Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • Does Anyone Actually Care About This Country Anymore
  • grantway
    Free Member

Just a thought that keeps on running through ones mind
    for what i am seeing day to day and talking to people
    mainly within London.

The other day I was in Wapping and a guy bought his Fish & chips etc
    in a brand new Range Rover and finished his food and packed it nicely
    together and just thrown it out onto the pavement.

Whats your thoughts on this.
    Just what is the mannerism of people where you are.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

and finished his food and packed it nicely
    together and just thrown it out onto the pavement

keeps someone in a job,

if everyone was tidy how many more unemployed would there be 😉

boxelder

I don’t litter and presume you don’t – nation saved!
    Range rover in London? No excuses.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I care about the country and where it’s headed. There’s good and bad out there, it’s what we do as individuals to contribute to that and our society that changes the balance.

I don’t care for the way the country is run or who is or isn’t running it though.

People have the capacity to do great things for each other and society, unfortunately I think the place the country is in at the moment isn’t conducive to this, and that’s what where we need to see change. Just my opinion though.

And as for the littering, yes people drop litter, I used to do it as a kid sweet papers and the like but had it drummed into me that that’s unacceptable. The numpty in the big car doing this says more about him than society, maybe they weren’t given enough guidance as a child. Did anyone else pick up the litter? Or leave it for someone else to do as it’s nothing to do with them? I find that mindset just as wrong.

Be excellent to each other

yossarian
    Free Member

Does Anyone Actually Care About This Country Anymore

Of course they do. There’s a percentage of people who don’t get it. Always has been and always will be. The majority of the rest of us do what we can when we can to keep our corner of this island in good nick. London might be a special case but there’s a lot more to Britannia than a large city in the south east.

Flaperon

Why didn’t you throw it back inside the car? Some chavs dumped their Big Macs onto the pavement while I was walking past and I simply scooped it up and thrust it back through the window into their laps, saying “I think you dropped this”.

Then I ran away and hid in a Starbucks, which is probably just as evil… 🙁

CHB

Round me lots care. Really good turn out for most key events in my village and most people say good morning.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Then I ran away and hid in a Starbucks

Quality. 😆

binners

I think it’s probably more a reflection of the kind of people who drive range rovers really.

I once watched someone scoop out a mountain of fag packets, Macdonalds detritus etc from said over-sized ego-tractor and just dump it all on the pavement, despite there being a bin about six foot away

The thing was, this was in the car park of Chester zoo, right outside the front entrance. He’d obviously fully absorbed the environmental message, and was setting a fine example to his two kids sat in the back

cookeaa

Perhaps its an issue of perspective you say your mainly getting negative vibes out of London OP.

Well lets be honest, it may be the nations capital but London doesn’t really strike me as being totally representative of the whole UK.

There are nicer places and nicer people elsewhere in the UK hop on a train have a look about.

We’ve all got annecdotes involving some selfish **** or another engaged in public oafishness but these people are the exception not the rule.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Don’t judge the state of our society based on the idiotic actions of an obnoxious man in a Range Rover. He’s only representative of the idiots, and if you look, there aren’t actually as many of them as it appears.

petrieboy

Just the other day the driver of the matt black X6 that was tailgating me through a beautiful part of east Lothian countryside finished his bottle of water and casually ejected it through the window. Presumed he was considering the environment and didn’t want to carry un-nessisery weight any further.
    Or he was a Twunt

grantway
    Free Member

jackthedog – Member
    Don’t judge the state of our society based on the idiotic actions of an obnoxious man in a Range Rover. He’s only representative of the idiots, and if you look, there aren’t actually as many of them as it appears.

Its not just that !

brooess
    Free Member

spend a bit of time in London and you’ll see plenty of examples of helpful and courteous behaviour. It’s one of the good things about the Tube, we’re not all shut away in our own metal boxes being passive aggressive.
    And as above, some people never have given a sh*t and never will. I don’t believe they’re representative.
    Anyway, if you focus on them and assume everyone’s like that you end up with a jaded view of life. Best to focus on the good people IMO

gwaelod
    Free Member

Challenge them at every opportunity

All that evil requires is for good men to do nothing

zippykona

There’s an old boy near me who walks up the stream in waders picking up the rubbish. Top man.
    Littering really gets me. Most of it does seem to be burger boxes and fizzy pop bottles. Put a litter tax on macdonalds.
    Having said all that I put all my litter in a bin then a man collects it takes it to a tip then onto an even bigger pile of rubbish in the countryside.

vinnyeh

Hardly ever see anyone chucking stuff out of a car these days, it was rife in the 60’s and 70’s though. Does that mean people care more or less now?

