Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DT Revolution spokes- how 'fragile' are they? Any heavy riders?
  • hora
    Free Member

Any experiences and do you need to avoid really if you are weighty or ride rocky trails?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Revolutions?

hora
    Free Member

Oops corrected!

fenboy

i have dt 4.2ds on 240 hubs built with revolutions, i am 6,3 & 16st never had any problems. Built by that roger musson fellow who said its more to do with the build quality when i questioned the weight issue.

ridden all sorts on them and they've never even gone out of true in 3 years so far

baccodaddy
    Free Member

i run them on dt 4.2 rims and xtr hubs.done numerous races including transwales.managed to crack the rim all the way round but didnt break a spoke .

njee20
    Free Member

Specialized specced them as standard on the 2005 Enduro, the first year it went 'burly'. They're a lot tougher than folk give credit for, definitely all about the build quality!

GW
    Free Member

avoid if you are heavy or ride harsh!

they're not going to snap but they do build a flexy high maintenance wheel no matter what Roger Musson says.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on many variables. Not as tough as competitions but many get away with simlar maintenance.

fenboy

true enough, I'm building my next set with competitions, well sapim equiv. and with hindsight i tend not to use the dt wheels for anything too heavy duty now

stooo
    Free Member

If you're a rough rider, I'd avoid them… similar approach for sapim lasers.

If you want a tough built and very light wheel, I'd look to Sapim CX-Rays. Super strong, super light. Strongest spoke available and lighter than revs and lasers.

Currently getting a set of wheels built up with CX-RAYs as we speak.

njee20
    Free Member

The same weight as Revs actually, if not very slightly heavier, although they do have a very high fatigue strength yes.

I've had 3 sets of wheels with CX-Rays, but wouldn't bother again, too much faff/expense for too little benefit IMO. Don't let that put you off your wheels mind!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sapim CX-Rays. Super strong, super light.

Barely any lighter and just as flexy.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, I didn't mention that, but they flex just as much as Revs/Aerolites.

keavo
    Free Member

had a set built by merlincycles a long time ago. they were fine for me on all sorts of terrain but i would now say pointless unless your racing, even then maybe not any real advantage. i recently built a wheel using them and they are hard to work with due to spoke wind up. i don't think i'd build a wheel with them again, i would try to save weight on the rim and tyre and use dt comps.

nickc

Built my last wheel with CX-Rays (just because) can't say I've noticed a massive difference over the DT I'd normally use.

njee20
    Free Member

Slight aero advantage of bladed spokes on the road, no real advantage on the MTB.

I've broken several nipples too, which has exactly the same effect as breaking a spoke, but can be very slightly easier to remedy! By making the spokes stronger you merely shift the issue to the next week link.

A lot of the German shops doing good deals on wheels still use them, they've never been all that popular over here.

The wind-up can be a real problem, particularly once the nipples have seized solid onto the spoke! You get tools to hold them still, but it's still an extra faff!

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I have used them for years without problems (6.2" 11 and a half/12ish stone)

As mentioned above, all about build quality not what you build them with (too a degree, wouldn't say do DH on a XC wheel) but I have had some standard/stock wheels that I have broken though sprinting and then had superlight race wheels that have done everything without bating an eyelid. Find a good wheel builder and you will be fine, a bad build and you will have endless problems…but thats the same whatever spokes you use.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DT Revolution spokes- how 'fragile' are they? Any heavy riders?’ is closed to new replies.