Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DE blades
  • JonBoy
    Free Member

I need to buy some new blades. I’m using astra blades at the moment. What would you guys suggest?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Blades vary from person to person, so I’d probbaly be looking at a mixed pack

JonBoy
    Free Member

That’s a good idea. I hear feathers are scary sharp.

griptool
    Free Member

God this is so singletrack world – pfft, however,
    I’m on Gillette 7 o’clock yellows atm really loving it in my youngest (?) razor – a 1972 Long Handle Black Beauty.

Might break out an Aristocrat next, as a weekend treat 😀

bigblackshed

Buy a mixed sample pack off eBay. Couple of pound to find the ones you don’t like.

I tried various blades. Liked the Astra Greens (platinum coated). But then moved over to Feathers when I got more proficient. Now everything else feels dull or blunt.

davidrussell
    Free Member

I’ve just shaved with a feather blade and wouldn’t go back to anything else tbh. The feather has a reputation but honestly I think they are leagues ahead of other blades. They really aren’t that scary!

ymmv of course. I hated shark blades and gilette yellows for example. The only blade j binned mid shave was the treet platinum though. Awful!

as others said a sample pack is a good shout. I got 100 feathers for about 18 quid on ebay from thailamps I think , best price around. Email me your address and I’ll pop a couple your way if you want.

cheers

JonBoy
    Free Member

David. Email sent. Thanks, that’s really good of you.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

My favourites are:

Personna platinum. Very forgiving and can achieve a good close shave for regular work days. Very good for a quicker than normal shave if you are running late of a morning.

Feathers. As David suggests not as scary as peple suggest just let the weight of the razor do the work and don’t apply any pressure. Very close shave but loose the sharpness after two shaves.

Gillette 7 o clock Yellow. My favourite all rounder. Fairly aggressive but you can get as close a shave as feather but a bit more forgiving if you are half asleep. I get 4 good shaves from a blade.

The other item I would recommend is Proraso pre shave cream. It’s excellent stuff and really reduces irritation.

peterfile
    Free Member

As above, get a mixed pack and then realise how good feathers are!

I’ve not found anything that comes close. I tend to use 2 blades a week as they are useless once blunted slightly, but at the price it’s not an issue at all.

freddyg
    Free Member

Depends on which razor I’m using. Feathers in my Merkur and 7 o’clock yellow in my old Gilette Tech.

I found this out by purchasing a bundle and using them all – some were dreadful! (Treet and Shark to name two)

llama

My preference is Shark Super Chrome, sometimes 7 o’clock yellow for a change. I don’t mind Derby’s.

Feathers either take half my face off, or nothing at all, without much in the middle. Lords, Personna, Astra – threw them all away after 1 go.

bigblackshed

One thing threads about blades shows me is, everyone is different. It’s all personal. No good recommending anything, you just have to try lots to find what you like.

freddyg
    Free Member

…you just have to try lots to find what you like

There is your answer ^

davidrussell
    Free Member

The other item I would recommend is Proraso pre shave cream. It’s excellent stuff and really reduces irritation

this man speaks the truth! fantastic product.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DE blades’ is closed to new replies.