Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Driving with no Tax and all that…?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

On all the borrowing van ideas, you cannot just borrow a van, with comercial vehicle insurance you have to be named on the policy. FACT.

Before the yes you can if you have full comp and the van is insured blah blah blah, thats just not the case on vans.

Did someone mention Gilera's?

hels
    Free Member

"you cannot just borrow a van" aye you can, I lend people my van all the time – I either add them to my insurance as named driver or they have their own insurance which gives them third party cover with my permission to drive the vehicle.

All I ask for is that it returns clean no matter how dirty it was when I gave it them, and they put gas in it. (I am wise to this and loan it out with about enough to get to the nearest gas station)

Sorry Peter Poddy that wasn't an offer.

Olly
    Free Member

i pressume, as its a bike, it doesnt have any forward facing plates?
    i wouldnt be suprised if average speed cameras and other cameras connected to a network rather than being stanalone, were connected to the DVLA database of untaxed vehicles…..
    whats the probability it conks out on the 120 miles home?
    for the sake of 20/30 quid, get a trailer/van for the day

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What car do you have?

We've had (not all at the same time);

a Moto guzzi V50 mkii

Royal enfield bullet

Vellocet trials bike (50years old, air suspension, stanchions unworn, and damping still working, fox take note!)

in the back of focus and vectra estates!

br
    Free Member

He said he'd get it delivered for £150 – so no round-trip and no need to loose a days' pay – sorted.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

And? So what?

To be fair, I've never had an Italian scooter, but a couple of Duatis and an Aprilia. Mechanically sound as anything, but with, um, interesting electrics. I believe that's generally held to be true of anything two wheeled from Italy.
    Fun enough machinery to put up with the grief though.

tinsy
    Free Member

hels, I dont think your right there, my father in law has a van, his partner has another van both fully comp, they sometimes swap vans, his partner just got done for no insurance driving the father in laws van. I was using the father in laws van on a weekly basis on the misguided knowlege you can if you have your own insurance, I am now named on the policy and thats fine.

They need to be named or it doesnt count.

With cars you can swap and your covered as long as your both fully comp, not so on vans.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Guys, stop giving me a hard time over this please!! We only paid the deposit last night, and I've spent half my time since then trying to get it all organised so I can tax it. Insurance is in place already, but I'm at the mercy of the post getting hold of the certificate. Current owner booked an MOT at the weekend and that's being done today. I'm not confusing anything with anything either! I have a one day window to pick it up. Convenience is nothing to do with it, it logistics if anthing!!!!

I posted this thread to see if anyone had any other ideas on how I can tax it. I didn't know it could be done over the phone, so that's a good idea, and I'm going to see if I can find a post office open on the day as well. If I see my work mate who has the bike trailer this week, I'll see if I can borrow it.

I have no doubt it'll ride back home either, so stop giving me grief about that, because yove not spoken to the seller, so you know precisely diddly-squat! 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Have you had a look at any of them Man & van adverts? I would be interested to know how much one of them guys would charge you for it. By the time you deduct your fuel you may get a nice surprise. May even let you come along in person.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He said he'd get it delivered for £150 – so no round-trip and no need to loose a days' pay – sorted.

Yeah. Right. Sod off!! 🙂

And what's a days pay got to do with it???

sweepy
    Free Member

Id just ride it home, maybe put the tax disc from my car on it and/or amend the number plate with insulating tape to deter police interest, although if they do catch you doing that they'll throw the book at you.

hels
    Free Member

Peter Poddy – whay did you ask for our advice/opinion etc then. Its a forum, if you just wanted re-assurance you should have bought all your friends several beers then asked them if what you are planning is OK.

Tinsy – maybe it depends on the van, mine counts as a car on the Ferry, fits motorbike fine in the back. And the insurance company said it was OK when I called them about letting other people drive it, which is a good enough fact for me.

tinsy
    Free Member

hels, well you cant do more than that to cover your ar5e, the father in law reckoned on it being a comercial and not PLG for his van..

