Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Crud catcher + Reverb, anyone managed to fit one.
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Im now getting a very muddy bum as I cant get my Crud catcher to fit well on my bike while using a Reverb. If I fit it low down on the seatpost it fouls the rear tyre on the slightest of bumps.

I ride a 6 inch travel bike.

Anyone found something that works ? Or do I need to Blue Peter a solution ?

honourablegeorge

Mucky Nutz Bender Fender, if it suits your frame?

STATO
    Free Member

hmm, not sure how a fork mounted mudguard is supposed to keep him arse free of mud 🙄

For my gravity dropper i just mount the guard above the seat post clamp, infact thats where it goes on a normal seatpost so i dont really have your problem. What rear guard do you have, i think there was once an option for long/short brackets but not sure the most recent one does. There are other guards that might be more suitable SKS, topeak etc. Tho i think you need to give up on the idea if your short and have a 6″ bike, surely you wont be able to get off the back of the saddle far enough if there is a guard bolted the seat?

Trimix
    Free Member

Well it looks like its designed to fit your front wheel, I want it to fit my rear and work on my Reverb dropper post.

But looking at it, I could fashion something out of plastic that may fit the rear suspension instead of the seat tube.

Trimix
    Free Member

STATO, when I mount mine on the post as you suggest, it looks fine, till I compress the suspension. Then it just rubs the tyre. I ride a Transition Covert and Im fat.

Even using the short bracket on the Crud catcher it still fouls.

a11y

2011-12-09 (31) by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

Cryaguard mounted on my GD, using the longer (I think) of the two brackets. Works fine even with the remote cable exiting rearwards. I’ve even squeezed a light bracket on the seatpost between the guard clamp and the cable exit.

a11y

Bugger – didn’t notice the comment about 6″ bike, that won’t work!

Although I guess if you’ve got enough “static” seatpost showing (like my pic) you could easily mount the guard higher/closer to the cable exit point to allow the 6″ clearance between tyre and guard…

Trimix
    Free Member

a11y, thats nice, but you dont have much in the way of rear travel 🙂

BTW, your wall may need repointing soon.

a11y

😳

Trimix
    Free Member

I may end up in my garage tonight with my crud catcher, tie wraps, stanley knife and thoughts of Valerie Singleton’s “here’s one we made earler”

honourablegeorge

STATO – Member

hmm, not sure how a fork mounted mudguard is supposed to keep him arse free of mud

They’re not just for forks….

STATO
    Free Member

Great, but thats only going to keep a short section of your seattube mud free, everything from the seatclamp up is still going to be covered in clarts.

honourablegeorge

Like I said, depends on your frame. What bike is it?

Trimix
    Free Member

I could sort of extend it back a bit, if it can fit to the upper chain stays it would run close to the tyre. I may even buy a bottle of beer for garage fetteling tonight. Undisturbed fetteling in the man cave, quality time.

2012 Transition Covert.

iain1775
    Free Member

Waterproof 3/4 length shorts are your answer

Trimix
    Free Member

iain1775 – they may keep me dry, but wont stop the mud. The last ride I did ended up with me having enough mud on my shorts to plant potatoes in. I want to avoid washing my shorts (outers) and jacket after every ride. Also it will keep the muck off the dropper post as well.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem with a full sus frame, a reverb and a rear crud catcher. I cut the crud catcher mounting bracket in half, from top to bottom, midway between the seat post clamp and the section which allows you to adjust the angle of the mudguard. I then cut a 5 inch long ally plate to match the sliced bracket and used some self tappers to screw the pre drilled bracket to the seat clamp side of the crud catcher mount. Then I used self tappers to fit the rest of the mudguard 5 inches higher, via the top of my ally plate, than the seat clamp part.
    This mod/bodge works perfectly and the 5 inch long plate gives extra mud protection the the exposed inner post whilst allowing full suspension and post movement.

Trimix
    Free Member

Matt24k – do you have any photos ?

Matt24k
    Free Member

I can take some photos but I always have trouble posting them here. I’ll mail them to you and maybe you can post them for me?

Northwind

Mudguards don’t go very well with long travel bikes unfortunately, hard to get both clearance and effective cover.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK Matt, I will give it a go. Its a slow day in the office today. Id rather be on my bike, muddy bum or not.

NigE5
    Free Member

Topeak do one that clamps to the lower section of the Reverb if you have enough of it sticking out of the frame.
    I think its part of the defender range.
    That what I use and it keeps the muck off also it has not scratched it yet

Trimix
    Free Member

Nig E5, which one did you get ? How much travel are you using on your bike ?

Matt24k
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

Matt24k
    Free Member

[/url][/img]
    Finally worked out how to post an image so here’s another angle

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Crud catcher + Reverb, anyone managed to fit one.’ is closed to new replies.