• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by yoda.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CX brakes- Frogs Bollox or Tektro Mini V??
  • fenred
    Free Member

Just about to start a CX build and pondering over brakes.

Majority of CX bikes appear to wear canti’s but anyone tried both/either of the above that can offer any advice please?

flange
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve had both on the Yeti.

I couldn’t get the Fl’s to work very well at all, despite changing the straddle cables about, pads, blah blah. They look lovely though

Mini-vs are ace (or as ace as cross brakes get bar discs)but look pants.

However, I’m selling my FL’s so I’ll contradict my initial line and say they’re great!

fisha
    Free Member

The cantis are fine when setup properly. They have enough power to stop you, just dont be expecting disc brake power … by a long way.

Mini-v’s are pretty much the same really, although possibly less clearance as the arms and cable hug the tyre a little closer.

The only issue I have with canti’s is that sometimes the back of my leg touches the rear canti arms on occassion when the bike and I are at awkward angles to each other. General riding, not an issue though.

Both do the job fine though.

convert

Got Frog’s legs. They are ok, but only that. I’ve spent a while playing with yoke lengths etc but this is as good as it gets. The bike is back in winter road hack mode and I’m pretty convinced the normal callipers on my summer road bike provide better braking. Great mud clearance though.

If I was starting again it would be cable discs if for no other reason than saving the hassle of rebuilding the wheels when the side walls wear out and I replace the rim (I use it a lot).

fontmoss
    Free Member

got some shimano cantis, couldn’t afford frogs and as said above some folk love them but seem to be something you need to fettle to get the best from them. Frogs def look great though!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

get some lo-pro cantis. More powerful than froglegs and more clearance and less prone to wheel rub than mini vs.

cqed
    Free Member

cantis have never caused me any problems.

tektros, avid shorties 4’s, 6’s and ultimates are all fine.

nomakoman
    Free Member

froglegs here, mini v’s are a pain if its muddy….with the frogs its best to invest in some swiss stop pads in metal holders as soon as you get em 😉

yoda
    Free Member

The new Kore brakes are great, just throw away the pads they come with.
    I’ve run mini v’s (need a travel noodle thingy) good but untidy and close for mud shedding.

Frogleggs, look really good but flex more than an epileptic contorsionist.

The Kore’s are the best of both worlds, stick in some kool stop pads and they’re the next best thing to hydraulic discs!

Coleman
    Free Member

Use Tektro Oryx here – racing only though.
    Cheap, work well, low profile, cartridge pads etc.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

^^^^^^

What tyres are they fella??

Coleman
    Free Member

Teeto – Kenda Kwickers. Not too bad in the mud.

MikeWW
    Free Member

These are ace TRP cross barkes

fenred
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses fella’s.

So it seems cantis are the choice of the masses, I’m just concerned about this “wooden” feeling I keep reading about.

I’m swapping the hangy bits over from my road bike so cant go for discs as they’re standard road hubs, if I get on with the CX thing they’ll be on the shopping list eventually so just need something relatively cheap but as effective as poss to tide me over.

MikeWW- Very nice but a bit pricey atm

Coleman – Nice rubber! Fugly brakes 😀

Yoda – linky?

fenred
    Free Member

flange and fisha could you run 35mm tyres with the mini v’s with enough cable clearance or was it a fag paper between wire and rubber job?

yoda
    Free Member

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CX brakes- Frogs Bollox or Tektro Mini V??’ is closed to new replies.