• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nach.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Double chainsets, real world experience in hilly areas
  • sherpa87
    Free Member

I’m going go for the incredibly unfashionable boardman fs team. It fits the bill for what I want. Fancied a touch less travel and I’m coming from the trek remedy 26″. The remedy had a single ring setup, I always found a way to get up stuff but I said I would definitely stay double on my next bike. It will be used for the lakes, the peaks etc as I have a hardtail which I love to ride around trail centres. The hardtail has 27.5 wheels and narrow wide with 34 front and 36 lowest rear. Find that no sweat around trail centres but don’t fancy it again round the lakes. The boardman comes with 40-27 chainrings, I’m not fussed on either but it has a funny 3 bolt bcd. I have a new triple Slx chainset 40-30-22 with the new 96 bcd and I may swap the fsa one for this and use just the 30-22. These are pretty low gears considering I’m running a double. I think it will be ok, I know that it wouldn’t take alot to spin out but I’m not so sure I do so much pedalling on big descents as opposed to a trail centre anyway. I would appreciate any guidance as its been probably 3 years since I had more than a single upfront. I could obviously buy the expander cog and a narrow wide but that is at least a £80 outlay straight away. I’d prob and rather get an xt chainset instead. The boardman cassette is an 11-36 (think)

chakaping
    Free Member

I use a double chainset in the lakes, what’s your question though?

What size rings people are using?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’d wear out the original drivetrain on the Boardman first before making any changes… It might be time for some normal cranks by then.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

I am also unsure of the question, but in response to the title, I am a big heavy unfit lump and manage fine with XT 2×10 (38/24) the Highlands.

sherpa87
    Free Member

Sorry I got a bit carried away with my post. What I was asking in a roundabout way is.. What do people use and also thoughts on 30-22. I could wear out the original drivetrain of course but I have the option to swap the 40-27 for 30-22 and it won’t cost anything. I suppose given the option what would you do?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d bang the SLX on if you’re worries about gears, also the comet looks shite IMHO

monkeychild
    Free Member

The comet chainset is shite (had one on my El Mariachi and have one on my HT Pro 29er).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My chum runs two and ten, I run three and nine, he binned his granny ring as he never used it, I use mine sometimes.
    What I’m trying to say is that it all comes down to how strong your legs are!

qwerty
    Free Member

On my 26″ hardtail I’ve always run 36/24 with a 9 speed 11\32 cassette, this has got me up everything I could ever ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

38-26 was great for me when I was on a 26er.

Prefer 38-24 now I’m on wagon wheels though!

Flog the chainset, pick up a new SLX double in the sales (they’re ace) and stick that on instead.

nach
    Free Member

I live somewhere steep, and 36-22 with 11 – 34 is fine.

I should’ve gone 11 – 36, but misread something about my mech not working properly above 34t. I find 34 okay with a double though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Double chainsets, real world experience in hilly areas’ is closed to new replies.