Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Drop-bar, single-speed, titanium, hydro disc-braked, softail….
  • ajantom

This might appeal to some on here – the only thing it isn’t is a fatty or a 29er 😉

I’d split the Global up a while ago as my dad was going to use it, but he bought an S-Works M4 frame instead, so it came back to me.
    Had most of the bit in stock bar the Salsa bars, and I’ve always fancied a go at a drop-bar mtb.
    The Magura HS66 lever/Julie caliper hybrid is an idea I’ve had for a while, and I was just waiting for some levers to come up on ebay – they did, so here we are 😀

Build is in progress….

Going for a silver/grey/black build, and I’m thinking that a black seatpost will look a lot nicer. Maybe a Syncros, if I can find one in 27.2.

Ignore the grey gaffer tape on the handlebars, it’s just holding the bar tape in place until I buy some black electrical tape tomorrow!

cyclistm
    Free Member

It looks massive

ajantom

Partly because it has no tyres on!
    Also even though the frame is an 18″ with a 23.25″ TT, the shock placement makes the frame look bigger than it is.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It looks massivehideous

FIFY. 😉

ajantom

It isn’t an exercise in aesthetics 😉 though personally I think the frame has a certain kooky charm to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gonna be way too long!

Kudos re the brake thing tho.

ajantom

Gonna be way too long!

Kudos re the brake thing tho.

What rise/length stem do you recommend then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

whatever works…usually shorter than that – the TT on a flat bar bike is generally 3cm longer than a drop bar bike (I think).

Mind you I am running an 8cm on my 18″ (flat bar) 29er and it works OK.

njee20
    Free Member

[cockney market seller]EYE BLEACH HERE, GET YOUR EYE BLEACH.[/cockney market seller]

Woody
    Free Member

It isn’t an exercise in aesthetics

Quite!

I’ve tried that type of set-up on a few mtb’s and the only ones that work with anything other than a very short stem (which makes handling a bit quick IME) are older geometry (eg. my ’94 Marin) otherwise it is too long a stretch. Even then it tends to give a very low riding position for offroad.

Nice idea with the brakes – good work 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

The eyesight tester in the background, can you make any of the letters out at all?

qwerty
    Free Member

Those brake levers are the proverbial rocking horse poo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs more spoon.

mattsccm
    Free Member

That lever /caliper combo work?
    I had that in mid as well

Teetosugars
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Needs more spoon.

FFS Flashy, don’t encourage him…

ourmaninthenorth

Build is in progress….

JUST STOP NOW AND SAVE YOURSELF..!

ajantom

Lordy, I’d forgotten what a negative bunch STWers are 😆 heaven forbid something different from a riser-barred, 160 travel, ‘AM’ skill compensator sees the light of day 😉
    It’s just a bit of an experiment, and it’s only cost me £25 for the bars so far.

ajantom

Here you are then – looks a lot more in proportion with tyres on and a shorter stem (though one with a higher rise is probably needed)

Fire away…… 😈

captaindanger

Is be interested to know if the brakes work, my guess would be no otherwise people would have done it ages ago! Hope it does though!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll hate the way it rides and get the bits up for sale within months!

Cheezpleez

Looks like a fun experiment. How does it ride?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

AFAIK Vin Cox put together a similar set of brakes on his crosser for the 3 Peaks. Used the same levers that is.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looks good to me. The hi rise stem will help a great deal I think, how is the fit?

ajantom

That lever /caliper combo work?
    I had that in mid as well

Worked very well! Especially given how wet it was out there. The back was a little spongy, but nothing another quick bleed won’t sort.

Is be interested to know if the brakes work, my guess would be no otherwise people would have done it ages ago! Hope it does though!

I suspect that not many people have tried this set-up as the levers are, as someone above pointed out, ‘rocking horse poo’! They hardly ever come up for sale and when they do they command a pretty price. I was lucky and got mine as a NOS set (with Rim brakes attached) for £75 as they’d been mis-named as HS33s as opposed to HS66s on ebay.
    Also you need to have some 2000-2004 ish Julie calipers for it to work, as the later ones are a high pressure system and not compatible.

I reckon you’ll hate the way it rides and get the bits up for sale within months!

Nope, I quite enjoyed it actually 😀 did 25 miles up on Haldon this afternoon.

Looks good to me. The hi rise stem will help a great deal I think, how is the fit?

Very comfy riding position, not too long, but I’ll defo fit a slightly higher rise stem. I’m also going to do another layer of bar tape for comfort.

Burchy1
    Free Member

You are mad 😉
    The Alpine was a little too mainstream and gave you the shakes to do something daft did it?

jools182
    Free Member

Cockentrice

Woody
    Free Member

If you managed 25 miles and still liked it then jobs a good’un. You may well find (as I did) that once you get used to the position there will not be a need a for an extra layer of bar tape, especially if you get a stem with more rise.

Looks very comfy and salsa bars are ace. I bet you put a nice pair of long carbon forks on there eventually though 🙂

ajantom

You are mad
    The Alpine was a little too mainstream and gave you the shakes to do something daft did it?

Hehe, well it seemed like a good idea. I bumped into Del and RIck up on Haldon and I think Del wanted to see the limitations of the bike, so we went down Smelly Ring and Dead Dogs – some of the really steep bits were…..interesting!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Enter the 3 Peaks challenge and win it. I reckon you will mash it up on the descents!

But seriously, would this be legal in a cyclocross event?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

ajantom

Much more sorted now with a shorter/higher stem. Here’s some pics of it in action (thanks to Marcin for the photos)……

tinsy
    Free Member

Hey, its looking like a bike now, I think you chose its best angle though, its still funny looking side on. 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

bloody hell that made a difference. The first few photo’s had me reaching for eye bleach but now looks ok, far more in proportion.

hope it rides well and you! enjoy it, that’s all that matters really

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Drop-bar, single-speed, titanium, hydro disc-braked, softail….’ is closed to new replies.