I think it’s probably more a reflection of the kind of people who drive range rovers really.

Funny how perceptions differ too- I can only recall seeing young kids in beat up old cars tossing stuff recently, and round our way the there’s a lot less litter by the expensive houses than by the council estates.

donsimon
    Free Member

Whats your thoughts on this.

Did the OP pick it up or just run to the nearest computer to rant?
    The amount of used chewing gum I see on the pavements is quite incredible though.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Well, that’s Wapping for you…….all that’s emblamatic of the 1980s, Thatcher, Murdoch and the delightful City culture which Cameron has just ‘saved’. In a ‘Me Me Me’ culture, what else can you expect but…..me me me?

And yes, there are plenty of places in the UK where people behave better than that towards each other, and try to care, and try (against the odds of community fragmentation) to evolve living communities.

In my village in rural Suffolk, any serial litter dumper, Range Rover or not, would be named and shamed with photos in the village shop!

But it’s the other bit, the ‘caring about this country’ bit, which gets to me more. Do you honestly believe that the only way that people can manifest concern for each other is through ‘caring about Britain’? ‘This Country’ and ‘Our National Interest’ and other such slogans are abstractions created by unscrupulous politicians to try to pull the wool over our eyes, and get us to do what they want, wrapping ourselves in the union jack while accepting wars, job cuts, and any other old crap while those with power and money get steadily richer and more powerful. It’s all ideology, mate!

So yes, we can care about each other and our communities, and we often have to do this in the face of gung-ho jingoism as it happens. Oscar Wilde’s comment on patriotism – the last refuge of the scoundrel seems relevent here. The problem with the RR driver is not that he’s insufficiently patriotic (a meaningless concept for ordinary folk) but tht he’s an anti-social git who’s so caught up in his own wealth, power and status that he fails to see the real but invisible threads of community, treat-others-as-you-would-wish-to-be-treated-yourself syncronicity that really hold us all together, and without which we are both weaker and poorer in reality.

Made a few nationalistic dogs bark? I hope so!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well lets be honest, it may be the nations capital but London doesn’t really strike me as being totally representative of the whole UK.

There are nicer places and nicer people elsewhere in the UK hop on a train have a look about.

Oh here we go…. 🙄

There are ****s everywhere. Loads of times I’ve bin out in countryside and seen stuff dumped in ditches and stuff. Streams full of foam cos farmers are using nasty chemicals what they’re not sposed to let enter the water table, etc. And how many times do we read about farmers/landowners blocking access and ROWs etc? Getting aggressive with folk?

And in the countryside you get cahs just wandering about pooing everywhere. Bang out of order. 🙁

Good and bad everywhere. Just that you get much greater concentrations of people in big cities, obviously, so yer gonna see more bad behaviour.

Personally, I’m struck by the narrow-mindedness and selfishness of some folk when I visit rural areas. Such as the selfish nimbyism of people what don’t want a windfarm near them; they’d prefer it if someone else has to suffer fumes from a coal-fired power station or someone else’s kids develop Leukaemia from living near a nuclear power station instead. As long as they can have their leccy and live comfortably away from all the oiks.

I live in a very poor area, with myriad social problems, yet still people are friendly towards each other, help each other out and that. A right nice little community is developing in the little bit I live in, and it’s great that there’s a right mix of characters and cultures and stuff. We might live cheek-by-jowl here, but we actually get to communicate with people from other social and cultural groups, which is great.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, that’s Wapping for you…….all that’s emblamatic of the 1980s, Thatcher, Murdoch and the delightful City culture which Cameron has just ‘saved’. In a ‘Me Me Me’ culture, what else can you expect but…..me me me?

I drink in Wapping a fair bit, and I have to say that the majority of people down there are pretty decent tbh. The behaviour Grantway speaks of does not in any way sound typical of most people who live there, I have to say. It’s a fairly quiet, peaceful sort of place, and those that pay silly money to live there don’t tend to poo on their own doorstep really.

al2000

a guy bought his Fish & chips etc in a brand new Range Rover

That’s London for you. Here in the provinces, we buy them in paper.

trailmonkey

am i right in thinking that the consensus is that people throw litter because they’re one of or a combination of the following:

unpatriotists
    urbanists
    ruralists
    range roverists
    chavists
    evilists

isn’t it cos they’re just twatists ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was once pausing by the side of a country back-road during a sunny biking afternoon. When I finished eating my banana, I chucked the skin over the hedge into a field, where it would of course, have eventually rottted back into the ground and/or blown away.

