Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Decathlon Dropper Seatpost 31.6 £29.99
  • nicksar
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends how long it lasts 😉

nicksar
    Free Member

worth a punt at £30

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep cheap, lever only which is annoying and looks like it’s pull up so not easy to bodge to a remote and only 100mm. So if that’s what you’re after then £30 isn’t bad (if it doesn’t fail overly frequently)

nicksar
    Free Member

“..it’s £50 cheaper than any other dropper we’ve tested and more functionally sound than most several times it’s price…..a total bargain” Rated 4.5/5 by What Mountain Bike? (July 2015)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, doesn’t tick enough boxes for me still even with a glowing write up from the dullest mountain bike mag in the world. In terms of function not having a remote is huge.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never felt the need for a remote, though I am more of a “drop for a descent then back up for the rest” of it rather than “drop for 2 seconds to max out this berm then back up to accelerate past my mates for the next 3 ” rider…

cookeaa

I reckon you could bodge a cable remote of some sort for that

bigjim

that’s very very tempting to replace my joplin that now has about 30mm drop.

I reckon you could bodge a cable remote of some sort for that

Joplin remote conversion kit might work perhaps?

Harry_the_Spider

Has anyone actually tried one?

I’m interested in any real life long term experiences as :-

a) I’d use it for long downhills, not pop it up and constantly. So the lack of a remote isn’t an issue.
    b) I’m tighter than a shark’s arse. £30 appeals more than £200.
    c) If it is a simple design is it less likely to go KA-BOING and eject its guts right up your kazoo?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one, I’ll see how it is. I’ve never owned a dropper before so I won’t be able to tell you how it compares, but I’ll be able to tell you if it works or not. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    c) If it is a simple design is it less likely to go KA-BOING and eject its guts right up your kazoo?

Has any post ever done this? Saddle might just get in the way.

nickwatson
    Free Member

The accompanying video is quite special!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Almost erotic ……

parkey
    Free Member

Hypnotoad – would be interested to know how heavy it is and what your first impressions are?
    Cheers

parkey
    Free Member

Just found this full WMB review on another forum. Seems a fairly unbiased review (for once).

B’Twin 100mm dropper £55
    4,5 out of 5
    This dropper post from Decathlon only comes in 31.6mm diameter, drop is only 100mm and the last 20mm takes a good thump to get. However it’s £50 cheaper than any other dropper we’ve tested and more functionally sound than most several times it’s price. At 665g it’s not a bad weight and the side bolted lay back saddle clamp is secure and easy to use. The under the saddle ‘rodeo grab’ release lever means no cable rub or routing to worry about and I’ve it’s suprisingly easy to use on the trail. The action has stayed smooth, consistent and wobble free, making it a total bargain.

So my few brain cells have worked out its about 100g heavier than a reverb but your wallet will remain £150 fatter. Usually if you buy cheap you buy twice, but £30 is probably worth a chance.

warpcow
    Free Member

Written this elsewhere before: looks like the one that has also been sold under the the names H-Lift and XLC Pro. I had an XLC Pro with remote and when it worked it was great (smooth and free from play as above review states), but each one I had failed within 6 months in the same way; sagging into its travel and not reaching full extension. It’s a fully sealed cartridge inside, so no way to fix it. After a couple of warranty replacements I gave up on it. The saddle clamp was also pretty poor at actually keeping the saddle in place without massively overtightening.

I’m not 100% it’s the same post, but I’m 99.99%.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had an XLC too, was good for a while but the remote lever didn’t pull enough cable so you had to have it set right on its limited so it either sagged while you rode or wouldn’t stay down. Last time I looked it’d been removed from their site.

andermt
    Free Member

Ordered one for my lads (my second) bike so will see what it’s like when it arrives.

faustus

I’ve taken a punt as I only plan to fit it for away days, so it should last a while. No need for a dropper on my local trails. It’s my first dropper so if I love it I’ll invest in something better. It’s £15 cheaper than the non-drop thomson it’ll sometimes replace, so don’t think I can go too far wrong!

muddyground
    Free Member

If it lasts six months, then that’s four longer than an OKLO from CRC.

larkim
    Free Member

Only seems to have availability in store in Surrey Quays, out of stock online and throughout the rest of the stores it seems.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s my first dropper so if I love it I’ll invest in something better.

