Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Do I Need A Salad Spinner? [Washing Salad Content]
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I never wash my salad/veg*, but think maybe I should start. If I do, should I get a salad spinner? If so, which one?

*Insert joke here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*Insert joke here.

Don’t need to.

IHN

Never washed it, never have, never buying a salad spinner.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Get a rigid SS spinner – proper hardcore.

ThePinkster

No, don’t need a spinner, just a linen tea towel and plenty of space to swing it around in. Back gardens are great for this, although you may get strange looks from your neighbours.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Wash salad, put it in a net bag, tie the end, swing bag of salad round head like a mace. Sorted.
    Chain mail and beard optional extras.
    *curse you pinkster!*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quite like this one.

Or, hey you could go Kitchen Aid for £115 (one born every minute, eh?)

Or how about this 20 litre capacity for when the Greeks arrive en masse (lotta feta salad to be makin’ there). Need a 230V socket handy:

yetim
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00005QB5U/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550933629&ref=asc_df_B00005QB5U

these work well until your father in law decide to take it apart then its just ok, also works well as a childs toy.

not entirely sure you “need” one, dont they wash lettuce in chlorine or something

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I can now put the mesh bag that came with my Assos bib shorts to good use 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you toss as well?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Taken from the “How to be an artist” thread. Put salad in mesh bag and,

Swing as high as you can on a swingset by moonlight.

binners

Hang the salad out on the line to dry

Have you got any pegs?

thegreatape
    Free Member

No. Just tell your pet rabbit to RTFU.

mattjg
    Free Member

If you’re buying lettuce whole or pulling them from the garden, they’re really useful. As well as making washing easy they’re good for storing the leaves in the fridge (they keep for quite a while) so it’s dead handy to pull out a few leaves when you want them. So basically, wash in a batch then you have ready salad on demand.

Ours is like this: http://www.johnlewis.com/231459874/Product.aspx

You can also use the bowl as a serving bowl.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We eat masses of Salad and most is Organic and either from farms or from Waitrose unwashed.
    Salad Spinners a must in the Bouy household and we’ve got to the point of getting through 2-3 a year. They’re not the best made things on the planet and with our excessive* use I guess we just have to put up with it, better that than eating grit and bugs IMO.

*to us, it isn’t excessive.

wwaswas

better that than eating grit and bugs IMO.

Maybe slightly damp salad is bettert than throwing loads of plastic into landfill?

I love the fact that Waitrose do a ‘unwashed’ salad makes it sound like its for the poor people struggling to avoid going to sainsburys 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Redacted. CBA.

wwaswas

Redacted after other posters CBA redaction…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh 🙁

It was such a fun thread…

andyl
    Free Member

Salad spinners are great. Ikea do one for £4 which is alright but you can’t beat the pump action ones like the Oxo Good Grips one that even has an emergency stop. Hours of fun 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well we do have an Asda nearby put then it’s full of Pikies* so Waitrose is the Ye Olde Shoppe of choice. However back “home” we have the Co-Op express in the village that sell that awful stuff from that Florentina company (or whatever they’re called)

Anyhoo’s we get a lot of stuff from the Market Garden of England, just outside Arlesford, Hampshire.

*Phah.

mattjg
    Free Member

Don’t put the OXO strainer bit through the dishwasher, they come out distinctly non-round.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

I imagine you have the necessary tools already

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKmAGUIDMs[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

What the hell happened to this thread? Deletions, redactions?

Salad spinning is obviously serious business.

Oh, and to dip my toe into the centrifugal world of salad spinning, I just picked up a cheap one from Tesco.

Oh the fun I am going to have later!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU[/video]

alexpalacefan

Yes. You’ll want to wash bugs and dirt off, right?

You then need to get rid of the water as the salad won’t keep and dressing won’t cling to it.

A proper device is loads better than the swing-round-the-head method, which is hassle really, and doesn’t do a proper job.

There we are,

APF

messiah
    Free Member

I cut some slots in the side of my one of these…

Works a treat.

And it’s easy to move outside for that al-fresco summer dining.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We have one, its big, its yellow and it takes up lots of space that could be better utilised for something else. I have never used it, the misses seems to like it though (god knows why)

Get a sieve much more useful

IMHO

andyl
    Free Member

What the hell happened to this thread? Deletions, redactions?

Salad spinning is obviously serious business.

Oh, and to dip my toe into the centrifugal world of salad spinning, I just picked up a cheap one from Tesco.

I think it triggered the meat washing thread. Sorry mods 😳

Tescos? Is it motorised? How many horse power? 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Do I Need A Salad Spinner? [Washing Salad Content]’ is closed to new replies.