Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dark side wheel advice
  • waliboy

Looking to invest in one of the following wheelsets for the road:

1. Fulcrum Racing Quattro £269.99
    2. Easton EA70 £314.99
    3. Pro-Lite Bracciano £299.99 (on Shimano)

Does anyone have any experience of these or other similarly priced road wheelsets (up to £320max) and if so what recommendations would you make?

Cheers

MrSmith
    Free Member

Save up and get HED Ardennes on hope hubs.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the bracciano’s. Had them for about 2yrs and not had to touch them ! Would buy another pair no probs.

waliboy

Saving up is not my strong point Mr. Smith although though those do look like some lovely wheels…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get whichever ones suit the rest if your bike best, lol.

steve_b77
    Free Member
    waliboy

Those RS80’s look like a good deal too! Too much choice argh!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Get some built up by your local wheel builder or roadie shop they’ll last you forever and you can get them repaired easily, you’ll never buy factory built wheels again

jackal
    Free Member

Bracciano’s are £239.99 @ crc aren’t they? (in silver tho)…
    Plus an extra 10% off means they come in at £215.99, cheap as chips!

😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

For me handbuilts are the best value for money in that sort of price range…you’ll be able to get some nice handbuilts (like hope pro 3 on open pros (or similar)) for under £300

cynic-al
    Free Member

handbuilt – alphas on shimano/A2Z

mudshark
    Free Member

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/road-wheels-prices

I’d go for Velocity A23 or IRD Aero 30mm on Novatec Superlites

DT78
    Free Member

just bought a set of the braccianos off CRC to be my winter wheels (don’t want to trash the cosmics).

Really pleased with them, and they are cheaper on CRC now. Very light and no issues with being flexy (12.5 stone)

Only niggle is I would have preferred the black ones, but they weren’t discounted.

EDIT – just remembered, when I fitted them there was loads of drag in the rear hub, had to take it apart (really easy) would seem either a rubber seal was put in the wrong way around or not seated right. Works great now.

Sam

For Shimano freehub I’d agree with those saying build or get some built. However I needed a new set of wheels for my winter road bike recently with Campag freehub and wanted silver and went with the Braccianos from CRC. Very decent they seem too, and close on a pound lighter than my old Open Pro/Ultegras. We will see how well they hold up. Only thing I don’t like about them is the graphics are screened on (and thus not readily removed) but they are relatively inoffensive.

Anthony
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but why are a lot of factory wheels so expensive but not ‘that’ light? Is it stiffness?

At 65kg in kit and for recreational road riding, anything better than Alpha/American Classics at sub 1300g for £480 from JRA?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dark side wheel advice’ is closed to new replies.