Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • Do it all 29er hardtail…. if you had to…
  • Brake-neck
    Free Member

The ‘trailsy’ HTs such as Solaris, FF29, (Fireline) come out as a bit of a compromise in my mind

Why?

mrblobby
    Free Member

my take:

Yeah, I reckon a do it all is most likely something that you’d pick for some uppy downy have a go trail riding, but not something suitable for racing at any discipline (except maybe at a push gravity enduro) as all so massively compromised.

Not sure I’d pick a single speed as my do it all either.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A do it all bike is going to be compromised, that’s inevitable as its got to be competent at everything. A jack of all trades.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I am steadily picking up parts for a 29er SS build for the winter, to mince around my local 1.5 – 2hr loop and not have to clean it very often.

Not got a frame lined up yet, hoping to get a go on a Stanton Sherpa when the samples come in later this year.

Otherwise it might just be a Scandal, or….oh I dunno.

Those Yelli’s look wrong with the bendy top tube, like it’s been run into a tree. However, it interests me from mattg’s pic above how far back they get the seat with the sloping seat tube. Looks almost right over the rear axle, compared to some other bikes. I wonder how that compares to other bikes.

singlespeedstu

Birchy.

Did you not try the Yelli last time?

If your up this way visiting family you can borrow it or the QH for a couple of days.

nickc

I have to have a 29er?

Then I’m right behind BWD in the queue for Yoga classes

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

My Taro’s numbers: 419 CS, 68°, 120 fork, 310 BB, 12kg.

z1ppy

I liked the look of those Taro’s but wasn’t impressed by the spec’s & they didn’t do a frame only option (looks like you’ve replaced nearly everything MNTB). 1st one I’ve seen & it looks good.

As per the rules of this thread… my bike, a Whyte 929 (fresh out of the box back in Jan):

P1010895 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

Out in the wilds of late:

P1010958 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

dragon
    Free Member

Got to be a Trek Rumblefish or Stache, depending on your preference for full sus or hardtail.

rewski
    Free Member

Without any doubt it’s got to be a Maxlight Sync Ti.

Stiggy

Treat yourself to a handbuilt Curtis:
    Untitled by Stiggy2011, on Flickr]null

messiah
    Free Member

Love the Curtis 8)

Shand?

This looks a bit XC but its custom so have it your own way :mrgreen:

mattjg
    Free Member

@stiggy liking the look of that, wonder if they’d do a Yelli-a-like. Hmmmm. What are the figures on yours?

Stiggy

Static with 120mm forks: 68.3 head angle, 73 seat angle, 435mm stays, it’s great fun to ride and now my only bike! It’s going to be a model called the AM9.

sandwicheater

I went with a Scandal V2 and spent the money i saved on some nicer bits.

Only been on a few rides but am really pleased.

Untitled by sandwicheater, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

Stiggy ta, I wonder if they could get a few mm out of those chainstays and slacken it a tad more .. does it feel steel? The geo of the Yelli is great but I wouldn’t mind a little bit of steel zing.

If I’m not careful I’m going to find myself with a new project here …

Stiggy

Definitely feels steel, 853 front end with a Columbus 29er specific rear, cherry picked tubes or what? Head angle would not be not be a problem, shorter stays might be. They are however coming out with a 27.5 frame with 425 stays and a 68mm head angle. Talk to Gary, he’s a top bloke.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx, I mailed but you pretty much said it all there.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I knew I should have waited for that Kinesis…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Matt ..Gary will do whatever you like …but it’ll cost ….and make the Yelli look cheap

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ will it make a 2nd hand Nimble 9 look good value too?

Stiggy

The Yelli isn’t handmade by a master craftsman though 🙂

ska-49
    Free Member

Stiggy- mind me asking how much it set you back?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

The FF29 is a pretty awesome all rounder 🙂

Kinesis Ti 29er prototype by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

I rode the prototype of the Sync at the Bonty last year, that was pretty damn good too

Stiggy

The AM9 will be £900

rickon
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 and that Curtis…. oh my. I think I did a sex wee.

Those Ardents look humongous! They’ve gotta be 2.4s, which I guess us a 2.8 with any caliper.

Damn saving for a wedding, I want a 29er hardtail for poncing about the woods on. Maybe I’ll stick a cardboard cutout of the Curtis to my 5Spot and pretend.

Stiggy

Haha! Good work!

ska-49
    Free Member

That curtis is stunning! Everything looks perfect.
    Some day I’ll get one (in 650b).

Edit- bars look rather narrow in your pics? I know, personal preference.

Cheezpleez

My do-it-all would have to be biased towards dicking about so Buzzard (have), Canfield, Honzo/Taro, Cromag Surface, etc would be on the list.

I like that Taro up there as a sensibly priced option, although, as said above, it looks like you’ve re-specced it pretty thoroughly. Why don’t they do it frame-only or with a decent spec?

One day someone will make a bike with this geo in cheap carbon and that will go to the top of my list. Calling Brant (again)…

singlecrack
    Free Member

I think you get what you pay for ….Curtis frames are lovely

Stiggy

Ardent front is only a 2.25

Stiggy

Bars are 711mm, 730mm Thomsons on order 🙂

Cheezpleez

The Curtis is lovely but I’ve become obsessed with chainstay length and it falls outside my arbitrary threshold. 8)

Lucky really, as there’s no way on earth I’ll ever pay £900 for a steel hardtail frame that’s going to get beaten, abused and covered in mud.

Stiggy

It’ll still ride the same….

mattjg
    Free Member

The Curtis, only a tad more than CTBM’s price for a Yelli, and less I’m sure than a Nimble 9 or steel Niner.

OK it’s > double a Buzzard but on my brief try on a Buzzard I didn’t feel any steel zing.

I share Cheez’s obsession with chainstays, I think I’d sacrifice a front mech if that swings it.

singlecrack
    Free Member

The Curtis would be a lot more if you had it speck’ed to what you want …I.e Yelli geometry….prob more like £1200…that’s what I was told after a conversation with Gary….when I wanted a steel Yelli

Gotama
    Free Member

Singletrack – interesting. How far did you go with the conversation and was it a direct replica of the yelli? Fancy making a few adjustments personally, slightly steeper seat angle and maybe a lower bb with a 140mm fork and would rather stump up a bit more, ok 30%, to get exactly what I want. Plus Stiggy’s looks tight for clearance on the rear stay and I’m guessing the rear tyre is an ikon? I’d like to get 2.4 rubber like a dampf in there for alps trips.

rewski
    Free Member

chromag surface is a beauty, dekerf only makes a few a year, not cheap. Also on my dream list is this cielo.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, surface comes out at the same as the Curtis custom by the time you’ve paid taxes etc ie 1200. Beautiful frame though which is a thought that never comes to mind when I get my yelli out the shed despite how much I like the way it rides.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Gotama…just give Gary a ring send have a that he’ll tell you all you need to know

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Do it all 29er hardtail…. if you had to…’ is closed to new replies.