Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Doomsday Clock
  • SaxonRider

I had really hoped that, after the breakthrough made by Reagan and Gorbachev, I would not hear of this again. As a kid with a paper round at the time, I used to read the news voraciously, and suffered ‘nuclear nightmares’ as a result. Then the wall came down, the USSR broke up, and it was as if there was a bit of light showing through the clouds.

Alas, it has been a bad couple of years, and the voices of unreason and death are louder and clearer than they have been for a while.

And to top it off, circumstances mean that I won’t have been able to ride into work for three days this week.

🙁

garage-dweller

SaxonRider I feel all we can do is to continue to function as best we can and each do whatever little things we can to make the world better. And really importantly to live as happily and contentedly as we can while doing it.

The one comfort is that it’s taken all the events of the last couple of years to generate a minute’s movement and we must remember it is a symbolic and partially subjective measurement.

Wookster

The Doomsday Clock now not only takes into account the likelihood of nuclear Armageddon but also other emerging threats, such as climate change and advances in biotechnology and artificial intelligence.

Damn you Siri….Damn you to hell….

makkag
    Free Member

Stop living in fear … its not like we get out of here alive anyway . go ride your bike and look at the pretty scenery while you can :]

flanagaj
    Free Member

No point worrying about it. I just hope that if such an event occurs I’m at the centre of the blast. Would much prefer being vaporised over an existence like that portrayed in the film ‘The Road’.

Ps – If you think I sound depressing, don’t watch the film. I was ready to get the noose out!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stop living in fear … its not like we get out of here alive anyway

But also be aware and informed. The world is going this way because people stopped caring and allowed the sort of idiots in charge now to drift in a fill the gaps left by reason and debate.

flanagaj
    Free Member

The world is going this way because people stopped caring and allowed the sort of idiots in charge now to drift in a fill the gaps left by reason and debate.

Brexit or Trump?

Damn! Why did I mention those two words.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The world is built upon Fear and Loathing.

It’s human nature.

Might as well enjoy what time you have, whilst you still can. One day it’ll be gone, you might just have a few seconds to look back and realise you could have enjoyed it more.

nickhit3
    Free Member

No point worrying about it. I just hope that if such an event occurs I’m at the centre of the blast. Would much prefer being vaporised over an existence like that portrayed in the film ‘The Road’.

Ps – If you think I sound depressing, don’t watch the film. I was ready to get the noose out!

I would urge anyone to watch that film, it is bleak but it doesn’t pretend not to be. The humanity in the film certainly stayed with me. Its not as bleak as Threads though..

I was born in 1983, an auspicious year in the Cold War history and have grown up with a fascination with that period, beyond the mighty Culture Club and Adam and the Ants. By comparison to then, we are living in a safe period. The book ‘The Dead Hand’ is worth a read if anyone is interested in how fragile the whole thing is and how close human error brought the world close to M.A.D.

Remember though, duck and cover..

makkag
    Free Member

But also be aware and informed. The world is going this way because people stopped caring and allowed the sort of idiots in charge now to drift in a fill the gaps left by reason and debate

Absolutely be aware and informed – but I am sad to say the world has gone this way rather than going and there really is little we can do about it. If we do the research it all points to an impending apocalypse of some kind. environmental, overpopulation or nuclear/terrorist threat take your pick. I therefore am just going to obey consume and conform whilst enjoying what pleasures I can and hopefully set my son up to do the same .. The Fear game is not one I subscribe to I haven’t got enough time left to waste on it !

nickhit3
    Free Member

The Fear game is not one I subscribe to I haven’t got enough time left to waste on it !

But your previous statement about how the idiots ARE now in charge and there’s nothing we can do about it, and that it “all points to apocalypse”.. is fear. is it not? Do you mean something different about the fear game or am I misunderstanding your point?

makkag
    Free Member

I think you have amalgamated two peoples comments into one. I see your point but its not the one I am trying to make.
    I am saying the world may indeed be going to shite but i don’t fear it..whats the point as deaths going to happen to me at some point anyway. Spending time in fear of that might happen seems a waste to me.

To Quote Harvey Mackay

“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back.”

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Dinosaurs ruled the planet for 65 million years before they became extinct, we’ve had about 30,000. Reckon we’ll outlast ’em?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Could be worse I suppose…..you could live within 50 miles of a Nuclear Weapons storage and launch facility, which would make you a first strike target in the event of any nuclear conflict.

Oh, wait a minute……

zippykona

Nice quick death though.
    Can I come and stay at yours?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nice quick death though.
    Can I come and stay at yours?

