Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cycleshow, earl's court 7-10 Oct- worth a visit?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Is it worth making the trip to london for? I am (vaguely) thinking about renewing the full suss is there a simulated offroad area to have a little play with demo bikes?

http://www.cycleshow.co.uk/page.cfm?requestTimeout=2200

molgrips
    Free Member

Imo, good place to go if you have a load of cash to dispose of.. otherwise no 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'll probably be going. Won't be paying to get in mind. I'm from That London, so don't have to. Only foreigners have to pay.

It's ok. Nice to see lots of shiny bikes. It's just like a really really big bike shop tbh.

footflaps

I went a few years ago and it wasn't really aimed at people buying stuff there and then more manufacturers showing off new stuff. Wasn't that impressed, so not been back.

DT78
    Free Member

The wife will be 'supervising' the wallet, might link it up with something else she'd like to do in the afternoon

4ags4
    Free Member

Went last year and TBH there was very little to buy other than a bit of clothing (in a small area set aside) that wasn't particularly cheaper than normal.
    If you have a couple of hours to spare there were lots of shiny bikes to look at mind!

spokebloke
    Free Member

We exhibited last year, and we're doing the same this year, so I get to stand in the same place for 4 days. Hmmmm.

Last year was a bizarre set up – there wasn't much to spend your money on (apart from us, obviously). This year is a bit different – and the Cycle Store is much bigger.

They won't give me any more free tickets, but if you use the discount code SPS you'll get 30% off or so. I might well get into trouble for that. Hey ho.

doodlebug
    Free Member

DT78

Been there for the last 3 years, always book a Friday off work, book a parking space near Earls Court : http://www.parkatmyhouse.co.uk/?gclid=CLTf0uySj6QCFVf-2AodJ02fJQ, Find a good cafe for breakfast, and generally have a fab day out with like minded people, Fantastic value for money, Always look out for the discount codes for admission of around a tenner.
    Go !! – If you don't like it, don't go again !!

bigbob38
    Free Member

'ctc' is a good code to use – gets pre paid entry for £10.50 😀

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Went to a good few of these, all of the ones at the Design Centre and Excel and once at Earls Court

Used to enjoy it when the exhibitors had time to chat, but its got too big now and didn't bother last year and won't be this year either

Think the Earls Court move ruined it for me, can't complain though because I won a grands worth of road bike at the second Excel show

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

With Madison and Hotlines boycotting it this year is it really going to be any good?

Surely the likes of shimano etc will not be there.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Nope, better off going to a few bike shops.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eh? But it is just like going to a few bike shops, with the difference being, the people at the stands actually do know what they're talking about!

There's a cool little test track to try out some nice new bikes on. Me and WCA got in trouble on it last year for being irresponsible though. 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

went last year, wasn't worth the entrnce (discounted) and hassle of getting there, apart from meeting Bumley from here it was rubbish imho

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See the thing is, it's so easy to get in without paying! Just 'phone them up a week or two beforehand, make up some shit about being from a cycle mag or website or whatever, and they'll more than likely sort you out with tickets to the trade show, which can then be used on the weekend 'open to the public' days.

It's a trade show. The more people that come in through the door, the more potential customers. The paying public probably only contribute a small amount to the revenue made by the organisers. When I worked in bike shops, we could all get free tickets to get in.

I can ride my bike there, get in for nowt. 😉

bigbloke
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago, not all that to be fair, all the stands showing shiny gear but not selling??? Only one area/store selling at high full prices and very limited range. Bit of a tease really. Although the freeride/bmx display was great to watch.

Won't be going again though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Apparently the new London Bike Show at the Excel will be a show where you can buy stuff. That's why Madison have shunned the Cycle Show. The CS will die a death unless they change tack I'd reckon. And how many Cycle/Bike shows will the trade want?

Earls Court smells of shit from Crufts and Horse of the Year and all that anyway.

Oh, and I live 10 mins cycle from the Excel plus a mate can get free tickets for most events there. 😉

I wouldn't pay to go to either show though, tbh.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Spokebloke, is it safe to assume you'll have Hyper 3.0 there to have a try/look/feel of? If so, do I need to bring my own 3 litre camelbak bladder or might you have one there?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Yep, I'll have hyper 2.5 and hyper 3.0 with me – no Enduros though – only one left.

Apparently Earls Court is being redeveloped next year and the CS is going to be at the NEC. Not sure who told me that or if I was sober at the time.

spokebloke
    Free Member

And don't worry about the blader Onza – it fits.

v10
    Free Member

Been the last few years with work, not a bad wander round to see the new stuff youve seen in pictures for the last few months for real but thats about it. As mentioned above Hotlines wont be there this year but were actually running our own show at the old truman brewery near bricklane the same week. Public day is Saturday (9th) and entry is free.. and if your lucky you get to talk to me 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

good place to go if you have a load of cash to dispose of.

Yup, they will check how much you earn before they allow you in.

From their website :

Average household income £66k

Don't know why you're thinking of going Effin……..they don't want riff-raff like you.
    That's why it's in West London.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm going to chore stuff, in't I? 😉

Riff-Raff? They'd call the police and social services if you turned up!

Onzadog
    Free Member

It wasn't so much a question of whether it fits, more a case of wanting to know how the pack feels on my back with a full bladder (the pack, not me). Maybe I'm the only person who thinks it through that much but what's the point of trying on a pack in the shop if it's not filled with the stuff you'd normally carry?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then fill it up with stuff in the shop, similar to what you'd normally carry/around a similar weight?

I used to work in an outdoors shop, and we'd fill a rucksack with heavy stuff to let people get an idea of how it would be in use. Doesn't simulate having it on for several hours though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cycleshow, earl's court 7-10 Oct- worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.