Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Crank Brothers – Absolutely Sh1te !
  • willsimmons
    Free Member

pedals = sh!te, bearings crap and rails wear rendering the pedal totally useless. Expensive mistake.

cranks = even more sh!te, delaminated and bent under all 65 kg of me. Lasted about 30 hrs.

I wonder how much, or indeed where, the people without issues are actually riding the stuff.

In summary IT IS ALL UTTER UTTER TOSS

matthew_h
    Free Member

I like their logo.

tangent
    Free Member

Shame equipment reviews cannot be as fun to read as this tread?!

Didn't know they subbed out the manufacturing too that obscure ouitfit known as Wrank Bothers?

Always felt (IMHO) it gear was over designed / over styled…and the original product (the eggbeater) which I used for awhile quickly got scrambled. That said BITD nearly all the top-end / aftermarket kit was of this 'standard'…it does highlight how much progression has taken place in the stuff we use overall

domjohn123
    Free Member

I got a pair of the 50/50 X pedals and they looked really cool when i bought them, but after one weekend of hard riding in the lakes the exteriors were scratched to pieces and over the last 5 months the pedals have slowly started to get more and more wobbly, not a good sign, considering i've got some 5 year old spesh pedals and they still spin well, the pins have just worn down. They still look good though.

Although i have to agree that the multi tools are pretty good. the only niggle is the chain tool always moves around when using the other tools.

Mini tool & Mallets here with no issues

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i heard they weren't really brothers.

epicsteve
    Free Member

All the stuff I've had from them has been crap. Haven't used their pedals but the only pedals I've seen actually fail on a ride were eggbeaters so that put me off.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm loving willsimmons post – mine break, yours don't so I am a gnarlier rider than you.

Bregante

50-50's worst pedals I've ever had and went in the bin after two months. wellgo v8 copies have easily out performed them ever since at a third of the price

atlaz
    Free Member

Got egg beaters on the commuter for the last year and they're fine. Had smartys on the HT for 3 years now and they're still fine and I've barely maintained them at all. Clearly I'm not hardcore enough to break my pedals.

Multitool is just a multitool no better or worse than my cheap one.

singletrackmind

5 years and maybe 5000 miles on a set of Eggbeaters. No service strip down , just unscrewed the end cap and filled the space up with decent grease. Screw end cap down and it forces the grease into the axle.
    80kgs and xc use only mind. Must be utter rubbish.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive 3 sets of eggies 5 sets of candies 2 sets of quattros pair of mallets and pair of 5050xx no probs with any ive snapped cage on one eggie but prob would have snapped any pedal. All the haters send your pedals and spares to me foc if you want 🙂

duir
    Free Member

Have used a pair of Crank Bros Mallet 2s on my downhill bike for 2 years and not had to change the bearings. They have been utterly battered in Scotland over that time including lot's of Fort William and whilst showing wear and tear they are still fine. I do take the trouble to service them ie re-grease them once in a while so maybe that helps. The cleats however are totally rubbish and I still don't understand why they make them from brass instead of steel for durability.

On the plus side they have super customer back up and try to be innovative.

Still I wouldn't buy another pair as shimano pedals just last forever with zero maintenance.

willsimmons
    Free Member

I'm loving willsimmons post – mine break, yours don't so I am a gnarlier rider than you.

That wasn't the sentiment. After my experiences, and having worked in a store where we seemed to be sending 'W@nk Brothers' finest off for repair/inspection on a weekly basis, I just find it hard to believe that it lasts for anyone!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've had two pairs of Mallets, the first ate it's own bearings within a year and the second are still going strong after five years with no maintenance whatsoever and nigh on a couple of thousand miles of use.

Took Crank Bros a while to sort out their bearings IMHO.

Mackem

eggbeaters = bad
    Headsets = good

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Been running eggbeaters for aboot 6 years with no probs at all. Always the stainless ones, current pair 2 years old and still perfect.

Only pedal failures i've seen have both been Shimano. I had a pair of XTR ones fall apart mid ride after clipping a rock. By the rationale of many on here that makes Shimano sh*t too!!!

tazzymtb

might I suggest that all the folks that break light weight crank bros stuff are in fact bat fastards who should stick with ugly stuff for lardy arses. 😉

jae
    Free Member

anyone got anything on the cobalt isis BB

im still running the hell out a set of isis Raceface Turbines and about to fit a cobalt….

seemed to be the best i could get since SKF stopped producing their isis number

opinions?

vinnyeh

I'm none the wiser as to what the three products that failed were. How about telling us?

The one pair of Smarty's I had were crap- only lasted a few weeks on a commuter in the winter, had no problems with Acids, and love Candy's.
    Bent a hex key on my multitool.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I have a set of candy 2Ti pedals and they have been fine with no problems at all.

However I have had two headsets on of which last an one, a set of wheels which lasted two days, two pumps, and four joplins one of which went down once and never came back up.

There stuff does look nice though, and I have friends that have never had a problem with there stuff. I think that basically they are hit and miss.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I **** love their pedals!!! If any of you are getting shot of your egg beaters then chuck 'em this way 🙂 You do need a good squirt of grease every few rides, so in this sense they're sort of like Fox or Pace forks, but I think they works just loverly thank you.

