Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Does anyone else still have a "tube" telly?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Err thirty odd folk up there ^^^ random! I’ve watched h footy on a hd ready so admittedly not full hd and I wasn’t impressed!

StirlingCrispin

ditch_jockey – you have mail!
    27″ in Stirling looking for a home.

Cougar

This thing is indestructible.

Maybe 15 years ago now, I was burgled. Amongst their haul was a large Sony CRT that was several years old.

It was a few days later when a neighbour asked me if it was my TV in the back street. Checked and, sure enough, there it was. The case was split in two, they’d obviously got it out and then dropped it (it was a ton weight). In the meantime, it’d done nothing but pour with rain.

I scraped it up, poured several pints of water out of it, and brought it in. Stripped it down, dried out what I could, then left it in the front room with the heating on for a week.

Put it all back together and, after a few false starts and a bit of fettling, it worked. I got another three years maybe out of it before the power supply gave up the ghost and I replaced it with… another big Sony CRT.

Indestructible is right.

konabunny
    Free Member

I have a big Bang & Olufsen (sp?) CRT. It’s crap.

Recently I was walking down a street that was having a bulky rubbish collection that day. Practically every single house was chucking out a CRT TV. The number of people replacing their TVs must be huge.

flow
    Free Member

Maybe 15 years ago now, I was burgled. Amongst their haul was a large Sony CRT that was several years old.

It was a few days later when a neighbour asked me if it was my TV in the back street. Checked and, sure enough, there it was. The case was split in two, they’d obviously got it out and then dropped it (it was a ton weight). In the meantime, it’d done nothing but pour with rain.

I scraped it up, poured several pints of water out of it, and brought it in. Stripped it down, dried out what I could, then left it in the front room with the heating on for a week.

Put it all back together and, after a few false starts and a bit of fettling, it worked. I got another three years maybe out of it before the power supply gave up the ghost and I replaced it with… another big Sony CRT.

Indestructible is right.

We have been thinking about replacing it to be honest, and it will definitely be with another Sony.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Got an old 14″ Sony in my bedroom that is still going strong, bought it when I left school in 1995 😯

maccruiskeen

4×3 CRT here too. One of the things that stops me moving to flat screen is watching 4×3 content on a 16×9 screen is just upsettingly ugly. Quite happy watching 16×9 on a 4×3 though.

Flat screens are just ugly objects though. Would hate to have one in the room.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

me – a nice sony that must be 15 or 20 years old. It just works

mudshark
    Free Member

Any body want a 32″ Panasonic crt?

Try Freecycle. I picked up the similar, and somehow squeezed it into my old Puma. Got it into the house where it worked for 2 days then broke. Currently sitting in the box room awaiting a trip to the dump when I can be bothered.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Sony Trinitron. 26″, I think. Bought it in 1998 and it refuses to die. Don’t see the point of replacing something that works fine and meets my meagre TV-watching needs just to fall in line with what our consumerist society expects.

Bah!

Skyliner
    Free Member

WOW! And there I was thinking I must be the only person still watching a tube telly. I love my 11yr old Sony. And yes the picture is better than my brother in laws award winning plasma (even he admits it). I would hate it when it goes pop. Not for the expense of replacing it but for the dents in the carpet!! 😆

Cougar

Got an old 14″ Sony in my bedroom that is still going strong, bought it when I left school in 1995

I recycled my 14″ TV a couple of years back. Nothing wrong with it, it was just taking up space and I never used it. It was my computer monitor back when I had a Spectrum; I reckon it was 25 years old when I took it to the tip. Pye, that was.

Cougar

One of the things that stops me moving to flat screen is watching 4×3 content on a 16×9 screen is just upsettingly ugly.

I always said that. The Toshiba I bought is one of the few that doesn’t (Panasonic and Samsung also); technology has finally caught up, you should revisit it.

Earl
    Free Member

14″ Bush from Freecycle.

Northwind

My old Panasonic just died this year… Was going to replace it about 5 years ago but the only flatties that could match it for quality cost the earth. But tbh I have to say that the Toshiba I replaced it with is in the same price category and is much better.

Most flatties still seem to be rubbish though, cheap CRTs were surely better than cheap flats.