A range-rover driver who had just pulled off the M25 screeched to a halt and had a fuming, shouty red-faced go at me for littering the countryside, then drove off.

One of those occasions when you think of all the clever replies after the event…

project
    Free Member

The other day I was in Wapping and a guy bought his Fish & chips etc
    in a brand new Range Rover and finished his food and packed it nicely
    together and just thrown it out onto the pavement.

As an ex range rover driver and owner will know, the newver models are not fittied with any holder for used fish and chip wrapers, also i feel so sorry for the chap having to eat a takeaway in his vehicle, obviously times are harder for some .

Oh ansd bannana skins dont rot down, they just go brown and slippery, and are not eaten by an animal due to the tastes and stringyness.

grantway
    Free Member

Just gone to the shop near me and an Asian guy came out the shop before me
    and just Pissed up a tree 🙄

trailmonkey

why does it matter that he was asian ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Maybe because he was Asian he actually lived in the tree.

Is that what you mean grantway?

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s European integration. He went to Spain on holiday and noted everyone chucked their rubbish out of the train/bus/car window and thought it would be cool to do like the latins.

grantway
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    It’s European integration. He went to Spain on holiday and noted everyone chucked their rubbish out of the train/bus/car window and thought it would be cool to do like the latins.

Na I have a place in Spain and the law don’t take kindly to people doing such things
    and you see young guys pull up in there cars to put there tin cans etc in the bins

mainly find its the English disposing there rubbish in such a way.

grantway
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    why does it matter that he was asian ?

But he was ! If it was a piece of White shit i’ll would have said White OK !
    Or would he have been Pinkish with a bit of Anglo Saxon and Viking in him
    would you have been happy
    Sorry i did not ask for ones DNA or bothered to take an urine sample.

donsimon
    Free Member

Na I have a place in Spain and the law don’t take kindly to people doing such things
    and you see young guys pull up in there cars to put there tin cans etc in the bins

That wouldn’t explain why they have street cleaners working practically 24/7 and whatever you do do not use Google images for botellón.
    The Law?

eddie1971
    Free Member

I care a lot, but litter isn’t a indication that nobody cares anymore. The lack of freedom of speech and the fact this country is not our own anymore indicates nobody cares.

Patriotism and our identity is fading

grantway
    Free Member

Woow Don Simon that is mad
    Well Lucky for me i am in the District of Alicante
    You can’t even walk down the road with a beer in your hand
    the Police will take it off of you

Spin
    Free Member

the fact this country is not our own anymore indicates nobody cares.

When was it ‘ours’?

Or are you Viscount Eddie1971?

Edukator
    Free Member

I commuted on the RENFE between Sitges and Barcelona for a year and I can assure you everything that didn’t get dropped on the floor went out of the window to join the continuous pile of trash along the track.

People used to go out of the windows too as people afraid of not being able to get off at their stop hogged the doors. Getting on could be problematic unless you grabbed someone and tried to haul them off. One station master was quite happy to blow his whistle while a handicapped person sat in a wheelchair on the platform unable to get on despite abundant free places in the middle of the wagon.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1g9PFtSCKw[/video]

eddie1971
    Free Member

no spin just English, a tax payer

donsimon
    Free Member

The lack of freedom of speech and the fact this country is not our own anymore indicates nobody cares.

You still have freedom of speech and the resposibility that goes with it, not sure what you mean by the country not being our own. If it’s not ours, whose is it? Care to elaborate?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Such as the selfish nimbyism of people what don’t want a windfarm near them; they’d prefer it if someone else has to suffer fumes from a coal-fired power station or someone else’s kids develop Leukaemia from living near a nuclear power station instead. As long as they can have their leccy and live comfortably away from all the oiks.

windfarms don’t replace conventional or nuclear power stations, none, zero, the need for conventional generating capacity for the grid remains and is not offset by 1MW by all the wind generation we build. They are a sop to the “we must do something” brigade as they are the most visual form of what is proports to be “green” energy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Does Anyone Actually Care About This Country Anymore’ is closed to new replies.