Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Down at the bottom of an oldforgotten bridleway I find this!
  • amedias
    Free Member

And I’m suggesting that if you are regularly colliding with dogs on the trail then you are failing at least one of those criteria

I’m kinda with Graham here, if you regularly have this problem then I can come to only 3 possible conclusions:

1. You ride in a unique area which is apparently the UK hotspot for dangerously out of control dogs.

2. You are some kind of actual Dog Magnet and further scientific study should be commissioned to ascertain the origin and extent of this phenomenon.

3. You are failing in some regard to ride according to the conditions around you.

I can understand if it as an occasional thing, it annoys me too from time to time but I can’t honestly say its a regular problem for me, I think I could probably count the number of dog collisions /near misses I’ve had in the last decade on less than one hand.

Just out of interest where are you riding that has this much Dog/Cyclist conflicting shared space?

GrahamS

Great to see the tradition of stw Big Hitting is being kept alive.
    GrahamS winning the sanctimony prize today.

I think that’s the first time I’ve been directly accused of being a Big Hitter.

I’m quietly proud.

(I’ll shut up now).

scandal42
    Free Member

Because of the extreme lack of bridleways in our area I ride foot paths regularly, I even ride footpaths that are extremely popular with dog walkers, I have had 0 issues with dogs suddenly appearing from nowhere and jumping into my spokes despite the funnest trails near me being busy at times.

I also walk my dog in the same areas, again I have had no issue with him attempting to commit suicide by Rubber Queen.

As my original post said, it’s a shame we can’t coexist and be pleasant to each other in mixed use environments.

scandal42
    Free Member

I think that’s the first time I’ve been directly accused of being a Big Hitter.

I’m quietly proud.

Don’t be, it was a typo and was supposed to say ‘Big Hitler’

cynic-al
    Free Member

I briefly commuted on a shared path on the edge of a park. Many dog walkers seemed to think it was charming that there dog wandered around and stopped in the bike lane.

Graham it was bringing the child into the argument that did it. Deftly handled, chapeau 😀

The Brotherhood of Big Hitters will be running more courses in internet arguing soon if anyone is interested.

stoffel
    Free Member

Just out of interest where are you riding that has this much Dog/Cyclist conflicting shared space?

All sorts of places; London, Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, Berkshire, North Wales, the Lakes, Cumbria, Northumberlad, Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, and aborad. And I’m tlking about dozens of incidents ver more than 25 years of off road riding. As for ‘control’, despite everything, I’ve never personaly been injured. Probably because I have the skill to be able to ride out a crash. 8)

Oh, and a couple of incidents at least have happned on designated bike trails, where walkers/dogs/children etc aen’t technicaly allowed. Hooning round a bend at high speed, you don’t expect to see a dog running full pelt towards you. 😯

wordnumb
    Free Member

Signs* spoil my enjoyment of the countryside no matter whether I’m walking or riding.

* the modern “don’t …” signs, old fashioned direction-based signs are still fine.

dabble
    Free Member

my two penneth-

dog walking/ owning **** GTFO! 👿

schnor
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    he said they’ve put the gats up to deter a local farmer using it as run to get to his field and that the tractor throws crap all up their windows. I pointed out that rights of way are supposed to be unhindered for progress and she just shrugged. I will be reporting both to the local row officer.

Gates can only be installed on Bridleways / Footpaths for the ingress / egress of animals on agricultural land (and need authorising via a ‘gate license’ – which I always forget to do 😳 ), the gates are therefore illegal and are obstructions. Mud on windows is a new excuse to me though 🙂

As others have said, email both highway / access authorities and they’ll say “no, it’s actually next door in Xshire”.

miketually
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Everytime I stop for a redlight the three or four others that I overtook previously all sail round me through the redlight.

I see cars go through almost every red light, therefore all car drivers ignore all red lights.

antigee

wordnumb – Member
    Signs spoil my enjoyment of the countryside no matter whether I’m walking or riding.

same here – always add to survey comments “less signs!!” – needs a pic really but reckon the gate just before you cross the Porter coming into Langsett woods from Cut Gate (heard it called Coronation Street?) has over 30 signs around it

large418
    Free Member

Stoffel, you are portraying others (dog owners) as having poor consideration for others (you). Take a look in the mirror fella.

gwaelod
    Free Member

“Suicide by Rubber Queen” brings is a great image to the mind of someone who took a while to realise it was a tyre.

ampthill

The problem is that their is one country side. Some take their dog out. Some go for a bike ride. Some go fishing. Some canoe down rivers etc. At some times each group will inconvenience another. But probably not by much and probably not most of the time. Its generally best if we live an let live.

I think Stoffel expectation that all dogs are on a lead not wandering around is a bit OTT. I’ll chip in with one reason. Say I was at Woburn with my kids and the dog. Its a while ago but as they are teenagers now

You approach us and slow down but unexpectedly an obstacle wanders in front of from behind a bush. You need to take last minute action to avoid a collision and risk injury. You’re saying that my dog should be on a lead so it can’t do that,. What about my children? Should they be on a lead. When wandering round a wood should they have to behave like they on a busy high street?

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Down at the bottom of an oldforgotten bridleway I find this!’ is closed to new replies.