• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Disc brake pads – something other than superstar or avid?
  • james
    Free Member

I’ve used superstar sintered/organic pads lots and while I’m happy with them for £5-6/pair, I know genuine avids for eg feel to work better (and bed in quicker) but at about £14/pair (if buying 4 pairs) the price jump is pretty big

What are other pads out there like in terms of the usual price/power/feel/durability/bed in period/heat build up etc etc

What are these like for eg:

Discobrakes
    Clarks
    Fibrax
    Goodridge
    Brake Authority
    Nukeproof
    EBC
    A2Z
    Swisstop

Is it worth spending more than avid even?

coatesy
    Free Member

Sell a lot of A2Z with no problems at all, not heard of any problems either. Work perfectly in my Hopes too.Actually started selling them because of the cost of genuine Avids.

james
    Free Member

google shopping only brings up A2Z for avid elixir for £12.95, CRC have avid pads for £13.99. Any idea where I might find them for less?

R.lepecha

Disco pads bed in quick I find in most brakes, not sure on the avid ones. They last a little less time than the stock pads in Shimanos and Tektro’s though but More power and feel.

Del

discos seem fine most of the year, but come winter wetness, the local trails with specially formulated grinding paste seem to chew through them. moving onto clarks, and these seem to hold up well, and seem to perform as well as OEM ( hayes FWIW ).

james
    Free Member

Any idea which compound those disco pads are?

coatesy
    Free Member

You could try us at Sunset (02920371321), got standard and sintered compounds for juicy and elixir, though not totally sure of the price as i’m now at home.

R.lepecha

The disco compound I use are the semi-metalic(medium?) so there bound to last less time in the wet muddy winter. Sintered should last longer though.

MSP

Goodridge sintered for longevity and performance.
    EBC red compound for performance and surprisingly good longevity (I bought them first for a trip to morzine but now use them all the time because they actually last better than most organic pads).

They are the best pads I have found, I wouldn’t use anything else anymore, or even try anything else unless I was hearing lots and lots of good things.
    Price is not my prime consideration for brake pads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake pads – something other than superstar or avid?’ is closed to new replies.