Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Dredd. Any good?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Arrived from LoveFilm today although I didn’t add it to my list. Was going to send it back as never really been interested in judge dredd or 2000ad but did see the awful awful Stallone film. Worth watching this version or not?

Pigface
    Free Member

It isn’t high art but is passable as an action flick.

hora
    Free Member

Personally I think you have to be a 2000ad fan (I was) otherwise its abit like watching the Watchmen..

qu1nt
    Free Member

7/10 better than expected, give it a go !

Cougar

I thought it was ace.

It’s brutal, beautifully filmed, and Karl Urban is excellent. I’d recommend it. Plenty of claret though, be warned.

Northwind

It’s good. My brother’s a huge fan of the comics, me not so much, he loved it and I thought it was solid but not amazing. You don’t need to know the background anyway.

deluded
    Free Member

Cougar & Hora +1 (EDIT – the fan bit). Unfortunately it didn’t make 50 million at the box office, which was a figure they had to hit for a sequel.

CountZero

Personally I think you have to be a 2000ad fan (I was) otherwise its abit like watching the Watchmen..

That’s a perfectly good reason for watching it. Watchmen is an excellent adaptation of the comic, and Dredd is really pretty faithful. Urban has the Dredd look spot on, and the action is terrific. Watch it, I’m pretty certain you’ll enjoy it, I came out of the cinema with a big grin on my face. The Stallone one was crap.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, surprisingly good +1, muuuuch better than Stallone’s anyway…

And not that it’s relevant but one of the better 3D films I’ve seen at the cinema too!

willard

I was a bit dubious after the first film, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s shot well, very moody, “feels” a lot like the comics. I’ll admit that I used to read a fair bit of 2000AD when I was younger and it did not leave me feeling betrayed like Stallone did, so it gets a thumbs up from me. I only wish they could have made the bigger, outside shots a bit more futuristic, a bit more like the comics, but it’s pretty good.

Of course, it’s worth watching for the fights and the bit with the miniguns.

househusband

I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it – and, as above, Karl Urban was excellent. Not a 2000AD fan at all, btw.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What Cougar said!

BenjiM

I thoroughly enjoyed it much better than the Stallone version. It didn’t have that made for a movie feel, it was more like an issue of the comic, if you get what I mean. I echo the sentiment above about the cityscapes in the wideshots though, it still seemed very modern day.

semuc
    Free Member

I thought it was great. A proper switch-off for 2 hours and enjoy the action type of film. Then, if you like it watch The Raid. Which is pretty much the same but with kunf-fu!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it.

hora
    Free Member

The Gladiator trainer in Gladiator had the perfect ‘look’ for a Dredd.

I thought the Raid was terrible but the fight choreography the best since the closing scenes in Jacki Chans Project A!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well I watched it and was pleasantly surprised. Had a very authentic comic book adaption feel to it. Really felt like it was lifted from the pages. Different and unusual story with stylised violence and action.

Glad LoveFilm accidentally sent it to me now. I also now feel compelled to take a look at 2000ad again.

Yep it’s good. I’m hoping it does well enough on dvd to generate a follow-up. Kinda like the Resident Evil films with I guess are popular enough to keep pounding out.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve heard it’s apparently similar to The Raid, so it must be pretty good!

stewartc
    Free Member

I personally preferred the ‘look’ of the Stallone film (and nothing else) but this is a far better film, you dont have to be a 2000ad fan to enjoy it and it moves along at a fair pace.
    7/10

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Unfortunately it didn’t make 50 million at the box office, which was a figure they had to hit for a sequel.

That’s a pity. I thought the film was OK, but with a bit more polish could be an awesome franchise.

hora
    Free Member

Torquemada would be amazing. Tim Burton directed but violent and very dark

clubber
    Free Member

It was OK. some good shots but tbh I found the lack of futuristic appearance a bit of an issue (eg it basically looked like now but with bigger tower blocks and judges).

Also the story as a whole was a bit lacking in any kind of epicness – it was essentially just a longer version of an episode in 2000ad from way back iirc. Good enough but not really enough meat for a film plot compared to say the various series like the Sovblok nuclear war, Necropolis, etc.

