• This topic has 30 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Doctor in the house please?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve realised I’ve accidentally double dosed my antibiotics today, my first day of taking them. They’re 500mg ciprofloxacin, I’ve taken two lots of two, when I should have taken only one twice. The ‘instructions’ that go with them are quite alarming, should I be worried? What should I do? Please don’t suggest calling 101, apparently they always end up saying go to A and E, no matter what you say.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjsMjZ9hLY[/video]

Drac

Call 111.

MrOvershoot

How much do you weigh?

Don’t take any tomorrow then re commence the day after on the right dose.

wwaswas

What drac said.

Or are there any late night pharmacies near you?

scaredypants

1) Are you epileptic ?

2) Do your kidneys work well ?

3) Taking any other drugs ?

4) If you don’t mind, what are they for ?

headfirst
    Free Member

Drac you’re an actual doctor aren’t you? I’ll call 111

somafunk

I’m not a doctor…….

Now that I’ve got my disclaimer in…..I wouldn’t worry too much, I take ciprofloxacin perhaps 4/5 times a year as I get bladder infections due to having to use catheters (spinal cord injury) and I tend to take a double dunt on the first day that my bladder explodes in a rain of foul piss, I’ve not died in 20+ years of use and I’m currently on them at the moment.

jimbobo
    Free Member

you gonna poop! You’ll also be fine. c/o ex 111 clinical Advisor.

Drac

Drac you’re an actual doctor aren’t you?

God no.

MrOvershoot

The reason I ask about the weight is a veterinary friend said he never understood why they administer antibiotics on a dose amount/animal weight yet most GP’s give the same dose to humans weighing 8 stone or 18?

scaredypants

If you’re a youngish, biggish, otherwise well adult, white european (bloke?), we’d merrily give you 750mg twice a day

There are some folk we’d watch quite closely after the dose you’ve had (poor kidneys, diabetics, some heart rhythms (but these tend not to be known in advance anyway), hsitory of seizures or recent head injury, tendon ruptures) and there are some other drugs that it doesn’t mix well with)

… but mostly, drink plenty of water and you’ll be right

If you want to email me with any details/questions, feel free
    (not a doctor – pharmacist with job involving infections)

benjamins11
    Free Member

Toxic dose of cipro is 70mg/kg assuming you weigh 70kg and you have taken 2000mg your aling way under that.

Just looked it up on toxbase for you, peak concentration about 1-2 hours post dose so if no problems yet, unlikely will be provided you are fit and healthy. Official guidance is not to worry and send home under toxic dose.

I wouldn’t be too worried if it was me, however corollary to this I don’t know you, and don’t know your medical history. If your worried go to ae.

headfirst
    Free Member

Ok I called 111,which was less painful than I anticipated, a clinician is going to call me back.
    Scaedypants:
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Ibuprofen, co-codamol
    4. Epididimitis (do Not Google image search this if you don’t know what it is)

somafunk, cheers for that info, it’s reassuring

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers ben, I’m nearer 100 kg, slightly above my fighting / racing weight at the mo 😉

Drac

son I ask about the weight is a veterinary friend said he never understood why they administer antibiotics on a dose amount/animal weight yet most GP’s give the same dose to humans weighing 8 stone or 18?

Because humans are different to animals.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve just read your second post scaredypants…I’m gonna live!! Thanks again all

headfirst
    Free Member

I must say, I haven’t been on here for ages, but you guys always come through with quick expert answers every time. Long live STW!

Spin
    Free Member

Whilst all you doctors are on here maybe you could go across to that other thread and tell that chap how to stop his wife bleeding.

somafunk

Your #4 above : sometimes that happens to me, instead of the bacteria brewing in my bladder it sometimes pays an unwelcome visit to another body part…… Such as in “oh my **** God!!!, my left bollock has swollen to the size of a small grapefruit……. It doesn’t fit in a **** pint glass 😯

Always my left bollock for some reason……..and it’s a damn site more painful than a simple/everyday bladder infection

Drink plenty of water, avoid sugary drinks.

I know it’s not advisable but I still manage a beer or two or a wee whisky (for my personal moral support you understand)

Best o’ luck with your unfeasonably large testicle 😆

scaredypants

OK, given your answers to 1-4:

don’t take ibuprofen tonight (there’s a v small risk that it might slow down the process of getting rid of the cipro)

cipro sometimes affects your brain a bit – sort of reduces your concentration usually but sometimes drowsy etc (occasionally fits but that’s very rare in people who aren’t at risk anyway). As a result, co-codamol on top isn’t dangerous but you may feel a bit woooo

100kg of solid muscle, no doubt – crack on; as the vet said, why would we dose you the same as a 50kilo granny ?

DRINK LOTS OF WATER – there’s a very small risk of it cystallising out in yer urine, so dilute it
    (don’t get me wrong, just plenty – don’t go mental on it)

Seriously, don’t panic at all if you’re healthy and large (see other points ^ up there in my 2nd post but unless you know you’re “unusual” there’s VERY little risk of you even noticing the “overdose”)

(Happy to provide my registration details if you want them – we’re supposed to make our credentials clear)

scaredypants

Whilst all you doctors are on here maybe you could go across to that other thread and tell that chap how to stop his wife bleeding.

Is there some way of maybe plugging the wound ?

Kryton57

Spin – Member

Genuine ROFL!

Spin
    Free Member

Genuine ROFL!

🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

Somafunk, it’s my right one, we’ve got a matching pair 😀

I am now drinking plenty of water.

111 called back and told me what I already knew from you lot, cheers again

No need for your details scaredypants, just your mobile number so I can ring you directly with any medical issues in the future

scaredypants

did you see my addit/edit about the water? – don’t drink litres of the stuff, just so you’re peeing well

(no mobile reception here, just shine a special light onto a nearby cloud)

good luck with the knackers, btw – I found wearing 2 or 3 pairs of pants helped; stops you walking round with your hand down there supporting ’em, looking like a teenage gangsta !

MrOvershoot

Drac – Moderator
    Because humans are different to animals.

Do we react that different to antibiotics? I don’t know, I was just a part of a conversation with a GP friend. Is it like lifts where they say max load 15 people based on 70kg per person.

scaredypants

MrO – depending on what’s causing the infection and where it is in the body, we can often achieve useful levels of many drugs well before we really start to worry about toxic effects. As a result we often give “more than enough”. You can also pretty easily review the patient and they can tell you if something’s not right, more so than a horse anyway.

For genuinely toxic drugs, we dose by weight a little bit but also liver/kidney function which may well be more important (anticancer drugs even more checks involved to get it just right/maxed out but safe)

Humans are buggers for being obese, though, which definitely complicates dosing when we’re pushing our luck with toxic vs ineffective

MrOvershoot

Thanks for that scaredypants well explained 🙂

I might add that said vet & GP were slightly sloshed (that was my fault) & IIRC the vet did say they optimised the dose/weight as drugs cost when your treating a heard of 500 cattle.

DrP

because humans are different to animals

And every doctor knows children are just small adults..

And as for the lady with the painters in, I could have mentioned norethisterone 5mg three times a day…but didn’t…

DrP

Drac

And every doctor knows children are just small adults

😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Doctor in the house please?’ is closed to new replies.