Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Drilling a 33mm hole in a kitchen work top – How?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

How do I drill a 33mm hole through my kitchen work top to accept the air switch button for the waste disposal?

It needs to be neat and work with a standard drill.

I am guessing I start with a small pilot hole but what will get up to 33mm without wrecking the worktop?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hole saw/bit thingy…..

Like this:

Not expensive, available at any DIY store

druidh
    Free Member

Surely depends on what the worktop is made out of?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

as druidh says – and how neat it has to be IE are the edges going to be visible of covered

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Surely depends on what the worktop is made out of?

Yes, but if it’s granite or similar that has to be professionally fitted, they will do it for you. 🙂
    If they don’t, or you forgot…… Ooops!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yes we forgot – oops
    Only chipboard – whoopee

Edukator
    Free Member

A 33mm hole saw or:

drill a series of small holes inside a 32mm scribed circle and finish it with a file or a rotary burr or:

Scribe a circle, drill a hole, cut around the circle with a jig saw with lots of to and froing to stop the saw jamming or breaking on such a tight circle.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Only chipboard – whoopee

Sorted then.

It’s a piece of cake with one of those cutters, don’t be tempted to try and do it without though! Not worth the bother for a £5-ish tool which just works, and leaves a very neat clean finish 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Happy to buy the bit. just couldn’t find one on line. All the hole cutters seemed to be for tiles.

The only wood one I found was at Screwfix for £20

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-self-feed-bit-32mm/54109

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All the hole cutters seemed to be for tiles

I see what you mean….

I got a set in the box with a set of drill bits years ago. Mine are only cheap ones but they work brilliantly and I’ve used them several times…… Just go to the store and ask. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Just google “hole cutter set” there are loads

nickjb
    Free Member

Google ‘Hole saw’, not cutter

Tracey

Dont know if they had the size you need but Aldi were selling them on Sunday

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/media/offers/01_11_week_29/Product_detail_Wk29S3.jpg

VanHalen

you cant just cut through 30MM of chipboard in one go. youll need to remove hte saw a few times to get the crud out otherwise you get a fire from teh friction... ive not experimented… 😀

peath
    Free Member

Also cover the area with masking tape… It’ll help stop the laminate from chipping (and make it easier to mark the holes position!).

noshki

A flat wood bit will do the job perfectly fine and should only cost a couple of quid, as has been pointed out a hole saw would not be deep enough to cut through, you would have to stop, remove some of the core then continue. A flat wood bit will remove the waste as it cuts. a small pilot for the bit to sit in as you start to drill will help.

roddi18
    Free Member

Noshki is spot on.
    You probably won’t find a 33mm flat bit but you will definitely find a 32mm one in most builders merchants as they are used for drilling a hole for a ‘Yale’ lock in doors.
    32mm will probably do as i can’t imagine the 33mm is a dead tight fit as they usually allow a bit of tollerance

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Or you can just buy one tool that will do a whole range of hole sizes for future use:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/expansive-bit-22-76mm/40440

I wouldn’t rely on a hole saw making a clean cut.
    The saw teeth are angled and will lift the laminate as they cut, breaking it away, leaving a rough edge.
    A router is the only sure way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is done. the 35mm hindge bit I had did the job as the button surround covered the hole. Yes the plastic coating chipped so I wish I had read about putting tape over it but it doesn’t show.

Thanks for the advice

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Drilling a 33mm hole in a kitchen work top – How?’ is closed to new replies.