Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank pedal thread repair – where?
  • packer
    Free Member

I have an old pair of cranks one of which has a knackered pedal thread which I want to save and i’m trying to find somewhere that will do a proper repair on it (i.e. cut a new larger thread in the crank and install a threaded insert).
    Google has lead me to Highpath Engineering in Wales who can do it but they have a turn-around time of 4 weeks so i would rather find somewhere quicker or somewhere local to me (London) who can do it. Any ideas?

stevie750

Fitting a helicoil is really quite easy. You could try it yourself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have you tried yellow pages? I think they list local businesses, might not have a section titled “Crank pedal thread repairers” but I’m sure with some effort you can find something under engineering services or the like. If you really cant find anything then most garrages should be able to do it.

FWIW I had my brake calliper threads done at a local CNC fabricator for a fiver.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Don’t want to fit a helicoil – want to do a proper repair with a new insert.

euain

Don’t want to fit a helicoil – want to do a proper repair with a new insert

I thought that’s what a helicoil was?

packer
    Free Member

A helicoil is made of coiled wire (like a spring). It works by expanding when something is threaded into it which is what keeps it in place. It’s not an ideal solution for something which takes a lot of side load, like a pedal.
    The proper solution is to use a solid threaded insert, as per in this article here:
    http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com/2010/12/repairing-stripped-pedal-thread.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

euain your right – but you need to get it straight – its not just a case of drill and bosh ….

a pillar drill and some form of clamps as well as someone experianced and understands what they are doing would be far superior and more satisfactory than a numpty with a black and decker – probably with a wood or stone drill bit and a diy helicoil kit !

be aware that on many hollow cranks – this isnt really a viable option though !

packer
    Free Member

In case anyone else has the same issue, I have found two shops in London that can do this job; Condor Cycles and Bikefix.
    Cost seems to be the same everywhere – £25
    However Condor currently have a 1 month lead time on any workshop bookings (!)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank pedal thread repair – where?’ is closed to new replies.