I did like some of the subtle touches tho – Ch 🙂 pper graffiti for example.

superfli
    Free Member

I never got into the comics, but thought it was a pretty good action film. Very much like Robocop. Was hoping that SloMo would be to more of their advantage though!

PrinceJohn

I thought it was ace.

It’s brutal, beautifully filmed, and Karl Urban is excellent. I’d recommend it. Plenty of claret though, be warned.

+1

Very much like Robocop

+1

The first action film I’ve seen in ages that wasn’t toned down to get a pg-13 & it was all the better for it.

veedubba

A mediocre buddy cop movie set in a towerblock.

But in fancydress.

I have to say I’m not a 2000AD afficionado but the movie could’ve been any cop movie if you took the incidental theme away (which didn’t add anything to the film). It was a bit like Training Day only a lot worse.

The villain was not at all intimidating or frightening; there was no characterisation (or you may have been supposed to understand everything from 2000AD); the storyline was weak.

Some of the cinematography and effects were good, but it looked like more of a showcase of them than anything else.

I much preferred the Stallone version. Dunno what that says about me.

Oh, and what Clubber said.

samuri
    Free Member

I liked it. The slow mo stuff is superb. But then I liked Stallone’s version too. And didn;t like Watchmen

turtleheading
    Free Member

Was terrible, in the end just had it on in the background while I wasted time on silly forums

Northwind

clubber – Member

Necropolis, etc.

Might be a bit long.

clubber
    Free Member

Well it’s been a while and tbh I was struggling to remember any other series so yes, I agree but my point really was that it was a bit mundane and as has been mentioned above, the film didn’t really need to be in Mega City 1 at all which for me at least was kind of the point. YMMV

Northwind

I think that was mostly budget tbh, keeping it mostly inside the block meant less need for flashy FX- also why the outside bits were a bit more current. Which is a shame but realistic. Wonder if there’d be room to take on the Democracy themes… HBO series!

But there were no Fatties, and no Walter, and absolutely no Stallone, so that’s good.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I liked it, it was a decent violent action film. Shame they won’t be doing an ABC warriors film as that would be the nuts.

clubber
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I think that was mostly budget tbh,

Clearly but then I’m not sure why they bothered making the film as JD – what makes JD is the world he lives in, not really Dredd himself.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dark, violent, gory, if entirely humourless. Overall quite effective. Captured Dredd’s implacability and Anderson’s vulnerability well.

willard

In some ways it is quite sad, but gratifying, that no one seems to be able to do a truly amazing film adaptation of a graphic novel. Yes, Watchmen wasn’t a bad attempt and Sin City was well shot and good too, but most of them seem to be a little light and pale compared to their paper forebears.

Time to start a new thread I think.

piemonster

Off the back of this thread I watched this last night.

Quite enjoyed it, bog standard brain dead action flick sure but I’m pretty brain dead to start with.

Guns, bad things, drugs, nutters, what more can I ask for.

mogrim

Entertaining enough, although the budget killed the outdoors stuff: the bikes were crap, the cityscape shots were nowhere near impressive enough, and the traffic shots were very poor… Once they get inside the block it gets a lot better.

Harry_the_Spider

I read 2000AD for 22 years (still go them all bagged up in the loft). I think that Karl Urban got it right, even down to the slightly slow walk and the “one worders”. Olivia Thirlby did a good job with Anderson too.

The outside shots were a bit cheap, escpecially the vehicles. If they couldn’t afford to do the chase with anything better than a VW camper van then perhaps they should have done it on foot.

The stuff in Peach Trees was bang on though.

I hope that they make another. Now that the characters are established it would be good to see something based on the Democracy story lines.

I enjoyed it and they think they paid respect to the source material.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My only real criticism was the lack of exploration into Dredd himself. He’s an interesting character with a rich history and is ultimately a psychotic fascist. Would have liked a bit more of a peer into him.

MrNutt
    Free Member

i prefered “the raid” which as has been said is the same thing only better.

that said hopefully now they’ll be sble to raise some proper money for the dark judges!!

And if they’re not going to do the dark judges then it HAS to be Otto Stump’s UGLY!

and why has no one made a film out of transmetropolitan yet?!?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Dredd. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.