t know, something did go wrong with the lockout /launch control a while back, it stopped locking down but a mate soon fixed it without any trouble. Setting them up is a piece of cake, blat in the required air, rebound is adjustable from the top and compression is a dial underneath. Lock out is a push down on the top and the launch dial determines the amount of hit to release it. As for riding I’ve rattled it round plenty of trails and they’ve certainly been given a good workout. Always smooth, always responsive.

edsbike
    Free Member

Love mine. Stiff, light, smooth, less servicing than Fox. They look ace too.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Got some on my Yeti. They’ve been OK at best.

They leak oil on the brakes occasionally.

Travel adjust broke after 20 hours – fixed under warranty.

The travel reduced setting makes the fork too firm IMHO.

Well controlled damping, torsionally very stiff.

Next time, I’ll probably get some Fox TALAS.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve had a set of XMM100 29er forks for about a year. They were OEM on my Canyon. Out of the box the two collets which the 15mm axel thread into had debonded and the forks required sending to Pace as a warrenty return. Quite a few other DT Swiss owners had the same issue on here but it seem limited to a run of 29er forks with a dodgy batch of adhesive. The warrenty return was smooth through Pace and took about 3weeks over all.

The forks them selves have been good, they arent as plush as Rockshox or Fox though, but definatly feel stiffer. They also take significantly longer to bed in than other forks i’ve had – Rock shox, Fox, Magura and cannondale forks all are super plush out of the box in comparison. They took abot 100miles or so to get the best out of them. My favorite thing about them is the lock out, the only fork that is better (imo) is the old cannondale headshox (cant cmment on the lefty as i’ve not tried it). As far as traditional telescopic forks go the lock out is great.

Personaly, i dont know if i’d buy another DT Swiss fork, when decision time comes it’ll be a hard decision – I prefer the actin of Rock Shox, but the stiffness and lock out of DT Swiss.

nickc

monkeyboy, that’s actually helped a lot, I like to run my forks pretty hard, hate the soggy feel.

Cheers for your words guys.

cheers_drive

I had the same forks as monkeyboyjc and echo his thoughts. Had the collet issue too and the damper unit failed – the replacement took 7 weeks, maybe because they were new to the market.
    I replaced them with Rebas in the end because I like my forks plush rather that racy, they never felt bedded in even after 6 months.

ashfanman
    Free Member

The plushest forks I have owned.

I had a carpark test on a Scott with DT forks and this was very much my reaction. Almost ludicrously plush. Light too. Shame I couldn’t give them a proper test – I’d be keen to see what they were like out on the trails.

Houns

I have two pairs

EXM 150’s and 130’s

Love them

Kuco

I’ve got some and they have been fine so far.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Love mine.

Bought them a year and a half ago and only ever give them a wipe after each ride and they work like new.

180hrs service interval, fit and forget forks

upload pics

spectabilis
    Free Member

EXM150’s here ….Buttery smooth made The RS n Fox forks in the workshop seem like suntours!
    I did spend quite a bit of time messing with pressures though before getting them right .

chestrockwell

I’ve got some XMM140’s on my 5 and think they’re ace. Better then the Rev’s they replaced, the Talas before that and the Floats before that. Highly recommended. 8)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss forks’ is closed to new replies.