Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Denmark-cycle touring with the family-must do's
  • mugsys_m8

Hi,

We’re* going to Denmark cycle touring for 3 weeks next week with our children who are 4 1/2 and 2. Has anyone been cycle touring there? We have ideas, but if you’ve been, what do you think the must do’s are in your opinion? What were the best and worst bits for you?

Any info and good stories to hear welcome and appreciated.

Thanks all.
    * not taking the MIL…..

ransos
    Free Member

Not been touring there, but which part of Denmark? Fanoe (small island off Elsbjerg in Jutland) is well worth a visit for the lovely beaches – if you’re taking the Harwich ferry it’s on your doorstep. Legoland would also be an obvious choice for the kids, again very handy location from the ferry port.

mugsys_m8

Legoland is on the list. Oh yes! Thinking of doing more round the islands than up along the west.

paulevans
    Free Member

If you can make it up to Skagen, it’s beautiful up there at the northern tip. Worth going to see the two seas colliding with one another!

The whole place is just lovely, used to go there a lot when i was a kid. We’d stay in Juelsminde on the east coast of the mainland.

juan
    Free Member

Well you should take the MIL. Plenty of canals. Plus as benoit said : avec les vieux il s faut plus de cailloux, ça a les os poreux les vieux ça flotte. 😉

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

If you’re going via Esbjerg I’d recommend the aquarium there. Really nicely done.

The Danes do great cyclepaths, particularly into cities. The path into Odense was especially memorable – traffic free and green all the way into the middle of the city.

Some terrific theme parks in Denmark too – not just the well known ones like Legoland and Tivoli in Copenhagen. Places like Farup Sommerland and Djurs Sommerland are both very family friendly and a pleasure to visit (and worth the schlep to get to).

Oh and the “lake district” area is lovely – all around Silkeborg is a winner.

I have some cycling maps if you’re interested – PM in profile

TM

p.s. almost forgot the tram museum near Jystrup if your little ones like trains etc. The access is by tram from a car park in the woods – brilliant fun 🙂

mugsys_m8

Thanks all.

The cyclepaths are the main reason we’re going. Having toured with the two children in northern Brittany last year and Croatia the year before that with just the one child back then.

This year however Mini Mugsy will be on his bike and follow-me attachement as required rather than in the trailer so we’re after traffic free routes.

Looking forward to it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve done the Danish section of the North Sea Cycle Route and various other bits but it sounds like you’re not really heading in that direction. Where do you intend to start from?

Like someone else mentioned Fanø is worth a visit, there’s a great pancake place and you can cycle along the beach.

There’s a route that heads East from the west coast and goes across a few islands before ending up in Zealand. I’m sure I first read about it here, will see if I can find a link.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Here is a few links for you about cycling in Denmark

http://www.cyclistic.dk/en/

Link to shop selling maps for all the official signposted routes in Denmark
    http://shop.dcf.dk/Default.aspx?cid=166

If you want to avoid traffic, i would actually recommend the route up the west coast as most of it is on really good paths, and the scenery is quite varied. and lots of good campsites all the way.

The east coast is also very nice but does not have the same long stretches of paths as you find on the west coast, it will mostly be on smaller roads.
    If you tell me where you will be starting from i will gladly give you some more specific places to ride (if in Jutland)

mick_r

We did a car road trip to scope out ideas for a family tour.

Pretty much what everyone else has said is spot on. We would probably do Skagen in the north as a bike tour with the kids, and there is a bit of mtb in the Silkeborg area.

Lots of campsites had inflatable pillow bouncy things which were a big hit with the kids (make sure they wear socks – bare feet end in blisters very quickly!)

Lovely place (but rather flat if you love mountains) and fantastic, honest, friendly people – unlocked bikes everywhere in Silkeborg.

Mikkel
    Free Member

i forgot to mention that i am from the west coast of Denmark, so know the area well 🙂

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Haven’t had a little Gregory in years…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Denmark-cycle touring with the family-must do's’ is closed to new replies.