Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Did anyone race BMX "back in the day".?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I did, mid to late 80’s for Tamworth crusaders. Yea baby.! At first on a falcon pro then on a mongoose. Great times. 😀

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep, with the Warminster Wizards 🙂

I had a 531 Curtis (yes the same ones making MTB frames today) and some Flite cranks, I was a lucky boy. 😆

Sadly the BMX track got flattened by the council some years ago now.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ours got flattened to make way for the bypass about 15 years ago but there are plans and cash for a new one. Don’t think I’ll look as cool this time round.

SidewaysTim

Yep, used to race at Astbury, then Congleton. More recently (actually 15 years ago!) at Crewe, Chorley, Alvaston and Bruntwood.

I keep kidding myself that I’ll take my newly built PK Ripper over to Crewe for a blast – having seen it now though, I’m not too sure…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4gs6C5bix0&feature=related[/video]

superfli
    Free Member

Yes a little, but I was pretty cr*p! Raced at Love Lane in Petersfield.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Raced locally and a few inter regionals.And with 3 national standard tracks and 3 mint play/pump tracks within spitting distance the time has come to unleash my awesomeness upon the bmx world once again….aged 38.Luckily i never really stopped riding kids bikes.
    So I’ll be an SS mtb endurance riding,cx racing, bmx’er!?!?At least I’m covering my bases.
    First straight at crewe gives me the willies tho 😐

matthew_h
    Free Member

In Carlisle where I grew up it was much more about freestyle than racing with us hosting BMX Beat etc. Meant we all used to ride ramps and stuff rather than track although there was a track at Hammond’s Pond which may or may not still be there. I know Penrith track was flattened a few years back.

Wish we had done more racing as I reckon I’d be a lot faster on the mountain bike if I had grown up racing BMX. Kickturns aren’t quite as useful on the average trail

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did a bit around South Yorkshire way back when…

Damn I feel old now!

dunsapie
    Free Member

Raced with Banbury X-ups back in the mid ’80s. Started off with a Raleigh Burner then DP Delta II then onto a Haro Group 1 RS1.
    Still got the Haro, currently rebuilding the wheels.
    Has original Shimano DX pedals, Sugino 180mm cranks, GT hubs, SR stem from my first Burner, Araya aero rims Uni pro 14 seat

Junkyard
    Free Member

hell yes
    Chorley track – knew John Lee Raleigh sponsored whose dad owned the land it was built on. Raced at Three sisters as well and some other stuff but only average
    My mates won national comps for 3 years younger than me was fast and absolutely fearless .. I was neither.
    met Andy Ruffell of MOJO fame a few times he was pretty good sort of Danny mac of his day
    Supergoose – the posh chrom mongoose with drilled wheels etc. nice geometry and long mates were mainly Aero burner fans

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yup, 80/82 around the north west, chorley, 3 sisters, and a few others

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Yes. And still do when my legs can hold up…

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i was in races quite a few times with Mr ruffell and John lee back in the day 🙂

dunsapie
    Free Member

Some of the tracks I raced at;
    Banbury, Deddington, Stanlake arena, Leamington, Cheltnam, malvern, Pontins at Morecombe, High Wycombe, Chelmsley Wood, Cocksmoor and other Birmingham tracks, Hemel Hempstead.
    Good times.
    Plenty of ‘old skool’ stuff here http://www.bmxtalk.com/ and http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=8.0

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

dunsapie

I raced at Chelmsley wood in about 87 and came first, can’t remember what class off the top of my head. My mom still has the trophy on the side board to this day.

andycs

Raced loads at the original Bradford track in the NBMXA NE Region about 84-86 ish. British Champs at Derby a couple of times. Had some great laughs and wish I’d never stopped when women and beer came along!!

SidewaysTim

Did anyone else make it to the Redditch International? Harry Leary,Greg Esser, Team Kuwahara and racing in my age group was Jason Jensen – he won by about half a track.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Missed it first time round but have been known to potter round Crewe as my lad raced last year- my mate is racing old school this year and loving it!

juiced
    Free Member

Did a few races and was a member of Hillingdon Hawks. Still remember those days.Bike had a one peice plastic saddle, uni?? graphite x pedals, red rims, dice dustcaps, ame grips, and tioga tyres.frame was black. Had a Full facer with a large JT racing sticker on it!