Only thing to note on that is without the remote you’re missing quite a lot of what (for me and others I know) the real big benefits are – the ability to pop it up and down at short notice, without stopping as you go along trails that have ups and down mixed in.

russyh
    Free Member

Ordered one for the wifes bike. If anyone’s arse is goign to break it, it will be hers!

scuttler

Pretty sure I saw some of these in Stockport earlier in the week. Don’t take my word for it though.

dknwhy

Decathlon warranty is really good so even if it only lasts 6 months, they’ll swap it for you.
    I’d get one if I didn’t have a reverb. I’ve sent the link to my mate to tempt him!

Stevet1
    Free Member

for anyone that knew him before he was beaten to death with a budget dropper post, russyh’s funeral will be next Monday, no flowers please.

phildb
    Free Member

Picked mine up from Decathlon today. It seems fairly sturdy and the motion is fluid through the full range but due to recently becoming a parent I’ve not had a chance to test it out in anger yet. I’m hoping to sneak out for an hour or two this weekend so will report back if I can.

demonracer

Are these 350mm?

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Phildb what’s the overall length when extended please as I have ordered one but couldn’t find length anywhere?

phildb
    Free Member

I didn’t measure it but the packaging says 400mm fully extended which seems about right.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Thanks for the info 350 might of been too short for me!

russyh
    Free Member

Wife’s arrived in the post today, fitted straight away. The quality is great for the cash and the lever, motion seems excellent, sadly the wife has a tiny frame and I can’t get the post into the frame enough so it looks like I might have to send it back or sell it. May just keep it on the shelf mind.

larkim
    Free Member

sadly the wife has a tiny frame and I can’t get the post into the frame enough

I just wish I had a childish mind…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

he or she is literally asking for that one larkim 😉 😳

ninfan
    Free Member

Their mail order isn’t the slickest/quickest operation is it?

Ordered 14th, looks like its been physically posted today.

stumpy01

ninfan – Member

Their mail order isn’t the slickest/quickest operation is it?

Ordered 14th, looks like its been physically posted today.

Must be dependant on what you are ordering, because I ordered a Camelbak Rogue from Decathlon a week or two ago & it was delivered the next morning.

parkey
    Free Member

Ordered mine on Friday, it was here the next day. The quality is not Rockshox or Thomson, it has that cast budget look around the seat clamp. The lever looks a bit weird until you mount the saddle but it then blends in a bit. The action is more sudden than the damping on a Lev or Reverb. You also need to push down quite a bit with your nads to get the post to drop (fine by me, I already have kids). All that aside, it does what it’s supposed to, and despite looking like you’re fiddling with your undercarriage; for £30 it seems amazing value and if it lasts a year it will be worth it.

funkrodent

russyh – Member
    Wife’s arrived in the post today, fitted straight away. The quality is great for the cash and the lever, motion seems excellent, sadly the wife has a tiny frame and I can’t get the post into the frame enough so it looks like I might have to send it back or sell it. May just keep it on the shelf mind.

Noooo! Don’t send it back! I missed out on one of these and desparately need a cheap dropper for my build. The missus has already got wind of recent expenditure and the dog house looms. I’ll happily pay retail and cover the cost of postage. Cheers

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Got one this week and first ride last night. It’s mostly XC round my way so don’t really need a dropper for regular riding but thought worth a punt for under £30, so nothing to benchmark it against.
    Pretty impressed, it’s not light but certainly sturdy and no slop at all – it requires a firm push down but returns pretty smoothly.
    Will just have to see how long it lasts, but so far pretty chuffed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Decathlon Dropper Seatpost 31.6 £29.99’ is closed to new replies.