Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Dry Chain Lube – any good ones out there?
  • mttm
    Free Member

Trying the impossible here – would like to get a serious answer to a thread with "lube" in the title… ah well, here goes!

After years of using Motorex Wet and Dry Lubes, they went and reformulated them last year, and not to put too fine a point on it, they're now both utterly pants. The new dry lube is particularly awful – gone in minutes (less, if there's a puddle).

I went back to good old Finish Line XC for the winter, but am now interested in something for the dryer months. I'm hoping to narrow the field a little before I start buying various little bottles at ludicrous prices, so any recommendations?

Criteria would include (in order):
    1. Long lasting.
    2. Clean running.
    3. No waxy gunk build up on transmission parts

Driller
    Free Member

Finish line Teflon Dry lube. It works great, it's clean, and you can lube your forks with it too.

I use it year-round.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

I've been using Squirt lube for the past year. Its been really good.

http://www.in2dust.co.uk/

hilldodger
    Free Member

I've setteld on Rock And Roll Extreme as a good all round 'dry' lube.
    It seems to be pretty much 4-season, keeps the chain running clean, no build up of gunk and although some would call £5 expensive I do find it's negligable in the overall bike budget !

13thfloormonk

Very impressed with "Squirt" lube, which I found in Biketrax.

Its a dry lube, runs very quiet and smooth and seems to last OK.

You can't just apply and go though, you need to apply, leave it for five minutes, then apply again.

I needed to re-apply about as often as I've re-applied finish line wet, which was a reasonable interval (60km of wet almost-highlands riding) although to apply it properly takes 10 minutes or so, enough time for a rollie and some cake 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

using pedros ice wax for years now gone on to ice wax 2.0, works for me all year round in Mendip sh1te

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

rock n roll extreme for me – great chain lube

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use putoline chain wax. I am convinced it has increased my chain life bu at least two fold over using finishline wet lube if not more and only needs applying ever few hundred miles not twice a ride 🙂

its a faff to apply and it might be slightly less efficient pedalling as it is a solid wax so has stiction – but I am totally evangelical about it and haven't used anything else for a year now. Its cheap to – £18 a kg – a years use on four bikes and I still have most of it eft.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I found white lighting wax lube very good in summer months. Now I'm using purple extreme all year and very happy with it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I found white lightening and purple extreme to be useless.

mttm
    Free Member

Not heard of Squirt, sounds interesting. Never really got on with Finish Line dry, always found it a bit too thin.

I thought Rock 'n Roll Extreme and Purple Extreme were wet lubes – do they really run that clean in the dry? If they do, they could be very interesting.

Never heard of Putoline chain wax… just off to look that one up!

13thfloormonk

Interesting TJ, interesting…

hilldodger
    Free Member

You can't just apply and go though, you need to apply, leave it for five minutes, then apply again

That's what I like about the Rock and Roll – squirt, wipe and ride.

Plus for long haul multi-day rides you can just pop it in your pack for mid tour lubing 😉

I thought Rock 'n Roll Extreme and Purple Extreme were wet lubes

well I guess they're on the wet side of dry !!
    You dribble the lube onto a moving chain and wipe the excess off with a rag, it does dry out but still slightly wet to the touch.
    Never found a problem using in wet or dry conditions…

13thfloormonk

Mid tour lubing is/was an excuse for me to stop and have a rest, don't want to be too efficient..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Mid tour lubing is/was an excuse for me to stop and have a rest, don't want to be too efficient..

True enough, but you can't do that with the solid wax type lubes as you need a stove to heat them on and the chain needs to be removed and actually 'dunked' in the melted wax…..

mttm
    Free Member

TJ – I'm sure that wax works well, but break the chain and soak it in a tin on the stove? Not for me I'm afraid. Thanks for the info, though!

simon1975

+1 for Rock 'n' Roll Extreme, but it does need re-applying after every ride (that's AFTER, not before).

Free Squirt here. Not tried mine yet.