RoterStern
    Free Member

A huge Sony Trinitron here. The picture quality is still way better than most of the flat screen TVs I have thus far seen. Bit like the derailer/internal gear debate. The newest technology that isn’t yet there or older technology that has been refined to its best. Also no way anyone is going to nick this TV unless they have portable crane with them! 👿

GW
    Free Member

Most flatties still seem to be rubbish though, cheap CRTs were surely better than cheap flats.

depends what you’re using them for, can’t even read the text on PS3 games on my old CRT. same size cheapy LCD is crystal clear.

you can’t aim/drive properly etc. if you can’t see what you’re looking at

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We have an old Sony the size of a washing machine, it’s got to be more than ten years old. The one it replaced is still in service up in Orkney. It must be nearly twenty years old.

stanfree
    Free Member

I think GW is right the first LCD I bought was a fairly decent Samsung and when I plugged It into non HD sky It looked piss poor . The minute I fired up Ghost Recon on the X box It looked amazing. My old 32″ Panasonic CRT had a better picture on non HD tv. Ive now got a LG with Sky Hd and Its a great picture .

GrahamS

We recently inherited a nice shiny 36″ Full HD LG LCD telly which displaced our 36″ Hitatchi CRT that we’ve had for at least 15 years.

I appreciate the extra space in the living room, but honestly I think the picture was better on the CRT. We’re only on standard def freeview so not getting the most out the HD, but the motion blur and posterisation really irritate me.

On the plus side, it takes up much less of the living room and it is great for showing photos.

konabunny
    Free Member

I just binned my grandad’s old 14″ Ferguson telly. That was back from the days when Japanese manufacturers used British-sounding names to flog tellies and British manufacturers used Japanese-sounding names…

Markie
    Free Member

32 JVC. I might actually be now too weak to move it

😀

maccruiskeen

One of the things that stops me moving to flat screen is watching 4×3 content on a 16×9 screen is just upsettingly ugly.

I always said that. The Toshiba I bought is one of the few that doesn’t (Panasonic and Samsung also); technology has finally caught up, you should revisit it.

Its not the distortion – its having a vertical letterbox – black bars either side of the image. Just wrong. Horizontal letter box – absolutely fine, infact I think its better to watch 16×9 letterboxed than on a native screen. And as objects they’re wrong (for me). Wrong on the wall, wrong on a stand. Wrong wrong wrong.

rocketman
    Free Member

Had a CRT up until fairly recently. No issues with the picture quality but now it’s gone there seems a lot more space in the room, like one of the chairs is missing…

stumpy01

We’ve got a Sony 28″ flat CRT TV that we got from my other half’s parents.
    It must only be about 5 years old but not long after buying it, they decided it was too big and chopped it in for a Bush LCD TV, so gave it to us.

My other half is desperate to get rid of it & get a flatscreen, but I can’t see the point. It will take up no more space, as it’s at a jaunty angle in the corner of the room, so the flatscreen replacement will also have to intrude into the same space (it will just be empty behind it).

GrahamS

ne of the things that stops me moving to flat screen is watching 4×3 content on a 16×9 screen

Is there still 4×3 content out there? Or are you watching a load of old Betamax tapes on it? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

When I first watched SD on an LCD I though it looked a little weird. A few days later I could see no issue. I bought the first one because we had no telly at the time, then I got a larger one because we moved into a houes with a bigger room and I couldn’t see to play PS games. Sold the old one on.

I haven’t watched a CRT since then so I can’t compare picture quality on SD telly, but the LCD wins hands down on HD telly, PS games, and being 40″ without being enormous and thereby allowing me to arrange the room nicely.

racefaceec90

yes,a bush 24″ (i think) that i paid £25 for 🙂

maccruiskeen

Is there still 4×3 content out there?

Surprisingly… yes. Even some comparatively recent stuff. I thought I’d pressed the wrong button, but The Wire is all in 4×3

mst
    Free Member

I’ve got a Toshiba 36″ widescreen. Works perfectly, but it’s about to be replaced.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I didn’t know the bit about games consoles that GW pointed out: I suppose that would change it for me.

Meanwhile our ps2 comes out maybe four times a year, so our CRT goes on. TBH, if I can get another one for free or a little bit from charity shop I will still go for that: our lounge has a sort of ‘recess’ between the wall and firplace/chimeny breast so a flat screen one woudn’t really save any space anyway because you’d have to have it a fair distance out from the wall to be able to see it from both sofas.

Has anyone any idea about power consumption/standby costs, and does this offset the cost and carbon footprint of buying a new one and junking your old but working CRT?

GW
    Free Member

a PS2 isn’t really high enough resolution to make as much difference between a CRT and LCD anyway

kiwijohn

Put my old one out on hard rubbish night last week. Needed the closet space. No fond memories, it was carp.
    Plasma all the way for the last 4 years. HD digital is so much better than crt.

chupucabra
    Free Member

Still got a 36 inch Panasonic flatscreen quintrix,the dog’s doodahs when it was released,picture is way better then most modern flatscreens I’ve seen unless I’m prepared to throw silly money at replacing it.’kin huge though but it’s in a big room so I don’t care.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else still have a "tube" telly?’ is closed to new replies.