Just outside the initial fatal blast radius but in the area of maximum nuclear fallout………..still want to come?

Bear in mind that there’ll be half a million mutated Glaswegians fighting for survival in an apocalyptic wasteland.

and then a big bomb will go off.

AlexSimon

Bear in mind that there’ll be half a million mutated Glaswegians living in an apocalyptic wasteland.

and then a big bomb will go off. Applause

Trimix
    Free Member

I read a sobering account of a Palliative care nurse – she said her dying patents spoke about what they regretted doing in their life.

The majority regretted not keeping in touch with friends, allowing work to keep them away from family and not taking more chances.

So, pick a mountain bike adventure with your mates and just go and do it. Make sure you home in time to keep the wife happy 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

Dinosaurs ruled the planet for 65 million years before they became extinct, we’ve had about 30,000. Reckon we’ll outlast ’em?

actually about 120 million years

nickhit3
    Free Member

neilthewheel

Have a read of this and then consider whether things are better, worse or about the same…
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Europe-Travels-Through-Twentieth-Century/dp/009951673X

Nipper99
    Free Member

I used to read the news voraciously, and suffered ‘nuclear nightmares’ as a result

Me to. I watched Threads recently. Still has the power to shock and give me nightmares.

The thing that I find most worrying about Brexit (I apologise as this is not the official leaving the EU thread) is that we are now, from a political point of view, morally adrift. We have been for 40 years, and prior to that, so since the end of WW2, essentially in a block that had has at its core a belief in social democracy. The UK has now rejected social democracy a basis and as such the alternative destination can only be a dark place.

user-removed
    Free Member

Bear in mind that there’ll be half a million mutated Glaswegians fighting for survival in an apocalyptic wasteland.

and then a big bomb will go off

Applause

Standing ovation 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

The UK has now rejected social democracy a basis and as such the alternative destination can only be a dark place.

The UK didn’t, 17M out of 60M did. The young, as ever, are on the right side. The old fogeys have the power, but they’ll die soon.

I just look at my kid’s school – 250-odd kids, from a couple of dozen different countries, speaking loads of different languages, and they couldn’t care less about race or religion.

nickhit3
    Free Member

The UK didn’t, 17M out of 60M did. The young, as ever, are on the right side. The old fogeys have the power, but they’ll die soon.

I just look at my kid’s school – 250-odd kids, from a couple of dozen different countries, speaking loads of different languages, and they couldn’t care less about race or religion.

+1

RustySpanner

Most of the people I’ve looked after have said they wished they’d had more sex and been nicer to the people they love.

Personally, I’m with Viv on this one:
    [video]https://youtu.be/WrhzX3dRRiI[/video]

I’ve given up on people mostly and just try to be a nice bloke.

GrahamS

I just look at my kid’s school – 250-odd kids, from a couple of dozen different countries…

But meanwhile in Birmingham… Catholic school prompts uniform row by banning Muslim girl from wearing a headscarf (Telegraph)

The girl in question is four.

bodgy
    Free Member

and then a big bomb will go off.

HA! Brilliant. 😆

Nipper99
    Free Member

The old fogeys have the power, but they’ll die soon.

Not soon enough.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s all cyclical. We’ll dance to the precipice, step back and things will improve. After a set time it all starts over.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could be worse, you could all be sitting in a cold car on the south coast at the beach waiting for the tide to drop and the wind to disappear so you could go paddlesurfing in the 4fters that are crumbling in, oh and it’s bloody freezing but one small upside is I’ve just had a sausage sandwich and a coffee from the cafe.

Come join me, guarantee you’ll cheer up once you’ve been in the water.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Until they get old and change their views

deadkenny
    Free Member
    BobaFatt
    Free Member

Avoid the news and You Tube videos of idiots and their opinions

It all comes down to keeping people scared, then they consume and buy stuff and keep the economy going

SaxonRider

‘They Live’ is one of the best ‘B’ movies ever.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Just announced: its now 2.5 minutes to midnight. The closest its been in 64 years since the Soviet’s exploded their first A bomb. Still, Friday tomorrow.

AlexSimon

Yep – strange timing for this thread (edit: I see it was press released). Just changed for the first time in 2 years.
    http://thebulletin.org/timeline

Klunk
    Free Member
    stever
    Free Member

Pete Wylie’s still gigging, I wish he’d update the Mighty Wah’s ‘7 minutes to midnight’. Admittedly 2.5 mins would be a less catchy title.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zPoxDifsPw[/video]

zanelad
    Free Member

Who’s opinion decides this?

Can’t we find someone more laid back to do it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Doomsday Clock’ is closed to new replies.