Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Downhill forks vs trail forks for plushness?
  • bigdavevw
    Free Member

Hey guys, a wee question, i have a Patriot, thinking of putting 180mm Boxxers to do a bit of downhilling. How much difference would this make to the handling? I,m running Fox Van 36,s 160mm. Are downhill forks plusher? Would they give a much softer ride?

Obviously i know they are heavier, stiffer stronger etc.

Thanks

grantway
    Free Member

Best get a test bike with these forks on and give it a go

GW
    Free Member

there’s no such thing as a 180mm Boxxer.

would you ike to be more specific?
    year? model?
    plusher = WTF?
    softer ride?

fit a softer spring to your 36 if you want a softer fork

GW
    Free Member

oh.. and don’t worry about the bike, it’s perfectly upto the job, just go downhilling!

Brycey
    Free Member

Aye there is/was.

solamanda
    Free Member

You are far better off keeping it as it is and if you want a proper dh bike, buy a proper dh bike. If you want more comfort fit a 2.5″ DH front tyre and run it soft. Vans are a good fork.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’d agree, 36s are well suited to that bike. Triple clamps would probably annoy you more than they helped.

GW
    Free Member

when, Brycey?

Boxxer 151 – 151mm
    2000-04 Boxxer 176mm
    Boxxer ride 133-178mm
    05 -2010 Boxxer 203mm
    2010+ Boxxer 203mm

my memory fails me 😕

alexxx
    Free Member

keep single crowns, sounds like you need something to spend cash on, id suggest not

Brycey
    Free Member

Catch a grip GW.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother getting boxxers on it tbh, although the old cherry red (2000-04) boxxers were amazing! You’d be doing well to find a decade old pair of dh forks that aren’t totally ****…

bigdavevw
    Free Member

Hey guys, cheers for the advice, yea was just a thought i had, cos i know Patriot ST,s came with 180mm forks and were a down hill bike. Cant really afford a true down hill bike.

But i,m going to take everyones advice, keep the vans and maybe save up for a 224 😉

st

yYep, stick as you are. by all means put Boxxers on the Patriot to turn it into a DH bike but then forget using it for let else.

jonk

I run a 180mm domain on my patriot for downhill duties and its really quite good.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can get Boxxers custom made by TF to run at 180mm.

On the original point, there is a difference between a fork being ‘plush’ and a fork that allows you to ride faster. Comfort and grip aren’t always synonymous.

snaps
    Free Member

Plushness = custom damping?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Downhill forks vs trail forks for plushness?’ is closed to new replies.