I only mention it as it would be prudent for van owners to do what you did and find out for sure, when I was borrowing his van it turned out I was uninsured.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter Poddy – whay did you ask for our advice/opinion etc then. Its a forum, if you just wanted re-assurance you should have bought all your friends several beers then asked them if what you are planning is OK.

I asked advice to see what my options are on getting hold of some tax, and there's been some other good ideas to, like the trailer which I'd not considered.

What I'm getting is hard time from some people for asking for advice!

My OP never even suggested that I'll ride it untaxed, yet apparently I'm confusing 'convenience' with the law and eveyone assumes I'll be doing the wrong thing, or want 'reassurance' (WHAT????) I might do, but that's no concern of yours, and not the question I asked

Please tell me what I was 'planning to do' from my OP?!

I'm getting a hard time for OTHER PEOPLE'S suggestions, basically!

STICK TO THE BLOODY QUESTION!!!!!
    😉

oldgit
    Free Member

IME you can get away with stuff if you really didn't know the situation, but having an understanding about what you were doing wouldn't look too good if you were stopped.

One of my cars was picked up by those support officers for no insurance, they called in the police and I got 6 points, a fine and car towed. I had all the documentation on me including the insurance document, but there had been a queery unanswered and it was cancelled. All my other cars both personal and business were checked and theye were all fine. The two officers said they would have let it go, but as it had been called in!

tinsy
    Free Member

PP, in the doomsmonger's defense, the thread is titled "DRIVING with no tax and all that".

I guess they all read into that as I did, that you was going to chance it.

I am more peeved no one has mentioned my little Gilera!! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP, in the doomsmonger's defense, the thread is titled "DRIVING with no tax and all that".

True. A thread title designed to get people to read and otherwise boring post and hopefully make me some reasonable suggestions.

STW? Reasonable? I should have known better I s'pose…. 🙄

genesis
    Free Member

The ANPR system will pick up you have no tax, therefore a tag from the law. The database now tels the police if it have tax, insurance and mot.
    No tax or mot doesn't invalidate your insurance but having neither won't let you tax a vehicle as its not roadworthy. There is a loop hole in that it is legal to use a vehicle on the public highway with no mot when its booked in to a centre for test and you are on your way there to have it done, maybe it follows to tax too but have no idea.

nasher
    Free Member

I havent bothered reading this all but please excuse me if this has been covered.

NO tax or NO MOT will NOT void your insurance.

Under EU rules any car can be insured third party regardless of its condition.

YES you will be fined for no MOT and no tax but you are still insured.

I know this because I got stopped when my MOT expired the day before (i did book it in for 2 days time) and the copper left me off, and told me to drive it home, I said am I legal to drive, he said yes as I am insured.

coppers tend to clamp down on those with no insurance and if you explain yor situation you may be OK.

Its another reason why you see so many UK cars abroad with no tax or MOT but valid insurance…..they are legally allowed to drive said car overseas*

*there is a time limit though when the car is in said country.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd probably not have qualms about just riding it home. Can't see the police having a big issue if you're on your way home with the remainder of the V5 and a reciept in your pocket.

Well, that's what I did in the end to be honest. I just kept off the motorways for 80 out of 110 miles (Too many cameras on Motorways these days…) So yeah, I drove with no tax. Ohhhhhhhh, bad, wicked man that I am. Oh, and I broke the speed limit as well for good measure…. 😛

And to all the doubters who said I'd never get home (Hahahaaaa!) it never missed a beat. Smooth, comfy, powerful. I know how good those Piaggio 'Leader' series engines are… 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

Peter, when I rody a motorbike years ago without tax (forgot to do it, honestly) and got stopped I was fined 50 quid. And that was The City Police in London, proper bastard cops (but still fair as I was at fault 100%).
    Take her, ride home, avoid motorways, stick to main roads, don't speed. Don't forget to enjoy!
    And post some pics of you riding the girl.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tis done mate, she's home in the garage!

DezB
    Free Member

And post some pics of you riding the girl.

😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Result! I've got an ET4(?) scooter thing at home in bits, any use for spares or repair? lol

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Driving with no Tax and all that…?’ is closed to new replies.