Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dirt Trax/Cock Hill DH in Todmorden
  • grum
    Free Member

As seen in STW magazine. Anyone go to the open day?

The dark red track is awesome fun and the freeride track is absolutely bonkers! It’s all really well constructed and everyone was very friendly. Hopefully they will succeed in their aim to build more tracks and sort out some uplift – it could really take off if so I reckon. Going to try and get involved in some digging down there as well. Amazing to have a facility like this just down the road.

The dark red has lots of nice little drops/rock gardens and small doubles – and an optional gap jump that’s not actually too terrifying. 🙂

Freeride track has what looked to me like huge gaps and drops – a drop off north shore which looked at least 10-12 foot to where you would land, and a gap of at least 15ft over a little stream. Not sure I will ever grow the balls to ride it but it looked very well put together.

Amazing to see how many locals have got DH bikes! Saw loads of them heading off up there on our way back.

http://dirt-trax.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/Cockhillmtb

grum
    Free Member

Nobody?

Sancho
    Free Member

wrong forum, but yeah, looks mint, its on my to do list, when I get back fron Chatel, but first stop is Esholt

grum
    Free Member

Wrong forum? Didn’t know about Esholt though – will have to check that out, thanks.

Sancho
    Free Member

people on this site dont ride this kind of stuff, talking about freeride and dh in the same thread will have them worried that you are from pinkbike, plus someone will probably start asking if you can ride it on a fixie rigid 29 or some other lame questions.

Sancho
    Free Member

http://vimeo.com/73330277#
    esholt isnt big or that long, but its got a lot of fun in it

ComradeD
    Free Member

I’ll hopefully be checking it out in the future. I used to live down the road in Cornholme and i always wondered if there was any trails up in those woods.

Amazing what they’ve done with it considering it’s only a small area.

nigew
    Free Member

The lads involved have done an excellent job and everbody was very friendly.
    Doubt ill be attempting the gap on the freeride either but The Dark Red is great.
    What were you riding Grum?
    I was mincing on an Orange 224 😆

grum
    Free Member

I was mincing on a Specialized Pitch with 36 Vans and a coil shock. 🙂

We were only around for a couple of hours on sat as I had other stuff on but I’ll definitely be back.

Cheers Sancho I know what you mean. Video of Esholt looks good.

nigew
    Free Member

The group of friends I went with are all keen to go again they enjoyed it that much, possibly this Saturday!

steel4real
    Free Member

Was there on sunday 🙂

A lot of fun – a fair few there on AM type bikes and a few on trail bikes. The red is fun for all, a trail bike would be fine, a friend of mine was riding her Five and loved it.

The Freeride is off the scale for me and most places in the UK I reckon it’s more difficult than any double black diamond or even a few ‘pro’ lines at Whistler ! but there were plenty of folk pinning it all on Sunday !!

The push up is a bit of a slog, very slippy and muddy in places, hopefully any plans for ongoing improvements & expansion will see that change ?

Have had a look at Esholt on my trail bike, plan to go back with the FR/play rig sometime though 🙂

steel4real
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Been following progress on facebook for a while. So there is fun stuff to ride on a trail bike that won’t kill me? Might have to have a look next time I’m passing…

grum
    Free Member

Yeah I’d happily ride the dark red on any decent mountain bike. I’d agree about the push up path. They did say there are plans to sort out the forest road and do uplift but I don’t know when. Not sure how you would get a road in to the top though.

DBW – it’s only open at weekends at the mo and it’s £7 per day to ride there. Sort of sounds a lot to ride one trail but well worth it IMO, and something worth supporting.

steel4real
    Free Member

Farmer John’s is £7 for a day – although he’s got more variety of features and multiple rooty lines at the bottom.
    I’m hoping this is just the start for Cockhill and that they expand the tracks for options, maybe with more stuff in between the Red & Freeride in technicality.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

STW gnar meet anyone? Bit more convenient than Antur Stiniog.

grum
    Free Member

I’m hoping this is just the start for Cockhill and that they expand the tracks for options, maybe with more stuff in between the Red & Freeride in technicality.

They’re certainly planning to keep building but they said they’re a bit skint at the moment. Shame they didn’t manage to open in time for summer as I imagine that would have got them a load of income.

I’d agree it would be good to have something in between the red and freeride tracks.

DBW – I’d be up for that. Also, aren’t you in Halifax – fancy showing me round some trails there? Just moved to Hebden but not ventured down your end of the valley yet.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

S4R, Grum, DBW…. oy! wait for me, I wanna go too. 😀

MadPierre

Wondering why the hell you’ve heard of Todmorden before? It’s because that’s where Singletrack Magazine is based. Singletrack…Cockhill…I shall resist.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/cockhill-bike-park-opens-its-doors.html

wl
    Free Member

Sounds good – how do you reach it from Hebden side of Tod? And can you pedal up or is it a push? Ta.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

grum – correct. I’d be up for a guided tour sometime. October sometime?

grum
    Free Member

That would be great, cheers. Yup I think the 5th is free for me at the moment – any good?

wl – it’s actually Portsmouth/Cornholme – if you go up Carr Road you will see the banner on the gate. You can cycle up the road then the fire road but the last bit is a push up that you’d be struggling to ride much of really.

pinkash
    Free Member

Dirt-trax ltd More information on their website here. Everyone seemed to enjoy it at the weekend, had a great response and feedback was positive. Push up a bit hard at top section of the red but everyone said it was worth it. More tracks planned for future, just need time and finance.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dirt Trax/Cock Hill DH in Todmorden’ is closed to new replies.