Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dartmoor – Road or MTB.. routes?
  • Wrongun
    Free Member

Hi,

I am off to Torquay in a couple of weeks. I am going to take a bike, but dunno if i should take the road bike or the MTB. Will Dartmoor be very boggy? Can anybody reccomend any routes (road or mtb)?

cheers

AndyRT
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the trail route in Singletrack, and most seems well draining gravelly singletrack. Like anywhere there might be some Somme moments, but its just the added fun of Autumn riding 😆

stevepitch
    Free Member

I was in dartmoor last week rode a loop out of princetown and despite heavy rain on the monday morning there were very few boggy sections.

Bloody awsome ride too, the dartmoor folk are very lucky 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s some lovely road loops in Dartmoor. I’m usually riding from Exeter, but if you stick to the main roads, aim to loop up to Two Bridges, and then back, and you can have a great ride. MTBing is good too though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

have a look here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-forum-ride-east-dartmoor-3911

Great riding roads and off roads 🙂

As Real man says – if you follow some of the Stage 5 TOB route you wont go wrong for a road ride – if you want some killer hills try Dartmeet and Widdecome 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you want some W.Dartmoor routes Princetown etc then bounce me an email – addy in profile.

carlphillips
    Free Member

if you are a wrongun then take the roadie.
    if you want to ride nice trails take the mtb.
    issue 49 of st has some good routes in it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As above crispy bacon sorted me out a fab route last year 😀

carlphillips
    Free Member

east dartmoor or lustleigh bovey tracey is only 20mins from torquay, it has fantastic riding there.
    i ride there thursday evenings and sunday mornings (early on sundays) if you fancy a few hours up there then you could bell me closer to the time.

Wrongun
    Free Member

Hi,

Cheers for the info.. I will probably only get one day – I have found this which looks like it fits the bill

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=iwxfvddrjfgmddef

cant wait – fingers crossed for ok weather!

crispybacon
    Free Member

with all due respect that MBR loop its not the best riding in that area of Dartmoor IMHO. It’s a long ride but tends to avoid/miss all the great stuff in & around Hound Tor/Lustleigh Cleeve & in some places goes the wrong way 😕

If you want a more thrilling, techy & IMHO rewarding ride then you could do no worse than ride the loop that foxyrider has linked to.

Trailmonkey/Shinythings put together a loop with all the best bits in the area & made for a superb ride. You might also want to post up on here for a local to help/guide you around Lustleigh I know Yunki lives in the area & maybe free to go for a ride.

HTH

Wrongun
    Free Member

Thanks. The map on the garmin site is quite complicated and I dont have a device to download to. I couldnt quite work out which way round it should be ridden. Could you list the main waypoints so I can plot it out on a OS map please? Cheers

crispybacon
    Free Member

wrongun – bounce me an email & i’ll see what i can do.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor – Road or MTB.. routes?’ is closed to new replies.