Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Disc pads losing compound – Brand/quality issue or it just happens deal with it.
  • chr15
    Free Member

So the rear brake (Hayes MX4 mechanical disc – backup bike!) suddenly stopped working during a ride. On closer inspection the compound from one pad had totally detached and lost itself somewhere on the hillside. The pads were only maybe 20% worn. I’ve seen this before on a friends bike too, although his pads were fairly well worn.

Is this because I bought cheap pads and I should be less tight in future, have I mistreated the pads somehow, or is it just something that happens sometimes even if you buy super-pricey fancy pants pads?

njee20
    Free Member

Were they Superstar pads?

I’ll put the kettle on, I’ve got some Rich Teas, and some Bourbons, I think there’s some Caramel digestives too. We’re low on milk, but come, gather round.

RealMan
    Free Member

Superstar pads do this now and then. They won’t do anything about it. But they’re still loads cheaper then anything else.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One reason why I never buy cheapo pads.

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve had dozens of pairs of Superstar pads, and never had this problem. I have seen it on Hope pads though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

disco pads – just like super star with out the surly customer service. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is this because I bought cheap pads

Life lesson 1: You buy cheap, you get cheap.

ThePinkster

I’ve had EBC’s do this to me on a front 203mm disc with Hope C2’s.
    Bit of a shock when you really need your front brake.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My Hope pads did that on one wet ride in the Peaks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is this because I bought cheap pads

Life lesson 1: You buy cheap, you get cheap.

That doesn’t really apply here, TBH.
    Yes, sure, Superstar had an issue with one batch, what? 3,4 years ago now? But anybody of any intelligence is past that now….. 8)
    But I’ve had it happen on OEM motorbike brake pads, and I’ve heard it happening on just about every brand of MTB pads there is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unlike PP I have never had it happen, never heard of it with motorcycle pads and the one bad batch was a lie as well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I see my point has just been proven. 🙄

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Talking of brakes did you ever get the scooter sorted?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

never heard of it with motorcycle pads

Nor had I. The first I heard of it was CLUNK.

I wondered if I’d run over a bump or something.

Then I braked for a 30 limit and the back brake did NOTHING!

Fairly new pads, no lining at all on one side…..Which gets the old ticker going as I’d been giving it some stick that very same day. Luckily it was the rear 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Teej, no, I’ve ordered a used caliper but I doubt I’ll get it fitted this side of Christmas. The whole thing is in bits where I took the rear brake line out…. bodywork all over the place. I’ve had to label all the screws so I know which bit they hold on when I come to rebuild it!
    I WILL FIX IT!!!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve finally found a set of pads that lasted a decent amount of time and didn’t fall off.

Yep, Superstars

JohnB
    Free Member

Had this happen to me with EBC many years ago and have never used them since, even when they offered me free (sponsorship) pads for my car.

I have never had it happen with my Magura pads.

Buy cheap buy twice…………..

skywalker
    Free Member

I’ve used EBC pads for years and never had any issues whatsoever.

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve used superstar for years and never had a problem.

nuke

No problem with SS pads for me…had 4 more sets arrive today with Haribo 😀

… although chr15 has not yet stated what make they were so, given there are a few cheap brake pad brands, it’s not fair to assume SS.

james
    Free Member

“Superstar pads do this now and then. They won’t do anything about it”
    I seem to think they’ve said they think its using a screwdriver/etc to push the pads/pistons back (I’ve had SS pads go this way) or not bedded in properly (they’re not easy ‘bedders in’, perhaps especially so if you have too big or too well vented rotors and haven’t got a massive hill to drag them down?

I’m still on SS sintered’s anyway atm. Will go back to ‘organic’ SS front/sintered SS rear once it dries up a bit, maybe organic/organic SS, though maybe something else If I go on go biking somewhere drier

snowpaul
    Free Member

only ever had it happen on superstar pads… never on hope / avid / shimano or clarks… I ride a lot – go draw your own conclusion…

paul

big_n_daft
    Free Member

.. I ride a lot – go draw your own conclusion

you brake too much ?
    you don’t bed in properly? 😉

personally I’ve been lucky and have never had this occur with any brand (Shimano, EBC, SS etc)

Northwind

Happened to me with Shimano OEM. Also on the motorbike with a very expensive Carbon Lorraine pad, that was no fun, luckily it was the rear or I think I may have been utterly ****ed. Seen a Hope one as well, failed just the same way- whole pad dropped off the backing.

So as far as I can tell, it’s just something that happens.

toys19
    Free Member

snowpaul – Member

only ever had it happen on superstar pads… never on hope / avid / shimano or clarks… I ride a lot – go draw your own conclusion…

paul

The conclusion is : Anecdotes do not make science.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s only happened to me with Hope pads. I ride a lot, draw your own prejudices.

atlaz
    Free Member

I had some avids crumble off the backing. But the pads were 2 years old and rusting.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Clarks? Nothing, they are as good as EBC or OEM.. and they can often be found at a discount..

dingabell
    Free Member

Had this many times with Superstar brake pads. Now buy from Disco Brakes. Not had a problem since.

IHN

Had this many times with Superstar brake pads. Now buy from Disco Brakes.

Aren’t they basically the same company?

Anyway, if you bed your pads in properly they won’t fall off.

chr15
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Had deliberately left the brand out of it, but many of you saw straight through my cunning ploy and went straight for Superstar!! They are Superstar Sintered! Never pushed the pistons back on these brakes as they’re mechanical and don’t stick. I believe they were properly bedded in. They were bought recently and didn’t look all that sorry for themselves (aside from the missing bit of course.)

Will perhaps try some different brands in future…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Disc pads losing compound – Brand/quality issue or it just happens deal with it.’ is closed to new replies.