Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Demon Frameworks
  • jonnyboy666
    Free Member

thought you guys may be interested in this, i’m usually a poster over on Retrobike but i recently had a new frame built, well, i actually haven’t picked it up yet but i have some pics, it’s probably easier to just link to retrobike so i’ll do that.

it’s a hardtail, designed for 100mm fork, will be built with royce/hope/xtr/thomson etc, should be pretty nice when done.

this thread has the story of my choices for the build and how i came to choose Tom to build it but the pictures are from page 6 onwards although there are some examples of his work earlier on in the thread

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150679&highlight=

😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

That is going to be awesome! How much, if you don’t mind me asking?

andyl
    Free Member

I was trying to think of the company from Bespoked that did the copper coating the other day and as soon as you said Demon I thought ‘bingo’.

Amazing framebuilding. Their win at Bespoked was well deserved.

sbob
    Free Member

Don’t blame you for wanting to show that off!
    Enjoy! 😀

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

Demon frameworks isn’t a “they” it’s a “him”, Tom does it all himself except the finishes, although he does finish the copper once back from the platers depending on the level of polish you want which i think is awesome, due respect to alot of other builders but it’s not always the guy whose name is on the bike that builds it, and that’s not always a bad thing but i wanted a frame built by someone who understands bikes but also has the artistic flair to create something truly different which i think he has done.

i like the sort of old school look of the lug, but with the cnc chainstay and drop outs with square rear end, this is not gonna be the lightest bike in the world but then i’m not particularly light myself so having some extra metal is no bad thing!

i let Tom know the geometry i wanted and after that i said do what ever you want, although i did give him guidelines as to what the bike would be used for so he’d know how strong/light the frame needed to be.

i’d rather not discuss the price if you don’t mind, also custom frame prices can be all over the place depending what you done.

this bike will be built next week, i’m currently in wales riding coed y brenin so i can’t pick it up till tuesday after i have finished work, then i’ll build it and it will be at the NEC show on Tom’s stand from friday

p.s Tom won at the north american handmade bicycle show aswel, he only took one bike!

stuarty
    Free Member

Looks nice so far
    Cant wait to see the finished bike dirty
    🙂
    Would also like to have seen aged copper finish

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow! That truly is a thing of beauty 😛

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

thanks for the positive comments 😀

here’s a link to his website gallery

i know it’s road bikes and track bikes but check out the track bike half way down, it has the aged copper effect, i like it but i’d be lying if i said i didn’t prefer shiny finishes!!

http://www.demonframeworks.com/gallery/

avdave2

That’s very nice. I had a Roberts White Spider made back in 1988, you can’t beat having a frame made from scratch to your exact specification. It’s utterly irrational and you could buy a fantastic bike for the price of a frame but if you can afford to do it why not. I keep thinking maybe I’ll go back to a custom frame for my 50th.

captaindanger

Hsaw him at bespoked too. Stunning. I’ve always thought there was a market for copper coloured bikes like that, never actually try out my ideas though.

Look at feather cycles too.

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

if you like Feather bikes aswel as custom stuff then there is a book (it’s like internet but on paper!) out called “made in england” which is part written by feather and it’s all about custom frame builders in the UK, i think Demon, Roberts, Dave Yates, Feather, and a few others are all featured, the have a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/madeinenglandbook

i have ordered it as i want as much info on my bike as possible as a sort of history.

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

hey guys, got some proper pics done (thanks to a legend called Gus) thought you might like to see them

atlaz
    Free Member

I like what you’ve done but… why the layback on a custom frame?

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

well the geometry was based on another build i have which i run a layback post on and i like the feel and position of that bike. that bike i bought in the 17″ but i could ride either the 17 or the 19 in that model, there was a 20mm difference in the top tube and out of the two sizes i preferred the 17 so i ran a layback post and a little longer stem than i would of liked, that said the handling on that bike was great which is why i used that geometry but with a 10mm longer toptube meaning i could then run the stem length i wanted but i was happy with the rear end set so decided to keep it the same.

also i prefer the look but if it doesn’t feel quite right i’ll pop in an inline.

unfortunately i have had the bike 10 days and not ridden it yet! other than around my street, i built it and took it straight to the Cycleshow for the Demon stand then it went for it’s photoshoot and i only got it back yesterday afternoon and it has been raining since and i want it’s first proper ride to be on a better weather day, not because i don’t want to get it dirty but i’d hate to be grumpy about the weather and then not concentrate on the bike and the ride.

messiah
    Free Member

Awesome.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Stunning lug work!

Lovely bike, did you not think about getting the forks coloured to match?

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

yeah i did go a bit mad on spec and bling, but i figured i wouldn’t be doing this again for a long time, my main bike has been my main bike for 5 years, it’s now my winter bike as the plan was to sell the old winter bike! so this bike has many miles ahead of it.

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

i sort of did think about matching the forks but these lowers can not be copper plated, they’d fizz away to nothing so i’d have to look at a copper finish looking paint, they are available but getting a match i think would be very hard, also it would mean ripping apart a new fork and then having to re-bush it straight away as you paint the fork with the bushes in then replace them, so extra expense and hassle, i had a choice on this model of black or white and i’m really bored of the bike trades obsession with black, although i am not a fixie fan atleast they are bringing interesting colour schemes back with out the boring graphic designed look that most major brands seem to have at the moment.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Demon Frameworks’ is closed to new replies.