Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do I need a torque wrench?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Just got myself some Truvativ Stylo cranks with their GXP bottom bracket, also have Truvativ Elita cranks on my crosser – which hasn’t, as yet, needed any maintenance. Do I need a torque wrench for installation and fettling, looking at the instructions it seems I do 😕

If so any recommendations?

mrmo
    Free Member

you don’t need a Torque wrench, and if you go that route you must not switch your brain off and assume the torque wrench is right. They do break, they do wear out, they do go out of calibration.

Use a decent allen key and do it up snug, you should be fine.

End of the day it is your call though.

bomberman
    Free Member

i don’t think so. every bolt on your bike has a reccomended torque setting but i’ve never used a torque wrench. just gotta make sure you don’t nip things up so tight that you damage the threads. But if you can afford it and think you’ll use it often enough then go for it

wors

metre long rod welded to your allen keys and a spring balance. you’ll be reet 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Allen keys are usually made so if they hurt your hand, you’re pushing too hard 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t really need one if you have any form of mechanical sympathy and a brain between your ears. I’ve got 2 (I like tools, OK!) that I’ve bought for other stuff and the only thing I regularly use them for on a bike is doing up casette lockrings. Cassettes with alloy carriers/lockrings like SRAM PG990s can deform if you do them up too tight.

But otherwise, I’ve never had a problem

You’d be better spending a few quid on a tin of copper grease and dabbing a bit on all your bolt threads before you tighten them up, especially disc rotor bolts. That will hepl in the long run, believe me!
    🙂

nickc

Only to demonstrate that most folk do stuff up too tight.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hmmm ok then. What does 34-41 Nm feel like then? Tight I assume according to this video

GXP video

Jimbo
    Free Member

You’d be better spending a few quid on a tin of copper grease and dabbing a bit on all your bolt threads before you tighten them up, especially disc rotor bolts. That will hepl in the long run, believe me!

Copper grease on rotor bolts? Believe you? Threadlock (Loctite, 243 IIRC) is the stuff you should use…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Copper grease on rotor bolts? Believe you? Threadlock (Loctite, 243 IIRC) is the stuff you should use…

Yeah. It stops them siezeing. Loctite ain’t necessary.
    Been using it, ohh, 20-odd years on pretty much everything I work on that I value. Then when you need to take it apart again, it will, no problems

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And anyway, you missed the point, which was that a tub of CG is more use than a torque wrench.
    🙂

bomberman
    Free Member

i don’t think either copper grease or threadlock would hurt on rotor bolts. however they do come with blue threadlock as standard.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a torque wrench?’ is closed to new replies.