Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cube Stereo frame build – help please with chain line problem (pic)
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve bought the frame for a build up with my existing bits and pieces. The BB shell is approx. 73mm so I put one spacer on the drive side when installing the BB (hollowtechII). The result is this:

the chain is rubbing on the bottom bearing of the suspension(3D Box) when in granny ring. It’s a 2009 frame BTW, any ideas?

peteimpreza

Well I would suggest it’s actually a 68mm BB and needs more spacers.

How well does the non-driveside crank arm engage with the axle?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I measured it again, the BB shell is def. 73mm, The non drive side looks and rotates fine.

ojom
    Free Member

Chainring on wrong side of tabs?

peteimpreza

Have you tried with more spacers?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Chainring on wrong side of tabs?

You’ve confused me there, isn’t there only one set of tabs for the granny chain ring? I’ll check the granny ring, that I put it on the right way round.

Have you tried with more spacers?

I did wonder if the frame has been designed for requiring more spacers, it’s got a 142mmX12mm(X-12) rear axle, which has me wondering, I have no previous experience of X-12.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

thebikechain, I see on your website that you sell the Cube Stereo, maybe you could have a look at a Stereo BB and tell me what the spacer arangement is, please?

ojom
    Free Member

Will hae a look tomorrow for you. Night.

ojom
    Free Member

so…

This help?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Caused by the niche granny ring you are using?

swoosh
    Free Member

thebikechain – what happens when you slip it into granny ring? Looks like it might be quite close to the pivot.

ojom
    Free Member

Granny engaged. Tons of clearance.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This help?

Thanks very much for that tbc, it appears to be nearly as close as on my bike, the difference being, on mine, the chain is touching the pivot bolt. As swoosh asks, is it very close when you put it in granny?Am I right to assume, that there is only one spacer on the drive side BB, as would be expected on a 73mm BB shell?

Caused by the niche granny ring you are using?

That is a possiblity, I tend to buy long lasting tractor chain rings, maybe the stereo is designed for only the finest wa’fer-fin XTR.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks again tbc, looking at that 2nd pic, I wonder if I have too big a granny ring?

ojom
    Free Member

It should only have 1 spacer correct. Drive side.

What size granny is it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

22t, so probably not that and it looks to be a decent one probably XT. I’ll try taking it off and turning round the granny ring. Otherwise, I have newer XT cranks on another bike, so I’ll do a swap and see if it makes a difference.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It appears that at sometime in the past, a muppet has put the granny on the wrong way round, can’t think who would be so stupid 😳 .

Anyway, thank you for your help thebikechain.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Some cranks seem to have their granny rings mounted further inwards. I had a gravity crank and had to grind down the granny tabs to fit a chain device but it was fine with some saint cranks. maybe that is the problem?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s XT Hollowtech II which Cube use themselves on the Stereo, so shouldn’t be an issue. It is still very very close, but Cube have designed a big bottom pivot, which certainly looks more robust and business like than other Horst link bottom pivots I’ve experienced (ie Hemlock). I guess the downside is that you have millimeters to spare. I don’t appear to beable to fit any BB-fit chain device (ie stinger).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cube Stereo frame build – help please with chain line problem (pic)’ is closed to new replies.