Macavity
    Free Member

Dry lube = do not go out in the rain, doesn't it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sram link so breaking the chain is no hassle – and it really needs to be done so much less often – 1/10 as often as a bottle of lube – and the sprockets stay clean. You don't clean the chin either – just drop it in.

it is a messy faff tho – no doubt but the advantages are worth it.

mttm
    Free Member

hilldodger – your description of on the wet side of dry is very much what I'm looking for. That's what I used too like about Motorex, it ran clean but had a some resistance to the occasional bit of wet that you encounter on most rides (even in the summer).

cp

I really rate purple extreme, it's expensive, but you use so little each application (the nozzle helps you save it rather than use it), that it lasts for AGES and works out cheaper than any other lube i've tried so far.

the most extreme consumption was Halfords teflon dry lube – it just gushes out and you go through a bottle in no time. and it makes a mess.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

white lighning works for me if you can put up with a nosiy drive chain .
    trick is to lube night before wipe off excess works well that way .

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Squirt lube = liquid wax which dries like a solida wax 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

hilldodger – your description of on the wet side of dry is very much what I'm looking for.

I've run it all year for my daily offroad commute and fun rides, it is fine in rain/mud.

It only works really well if your drivetrain is clean before applying, doesn't mix well with other oils/greases.

mttm
    Free Member

Just moved back over to Shimano chains after many years on Sram / KMC. Finding them much better, and while I know I can run a powerlink etc. in there, I prefer to use the Shimano pin.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

+1 for finishline teflon

mttm
    Free Member

simon1975, thanks for that free Squirt link.

mttm
    Free Member

Right then, free bottle of Squirt requested for trial purposes and some Rock 'n Roll Extreme ordered from CRC.

JellyBabyLover
    Free Member

Squirt is ace, lashings of it, I'm pissed when I have to put something else on the chain now … coz that means I'll have to degrease. It's called a dry lube because its wax not oil, it its doesn't mean it's only for the dry.

sv

The squirt sample worked well for 2-3 lubes! The thread reminded me to order a 120ml bottle.

mttm
    Free Member

Just out of interest, do you find that Squirt builds up on the cassette over time? This was a problem I had with White Lightening years ago… and it was a right pain to clean off. Moved away from wax lubes after that.

twinklydave

Squirt's certainly the longest lasting wax style lube I've used – by a long way!

It's much easier to clean off too, so it's thumbs up from me 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

No doesn't seem to built up on the cassette IMHO mtm 🙂 Running it on my road bike and my FS 🙂

argyle
    Free Member

Pedro's Go! for moi

Potdog
    Free Member

Been using Ice Wax on the bikes here quite happily for the last 3 years. It works well in this dusty environment where damp and mud is a fair bit less frequent than the UK. So not sure how well it performs in a more mixed environment.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I've found with the squirt that if I apply quite a lot then it will build up on the jockey wheels. but then I'm probably applying too much.

Other than that I've found it to be realy really good in all but the flithiest muddy conditions.

Cleaning is easy too. Just leave the bike to dry, give the chain a wipe down with a rag and then apply.

mttm
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds like Squirt has pretty much universally good reports. Thanks for the feedback.

solar
    Free Member

I've been using squirt over the last year for commuting and off-road duties, highly recommended.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I'm using squirt on all the geared bikes –

First application you degrease the chain (I put the chain in a jam jar full of white spirit). Dry it then apply squirt. Leave to dry then apply again

After that you only need to apply the lube once every application.

Now I always remove the chain when washing the rest of the bike – then apply fresh lube to the dry chain.

Its good stuff – although in the depths of winter I still prefer finish line wet on the single speed. I hate the stuff on a geared bike as it makes such a mess of cassette and jockey wheels, but it really lasts on a single speed, even in the worst rain and mud

Edric64
    Free Member

3in1 type oil from the pound shop works fine as its really cheap I don't mind using it more often it's fine on cables too and the bottle is twice the size of 3 in 1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Dry Chain Lube – any good ones out there?’ is closed to new replies.