Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Doing up a Welsh Cottage… Flooring options…
  • Tiger6791

Original stone flag floor

Or

Cover ir with engineered Oak boards for warmth

Will be a Holiday let not to live in..,,

Junkyard
    Free Member

Former is cheaper and pretty hard to dange

Folk will likely think it adds character

Tiger6791

Cold though

welshfarmer

Lift it, lay underfloor heating, replace. Sorted

BlobOnAStick

Original floor.

I doubt that underneath the flagstone floor there’s any kind of damp proofing, hence you’ll need to let it breathe or it’ll get very damp very quickly. Take it from one who is experienced in this matter 😉

Tiger6791

It’s got laminate down at the moment but knocking a hole for the stove has revealed stone flags

ninfan
    Free Member

Cold though

I always fancied the idea of a building in a hypocaust if/when I build my own house. Even better niche than a log burner

BlobOnAStick

Oh? Well maybe I’m wrong.

The place we had was hundred of years old (walls were >1m thick, inglenook fireplace etc etc) and had a flagstone floor. Placing any kind of sealed flooring down resulted in mould and damp smells. Carpet could be put down as long as it was hessian-backed and breathable.

Tiger6791

Haven’t lifted it yet, may well be damp as an otters pocket when lifted

andyl
    Free Member

My office is a bit like that, the landlord put roofing felt down under the carpet so it gets nice and mouldy between the felt and flag stones.

This place has a big problem with high watercourse, poor drainage around the outside, gypsum plastered walls and no damp proof course.

Tiger6791

ninfan – Good use of 3rd year GCSE roman history topic!!!

welshfarmer

We took up the flags in our (old) farmhouse. It was like one of those saltmines underneath where the whole lot had been hollowed out by rats and it was only a few pillars of earth still holding up the flags. Took it down about 8 inches, laid a DPC and laid insulation & a concrete slab. If it had been me (and not my brother) doing it, I would have laid underfloor heating too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you are not living there so why do you care 😉

Yes it **** freezing as i lived in one for two years its like having a permanent ground based fridge for the entire downstairs i would not wish it on my worst enemy. However its still cheaper and i still think tourist folk will like the ” authentic” look

ninfan
    Free Member

Tiger, I would have called it an Ondol, since the only time I ever physically felt the joy of one was in Korea, bit I thought it better to use the Roman example 🙂

(Edit, no, actually they might have had one in the Roman baths at wallsend too)

Tiger6791

you are not living there so why do you care

Because I’ll be paying for the heating

Junkyard
    Free Member

I retract everything i just said
    COVER IT
    NOW

5thElefant
    Free Member

If it’s original it’ll be damp. If it’s going to be empty at times it’ll get manky.

I’d want to seal it.

gozarch
    Free Member

We live in a cob (earth) cottage. There wasn’t much of the original flag floor left, so we took it up and reused it elsewhere, dug down and laid a geotextile membrane; expandable clay balls for insulation; geotextile; limecrete; underfloor heating; lime screed; Welsh slate tiles on a bed of lime. Easy ;-). Oh, but not damp or cold.

Tiger6791

Well this is what it currently (did) look like

Ripping the manky ’70s fireplace to put a woodturner in has revealed the original floor

Tiger6791

If it’s original it’ll be damp. If it’s going to be empty at times it’ll get manky.

I’d want to seal it.

It’s been empty for a year, no obvious signs of any damp but I need to lift the whole floor to see

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

you woiuld probably be able to smell it if you just lift an edge of floor with a crowbar.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s been empty for a year, no obvious signs of any damp but I need to lift the whole floor to see

That may well not be the original floor then. Which is good…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ripping the manky ’70s fireplace to put a woodturner in has revealed the original floor

Thats surely a bodge to far?

bruneep

Is that lintel level?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Original is always good into – especially in the letting advertisement ?

Does it matter if it’s “cold” ? Holiday let is for summer many yes ? woodburner for character in the winter and are people expecting a sauna anyway, its a Welsh cottage bring warm clothes, burn wood (renters expense), drink alcohol 🙂

I also like the fact a stone floor will be easier to clean

timber

The older part of the cottage we used to live in had a flagstone floor in the kitchen. Had been lifted, damp proofed and flipped prior to us moving in due to cottage being built into a bank.
    Had a big coir mat covering most of the floor which gave a warm island to hop across to bare foot in winter (more to do with gaps around openings or ‘charm’ than the floor).

Downsides were that the joins could collect loads of debris and that pretty much anything you dropped would smash.

In our new place we are far more in favour of stuff that allows comfortable bare foot movement.

Tiger6791

Is that lintel level?

Could well be, floor isn’t though 🙂

bruneep

😀

burko73

Can’t believe you got rid of that lovely retro fireplace….

Tiger6791

Any recommendations for a Woodburner?

Bearing in mind it’s a holiday home

thecaptain
    Free Member

We have original flags in our porch, previous owners had loose carpet on top (with typical rubbery underlay) and it was soggy underneath. Now much happier with a very porous woven jute(?) mat on top. Most woven rugs seem to have a rubber backing but you can occasionally find ones that don’t. Woven reed mats etc also good. Would give you some comfort and warmth underfoot while retaining that rustic feel…

dantsw13

I have a fairly basic villager flat c – 5kw pretty simple & very good!

Tiger6791

Will look into that one, problem is we need to get a Hetas approved install which may mean buying the stove off the installer.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a Woodburner?

Bearing in mind it’s a holiday home
    Meibion Glynd?r should be able to sort something out for you.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Doing up a Welsh Cottage… Flooring options…’ is closed to new replies.