whytetrash

Any of you guys fancy another go? got one opening soon in Rhyl I’m itching to get on it…just means another bike 😀

jp-t853

Yes I just sold my 1984 MRD a couple of weeks ago 🙁

I used to race at Keswick in local & regional races and also Penrith track and a couple of Nationals at Lowca. You made the transition from boy to man when you jumped the double whoops at Lowca, you could drive a bus through the middle or so it seemed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i tried recently on my mates son’s bike at a local track. It was fun then i did a biggish jump and did a table top [ as in the BMX air stylee of the day bike horizontal in air front wheel at 90 degrees etc] was going great then I realised i had no idea whatsoever on how to land this or even attempt it . Binned bike so i can still crash well 🙄
    I have to say it was lots of fun

scruff
    Free Member

I raced NBMXA West Mids regionals and other local stuff. Main Tracks were Wordsley, Brum Wheels, Chelmsley Wood, Redditch, Derby. Had a local track in Cheslyn Hay which was sh1t, one in Norton Canes, a few indoors at Hilton Park and Bingley Hall.
    Once I turned teenager age I didnt want all the hassle of race meets so rode dirtjumps and freestyle for a year then just stopped to ride my skateboard. Ended up 13th overall in last year of racing which isnt too bad, my folks have still got some trophys.
    Big DJ scene locally so hopefully my kids will get into it in a few years.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Raced various places for 6 or so years in the early to mid eighties, however I was always crap though. Raced mainly Petersfield (local track), Gosport, Southampton (the one next to the old dunlop factory, its now west quay shopping centre), Bournemouth and Farnham.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Sideways Tim, never made it to the Redditch International, but brother did and I’ve still got a pad floating about with the signatures on Leary etc. Also met and got jumped over by Stu Thomson for the local news on one of his first visits over here.

Brother raced for CW team as well as a semi-pro and did all the Kelloggs TV races too. Crashed in most as well…………..

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

so who are you all then?
    i “used to be” Tony Law from Wigan, race number (1008) raced 15’s/16’s in 1980/82 … any of you in my area or age group?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

My 3 kids are all well into it. Which is great but is costing me a small fortune….

druidh
    Free Member

Dasa(Dagmara Polakova) here at The Bike Chain was pretty handy on a BMX.

* cough *

cullen-bay
    Free Member

[tanoy] Martinxyz to the forum. [/tanoy]

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Yep – Raced with the Falkirk Club back about 1982-1984/5. Still have all the trophies and medals up in the parent loft.

Had a Kuwahara Rhino 3 frame with Tange ARX forks, Tufneck Stem, ACS Z rims plus Skyways, CW Pro bars,DC MX1000 brakes, GT laidback post, Sugino running gear

I sold the frame and forks to a BMX Collector (as it was a very rare frame – Kuwahara & Tange alliance) in Anchorage, Alaska for nearly £300. All the rest of the past went to other variosu places.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Early to late Eighties for me, Bradford Bandits, Pro Burner and a PK Ripper

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart- were you with Dronfield Demons? They had their own painted up yellow and blue team coach, 52 seater

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Anyone on here race at the Greyhound Stadium in Derby in the 80’s? That used to be a great place!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Entered 2 races in Southport on my cousins unbranded, paint brush painted orange BMX bike, won both.

Won by nipping into the inside line of the 1st corner onto the very inside that was bermed enough to flick me round whilst everyone else show boated the top of the berm. Fools.

takisawa2

Saturday mornings, train from Lichfield to Duddeston, up the road to Birmingham Wheels. Remember the ropey old quarterpipe. Euro Championships (in 83/84 I think), scorching hot day. Meeting Andy Ruffell & Tim March really made my day. Andy Ruffel was a top bloke.

geoffcol
    Free Member

lawmanmx i know you i am younger but raced at same meets as you
    chorley,3 sisters ect
    i had a torker aswell as you

loddrik
    Free Member

Used to go to Kirkby BMX track now and again, I was pretty quick but always crashed so never actually won a race when I should have.

Had a Falcon Pro Omega which was bloody light compared to many others at the time.

Bream
    Free Member

Yep, I raced BMX at the Greyhound Stadium in the early 80’s, must have been about 82. Rode a simple burner, nothing flash as my parents were skint, but god I loved it. Raced a couple of years before I traded the burner for a road bike and then moved over to that full time.

scruff
    Free Member

I rode Derby aswell around then. I remember Geth Shooter and Sid Salisbury clearing the first doubles which were HUUUUUGE.

Rickos
    Free Member

I raced at Teesside Airport and Northallerton just doing summer series races. As with many of you, I was crap! Raced against Jonny Alexander at Northallerton who I think is now doing some BMX racing magazine thing, so he’s obviously still well into it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Did anyone race BMX "back in the day".?’ is closed to new replies.