• This topic has 31 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Do they think we're MUGS?
  • DezB
    Free Member

£75! SEVENTYFIVE QUID?? for a pair of shorts?

Come on, nobody would spend £75 on a pair of (unlined) shorts! Would they?

http://bikemagic.com/gear/reviews/poc-trail-baggy-shorts-review.html

richen987
    Free Member

I believe the Mavic Stratos are £80(rrp) cheaper online, and they are unlined too.
    Not just POC.
    Imo buying full price mtb shorts is silly money for what you get.

wrecker
    Free Member
    shortcut

Personally I don’t like lined shorts, so the lack of one is a bonus.

Having said that I probably wouldn’t buy them because of the price. In a sale, or discounted maybe. Also not sure of the reliability of POC kit yet.

As for do they think we are mugs – probably not. Gore and Rapha stuff isn’t any cheaper and have you seem the price of an Assos road short lately?

£75 steep, possibly not unreasonable depending on quality, price, reputation and competition!

The world is not out to rip us off. If you can’t afford it buy something else. If you can afford it and do want it buy it. We live in a world with free choice!

lucien

Tbh as far as the original post title – this could relate to most bits if bike kit and associated apparel

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yes it’s expensive and no it’s not got many features.

You don’t have to buy POC gear. While some of it looks quite nice, I won’t bother to pay full RRP for it – I’ll happily settle to be less consciously fashionista and buy my cycling gear elsewhere anyway.

You all have the same choice.

binners

They don’t THINK we’re mugs, they KNOW. And Dear God! There’s enough evidence from the most cursory glance through the threads on here

DezB
    Free Member

I certainly do have a choice.. I may have paid around £60 in the past for shorts, but only because they had a damn good liner (Sugoi Gustavs).

this could relate to most bits if bike kit and associated apparel
    that’s kind of my point.

Brianblessed
    Free Member

ere ere

grum
    Free Member

They don’t THINK we’re mugs, they KNOW. And Dear God! There’s enough evidence from the most cursory glance through the threads on here

This.

My best bike shorts are some Royal ones that were on offer for about £15. Most I’ve ever spent was when I foolishly bought some Endura Singletrack’s for about £35 and they were rubbish – fell apart pretty quickly. I got some Specialized Enduro shorts free which are really good but no way would I be paying £50+ for them.

Northwind

Shorts are silly expensive- I was just looking at Royal DH ones the other night and I didn’t really look at the prices til halfway through, just assumed they’d all be about £30-£40. Nope…

Superficial
    Free Member

There was a shorts grouptest in Dirt the other week. I don’t think any of them cost less than £60 and the most expensive were £110 IIRC. Which would be fine if the expensive ones offered a perceptible advantage over the other ones, but as someone else has said, I’ve also had expensive (ish) shorts that fell apart. My favourites are the Decathlon ones I bought for 20 Euros, they’ve outlasted everything else and they’re spot on.

continuity
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shorts-5-black-grey-id_8126235.html#

14.99, including liner.

None in my size!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love my sombrios, £60 unlined and well worth it.

widge34
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    There was a shorts grouptest in Dirt the other week. I don’t think any of them cost less than £60 and the most expensive were £110 IIRC. Which would be fine if the expensive ones offered a perceptible advantage over the other ones, but as someone else has said, I’ve also had expensive (ish) shorts that fell apart. My favourites are the Decathlon ones I bought for 20 Euros, they’ve outlasted everything else and they’re spot on.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

How do the Decathlon shorts size up? I’m usually a medium but my Alturas are a large. The Decathlons have no mediums but have large.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just passed a Uniqlo store in central London – three quarter soft shell pants £9.99, lightweight shorts £19. Add a liner to both and they look great for riding in cool and warmer conditions. Jack Wolfskin across the road £70 tops, Uniqlo £29. Duh!!!!

stevede
    Free Member

Here’s one for you (not shorts but similar in value for money stakes) – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73230
    £20 for a pair of socks is a bargain when you read that they have been refined to perfection.
    At least it guarantees exclusivity, doubtfull you’ll be bumping into too many other mugs wearing the same socks!

jam-bo

Ooo. Quite like the look of them poc shorts. Thanks…

maccruiskeen

I love my sombrios, £60 unlined and well worth it.

Have the zips jammed and poppers pinged off and the bottoms of the pockets unstitched themselves yet? I’ve got three bits of sombrio kit -, they’d all be fabulous if they didn’t disassemble themselves.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got some decathlon shorts, the inners not the best but it’s functional, mine must have been an older model as they’ve got zip up pockets on the thighs and looks a bit more robust, but the build qualities better than anything else I’ve had.

matt_outandabout

My Decathlong baggies rubbed raw on my thights.
    My Decathlon cheap shorts lasted about 2 months.
    My cheap Tresspass outdoor trousers fell to bits and tore inside 6 months.
    My expensive Sombrio baggies are now 5 years old, and still going strong.
    My (sale) Nike and Endura inner shorts are also 3+ years old and going strong.
    My really expensive Patagonia walking trousers are 3 years in on being worn a few days a week, and look like new.

You pays your money and…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Alot of mountain bike riders like/need to be seen as mountain bike riders. Its obviously a big part of their small personality. Wearing clothes made by poc/intrepidapparel/fox/sombrio/howies etc. helps them to be seen (by others) as mountain bikers.

iain1775
    Free Member

Widge
    My (free with mag subscription) Alturas are a med, they are way too small for me, my medium decathalon shorts prob slightly bigger but still a bit small I’d say go with a large
    Having said that my large Altura waterproof 3/4’s are a large and bit too big! (I’m 34″ waist)
    Personally decathlon shorts are ok for money but liners are rubbish I wear with separate liners/cycling shorts instead and save the liners for the short work commute
    Still to find reasonable priced shorts with decent poppers/buttons/belt that doesn’t either pop open or dig in

widge34
    Free Member

My Alturas were free with a mag subscription and I have to say they have been brilliant, so I will probably just buy another pair of those.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still got some Race Face shorts (£80 rrp) from about 05
    Sombreo ones that must be 5 years old at least going strong (£70RRP)

I don’t mind paying for stuff that lasts fits and works

You don’t have to buy it……

(also STW needs to learn about inflation prices generally go up)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Just avoid fox, look smart ,top dollar but they will split if you fart!!!! The rest will look brand new but the ass wears out!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Got some POC shorts in a sale, they’re alright actually. The material doesn’t soak up water like I’ve had other brands do and they fit nice. Seem quite hard wearing so far.

monkeyboyjc

i just do a 6 month subscription to two well known future publishing mtb mags when ever they have a decent free gift (currently shorts with a £70rrp) – that way i get the shorts for £20 or so and 6 free (but rubish) magazines.

lock
    Free Member

I never get moaning about higher priced stuff,just don get it plenty of cheaper stuff around,

You can pay £20 for a pair of jeans or £200 and plenty in between

I always find more pricey stuff a better fit and better tailoring,got plenty of both though

molgrips
    Free Member

Assos road shorts are totally worth it though. If you had some you’d know what I mean.

DezB
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Ooo. Quite like the look of them poc shorts. Thanks…

MUG!

lock – Member
    I always find more pricey stuff a better fit and better tailoring,got plenty of both though

MUG!

🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Do they think we're MUGS?’ is closed to new replies.