Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cyclist deaths up – recession blamed ?
  • neverfastenuff
    Free Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225475/Number-cyclists-killed-roads-soars-credit-crunch-transport-gains-popularity.html

It seems that inner cities and towns are very dangerous places for 'inexperienced' cyclists as this reports pertains to..

I have seen several instances where both cyclists and vehicle drivers have behaved inapropriately – 2 weeks ago I was almost involved in a head on crash on the brow of a hill due to a car overtaking a cyclist.. I had a passenger at the time – the car driver was just too impatient so put all around at risk.

eddie11
    Free Member

saw this in the metro today. I got a bit annoyed as the only person they had a quote from was the AA's new 'road safety' person saying its a great shame and the 'road safety community' (what ever that is) needs to tackle this problem. Could they not get be bothered to ask the sustrans, CTC etc.. Dont ask the lobby group who represents the drivers doing the running over!

westkipper
    Free Member

Remember, this is the daily mail's unique slant on the issue, so not so reliable ( at least they're blaming the recession, and not immigrants)
    You touch on something I've noticed recently- a few years ago lots of drivers would risk just my life ( worth **** all!) with stupid overtakes, now I find that a fair few don't give a sh*t about the risk to oncoming traffic either, regardless of obvious blind summits/ corners, and double solids.

porterclough
    Free Member

In summary:

1) More people cycling
    2) Increase in cyclists injured
    3) Decrease in pedestrians injured
    4) Slight decrease in overall serious road injuries/deaths
    5) Cyclists are a menace!

Top marks for the Daily Mail there. You'd think it would be impossible to conclude number 5 from the previous 4, but they've managed it!

I await the "cycling causes cancer" headline which must surely be due any week now.

Trimix
    Free Member

Why blame the recesson ? Why not blame it on the fact that more people are cycling and there is more traffic around.

Or blame it on global warming and the good summer we had.

skidartist
    Free Member

Or blame it on global warming and the good summer we had

Don't blame it on the sunshine, blame it on the boogie.

samuri
    Free Member

I await the "cycling causes cancer" headline which must surely be due any week now.

They've not run it yet but as you say, it's only a matter of time.

http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist deaths up – recession blamed ?’ is closed to new replies.