Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dent in tubeless rim – can't get it to seal
  • failedengineer

I put a small dent in my rear WTB tubeless rim a couple of weeks ago and in spite of my best efforts (with an adjustable spanner) cannot get it to seal again. Any tips? It leaks very slowly but won’t last a full ride. If I press on the tyre above the straightened dent it leaks more. Is the rim u/s?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I can’t find his address anywhere, but yes – he may be able to help

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stick an inner tube in it. Sorted. 🙂

failedengineer

Yeah, I did that. However, I’d like to remain tubeless, please.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Have you tried pulling the dent out with an adjustable spanner? I’ve done it loads of times when running tubeless without a problem. If you do it right then you can barely tell it was dented.

clanton
    Free Member

+1 for straightening it

warpcow
    Free Member

Happened to my arch ex: a proper little dent that wouldn’t bend out in the sidewall. In the end, after much shaking and extra Stan’s fluid it sealed. I suspect it wouldn’t have worked if it was much bigger though, so you could be screwed.

Northwind

I have a flow ex that won’t reliably seal, it makes me sad but I’ve given up on it. The rim lip’s more or less back to straight but there’s a decent dent in the bed.

failedengineer

Yes, I’ve pulled it out with an adjustable. I think the bead (bed?) is slightly deformed. I didn’t realise they were so sensitive to dents. Oh well, my foray into new technology hasn’t gone well. Tubeless rim lasted 3 rides, dropper post removed after 2. Only 2 x 10 and clutch rear mech to go …. However, I am liking the wider bars and the 29er-ness. Makes the trail come alive for me.

joespencer33
    Free Member

I got mine pulled out then tapped out with a a hammer and a little steel block that blacksmiths use (not sure of the name)
    Be careful not to snap the bead off. Also try a new tyre as the bead will be tighter

mintimperial

I’ve straightened out three pretty hefty dents in one tubeless rim with a bit of carefull adjustable spannering, and it still seals just fine. But I know other people who’ve not been able to fix dents in the same make and model of rim. I think it’s just luck of the draw, sometimes you can fix ’em, sometimes you can’t.

Maybe get a shop to look at it? I’m sure you’re mechanically competent and all, but sometimes having a bit more experience of something helps, and you did say tubeless is new technology for you… 😉

mtbfix

You don’t mention what tyre you are using, but maybe try a regular folding tyre. The softer bead may be more likely to conform to the irregular rim bead, thereby allowing the seal to take. That is what I have on my dented AC rim and I have left the dents alone on it.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Not worth the stress just stick in a tube, I had the same problem in the end I had a compressor with over 100psi after trying to straighten the rim.

The problem with tubeless from my perspective is that because you can get away with less pressure and no snakebites the rims get damaged.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dent in tubeless rim – can't get it to seal’ is closed to new replies.