Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc pads and labelling across road/mtb…
  • iainc

recently got some pads from an online retailer for my Shimano 105’s (785’s) on Gravel bike. they were desribed as :

Disc pad inserts feature our Race Matrix compound which is higher friction coefficient than standard pads and delivers high levels of power, excellent modulation and pad life. For use with Shimano RS785 – RS685 road disc brake systems.

what actually turned up were :

Disc pad inserts feature our Race Matrix compound which is higher friction coefficient than standard pads and delivers high levels of power, excellent modulation and pad life. For use with Shimano New XTR M985, M987, M988, M975, M965 – XT M785 – SLX M666, M675 – Deore M615 disc brake systems.

They look the same, cost the same, retailer says are the same…

I’m pretty sure they are the same 🙂 just a bit odd that they label them differently ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think they’re all going through some Marketing Bollox A Level writing course at the moment.
    Would be silly to exclude a Niche in cycling products when in all reality a lot of whats produced will work across all niches.

We’re only at the forefront of “call it another name for the blue one, yeah, yeah I know its the same as the red one but we need to sell it to the blue people and they don’t like red”

They’ll work just as good.

iainc

^^^ yes, think that sums it up 😀

fasthaggis

You have to admit though,RACE MATRIX sounds awesome.
    Film trailer voice}}”RACE MATRIX ,go faster,brake later,be that rider you always knew you could be” {{ film trailer voice. 😉

iainc

^^^^ yeah, that’s why I ordered them 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Because a roadie probably looks for something specific to their type of brake.
    Try reversing the situation, would you buy road disc brake pads for your MTB disc brakes?

iainc

bigyinn – exactly, the pads that they send to both ‘customers’ are exactly the same, same original labelling when they arrive etc….web descriptions suggest they are something different though..

D0NK

would you buy road disc brake pads for your MTB disc brakes?

I’m having difficulty seeing what the difference could possibly be.

bigyinn
    Free Member

There is none, why would there be? That was kinda my point, its about marketing.

D0NK

poe’s law 🙂

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I was just glad to discover that my TRP HY-RD’s take the same Shimano pads the Shimanos on my FS and the Tektros on my HT… so Superstar Kevlar all round!

iainc

^^^^ indeed – part of the reply I got :

Yes Iain lots of brakes share the same pads it would be impossible to list them. Shimano for eg even supply pads for Tektro brakes!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disc pads and labelling across road/mtb…’ is closed to new replies.