Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cross Gearing
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

What do people use?

I currently have a 12-25 casette on, have had a few crank issues so currently rocking 32/44 at the front.

basically round ere in some deep old mud, 32/25 aint that low…

am i just a loofta? have normal gearing on road bike, but eff me offroad its HARD going…

wwaswas

I run a 34:28 as easiest gear on my cross bike.

tbh, if I can’t pedal that gear up a hill then walking is probably quicker.

tracknicko
    Free Member

indeed. was only me first ride on it so maybe i just need more experience in mashing!

wwaswas

I tend to pick routes without waist deep mud when on the cross bike – just nip off onto the road for a mile or two and pick up the off road bit at a drier section.

Makes for a funner ride to keep the speed up and mix the surfaces I ride on too.

sefton
    Free Member

TRAIL – 34/46 – 11-28

tracknicko
    Free Member

anyone know if you can get 11-28 in 9 speed?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I currently run 1×10 40T on the front and 11-36T on the rear, I don’t race, it just for fun. It can be a bit spinny on the road, but work well most of the time.

Dibbs
    Free Member

12 – 25 ten speed, 36 – 46 it can be a bit of a struggle if I haven’ t ridden for a while but I manage to get up the 17% road climb on my commute across the Quantocks.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Race set up is 40T * 11-27, 10 speed.

If I were to use it in a more casual trail set up then I’d run a double at 34/46.

tracknicko
    Free Member

thanks chaps. 17% road climb is ok.

problem section was more like 20% off road with roots and rocks!

theteaboy
    Free Member

The ‘Request stock alert’ for the 9-speed 11-28 cassette here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5045 may be my fault – I just bought one for my new cross bike (thanks scottyroyal!)

Road compact 50-34 and this should be enough I think.

ourmaninthenorth

Currently have 12-29 (I think) and 50/34. I didn’t build the bike (s/h). I’m a slow racer – sometimes that bottom gear is much appreciated – but if I’d built it, I’d have a bigger front ring (36t) and just press harder on the pedals.

Clover

I think it depends a bit where you are – our local U23 champ works in the LBS so I have been quizzing him about gears. He runs 28 at the back and 36 at the front (not sure about the big ring) for most races but 28 / 34 for TodCross. He tells me that the girls in the UK team run mountain bike rear blocks. I have decided on this basis that trying to ‘girl up’ and continue with 25 / 34 is stupid… new shiny things are on their way. 🙂

Northwind

12-25 10-speed cassette on mine and for a rubbish cross rider, that just seems idiotic. Not enough ratios and too many double-taps. I suppose the rationale is that if you want a lower gear you’re better off running, but if I want to go for a run I don’t take a bike.

It’s getting mtb ratios on it as soon as poss but that’ll mean new chain and mech. Ah well.

oldgit
    Free Member

12-25 with 36/46. Gave up pretending a CX bike was fun and enjoyable on the trails and only use it for racing.

Clover

Hmmm, Oldgit, after getting a bit grumpy with my 12-25 I borrowed 12-28 for last race and was way, way faster. Although my result was a bit ruined by trying to overtake a slow bloke on the steepest bit of the course – he offed in front of me and rolled back into me and snapped my mech hanger. 👿 There’s clearly a lot to learn about CX racing technique.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Im on 36 46 and change my rear cassette for different gearing. I go between 11-23 all the way to 12-27. 10speed and used for racing only

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cross Gearing’ is closed to new replies.