• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cycle Speedway?
  • jekkyl

Anyone ever done any cycle speedway? looks like great fun.

A club local to me has just re-started their efforts and are asking for poeple to go along if they want a shot, bikes provided. I think I might go along. Are they just fixies?
    and is it legit to just ram an opponent off the edge to the centre?
    here’s some crashes:

[video]https://youtu.be/ia4Wydv7j1I[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Hopefully the MNPR will be having a go soon.

kilo

Watched it at Newport a couple of times looks a hoot, barging seems to be ok. I think the bikes are single speed rather than fixes. My lbs has a lovely old cycle speedway bike in the window, areal work of art, unfortunately useless for anything else other wise I think I’d have bought it.

LeeW

A good mate of mine is the chairman of Wednesfield cycle sppedway club or whatever they’re called. He coached the world champion from a few years ago. He’s always trying to get me to go down but I don’t think I’d want my arse handed to me on a plate.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks absolutely mental!!

Northwind

Is it actually supposed to be a contact sport? At least one of those riders thinks so…

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Never done it but I’ve been to watch it at Astley and Tyldesley . Great entertainment.

Astley and Tyldesley Cycle Speedway

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

A couple of lads I know used to do it one won the British U18’s the other won the world champs twice!
    Fast and furious racing proper fun!
    Edit: no they aren’t fixies as they put their legs out to go round the corner.

flashes
    Free Member

There’s a track and rumour has it bikes at Filton near Bristol. Can I find anyone at the parish council that will answer any questions, hell no…..l’d love to get a few teams up there on a weekly/ monthly basis….

jekkyl

wonder if the rules state the gearing on all bikes has to be the same.

beej

Never done it but I’ve been to watch it at Astley and Tyldesley . Great entertainment.

Astley and Tyldesley Cycle Speedway

My cousin’s son rode for them last year before moving to Wednesfield for this year (and I think he’s still riding for A&T too). He also captained GB juniors against Australia last year, which is pretty cool.

epicyclo

Bunch of loonies!

What fun. 🙂

Denis99
    Free Member

I used to ride for Cardiff Dragons in the late 1960’s , great fun.

Still friends with most of the team , but sadly I’m the only one still riding a bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

Strangely compelling stuff

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfEseCEp91E[/video]

MrSparkle

Did it at Astley & Tyldesley many moons ago when Singletrack sorted out a freebie bash there. Samuri of this parish was there also. Great crack. Much potential for injury.

nbt

I was there with MrSparkle, Samuri and others. Great fun. So much so we went back and had another go a few months later. Bloody exhausting though, you need to be very fit

jekkyl

strangely compelling stuff

isn’t it! good vid. It seems the win or loss is all in the turn in to the corner.

mechanicaldope

There’s a club at Perry Hall Park in Birmingham that are trying to get some more riders to join in. Think I may take a look.

rOcKeTdOg

Watched a few races in Poole, Poole sharks iirc, absolutely mad & v competitive, they got a large crowd there & the atmosphere was ace

househusband

Several secondary schools in Fife compete against each other and one or two have outdoor circuits.

Northwind

Do they have a proper speedway ancient tractor with a big rake thing made out of seemingly random bits of metal and old rugs, for track grooming?

ontor
    Free Member

Used to have a few track records on the east coast.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Speedway?’ is closed to new replies.