I've posted this picture before, but as CB don't appear to have any intention of modifying their product to make it fit for use, it's worth posting again.

100kg rider doing nothing more extreme than a couple of runs down the Cannock red downhill route (one 18" drop off).

With the current trend of people claiming compensation for anything they can, I'm surprised that CB are still selling a product that will inevitably, one day, cause a serious injury. I'm just lucky that both mine broke at low speed.

heihei

Not a fan of the headsets. They are a pain to fit (even with a headset press), and then went rusty.
    At least 2pure seem good on the service & warrantee side.

mos

I've used the cobalt steel BB's and all i can say is that it's agood job they come with a 5 yr warranty.
    1st one failed after 6 months, sencond one same again, 3rd one flogged on ebay & bounght an SKF.

postierich
    Free Member

I,m too big(14st) for pedals and the rest of their tat but the multi tool is fab

slim704
    Free Member

my pump is ace and still works like new after seven or so years

gazc
    Free Member

my experience of crank bros so far:

candys – good, like them but the plastics a bit soft – put a few big gauges in them on rocks already after about 12rides

acids – dog sh!t bearings, fell apart after one ride 😯

multi tool – no problems (probably cos it ain't got bearings/seals/anything that an incompetent labourer in a far east sweat shop can mess up in it)

woody74

If your Crank Bros products have failed within a month, take them back to the shop and complain. If they are not fit for purpose then they should to give you a refund. Remember things come with a 12 month guarantee so us it. If it was a washing machine you wouldn't just dump it after a month and not complain. Why should bike bits be any different.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Their Egg beaters are MINT. Ive had mine now for 3 years and wont go back to SPD's. The mud clearance is great.

I suspect a lot of peeps on here are cleaning their bikes, sprying the Egg beaters with GT85* and then leaving it. Now, if this is so, no wonder they are falling apart. The GT85* will slowly dissolve the grease and thats where problems start. If you regually maintain them then no problems.

*or similar approved product 🙂

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Got a set of 5050s second hand and I think they're great.

Yes, they're heavy but given they're on my DH bike it doesn't particularly matter. The stock pins are about as grippy as V8s (therefore much better than V8 copies which are nowhere near as grippy), but if you spend about £4 on a set of 12mm grub screws from a fittings shop and put them in every hole they're the grippiest and best-fitting pedals I've ever used. They're also really easy to look after and rebuilding is easy compared to other pedals I've used.

If you look after them properly they're cracking pedals!
    (no experience with any of their eggbeaters, I don't like clipping in)

Joxster
    Free Member

If we play fair, then Lappiere = Sh!te, Campagnolo = Sh!te, Mavic = sh!te, Shimano = Sh!te, Cove = sh!te, SRAM = sh!te, Specialized = sh!te, Giant = sh!te, Orange = sh!te, Hope = sh!te, Ambrosio = sh!te, Thompson = sh!te, Easton = sh!te, DMR = sh!te, Time = sh!te and Speedplay = sh!te. As I've had failures on them all.

I ride eggbeaters and I've yet to have them fail (and going by my track record they will at some stage) the pedals have been serviced once a year and on average I do about 8000-10000 miles a year.

LS
    Free Member

Probably tempting fate, but here goes:

One pair of Eggbeater SLs for seven years, zero problems, still going strong.
    Two pairs of SLs through four cyclocross seasons, zero problems, only got rid as the bikes they were on got sold.
    Two pairs of 4Tis for the last cyclocross season, stripped them down afterwards and the grease was still pristine inside.

Add to that that they work perfectly every time and never clog up, and you've got one very happy customer here.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi,

If anyone has any problems they just need to get in touch with either the dealer they got the product from or directly with us on info@2pure.co.uk – as TLR and MilitantGraham know!

Cheers for the positive comments though guys.

Thanks
    ran@2pure

willsimmons
    Free Member

In fairness though 4 seasons of cyclocross must equate to less than 100 hrs use if we're talking racing only (and a lot of it). The mud clearance, and ease of clipping in, is great for cross though.

A thread about Crank Bros always brings up some strong opinions and a lot of bad experiences. There is no smoke without fire. The Crank Bros stuff to my mind doesn't seem to be designed with longevity in mind, some good ideas but for a lot of people their stuff just don't seem to last.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Just to add my two pennence worth I sent my pedals off for warranty inspection and 2Pure replaced everything except the pedal body. The problem was though that in the months that I'd had them I'd worn the rails so they were totally unusable despite the warranty work. My foot would just come out at inopportune moments. I'd had 3 sets of cleats as well as they just wore so quick, even the 'premium' ones which barely made a difference.

I also had a bit of a battle with getting my money back on the cranks as 2Pure just wanted to replace them (I'd bought them direct from 2Pure). Having had them bend without warning I was not keen to have another pair. All was resolved eventually but I wouldn't say the customer service is a flawless as everyone says to add some balance

LS
    Free Member

Fair point Will, but as you know, 100hrs of use on a cross bike = 100hrs of some serious abuse. Particularly under a less-than-smooth sod like me!
    I've seen broken Eggbeaters so I'm aware that not everyone has had good experiences with them, but they've been faultless for me.

The seven-year-old pair have been used and abused on the MTB, winter road bike, and the missus' road bike, all without issue.

sillyoldman

100hrs of use on a cross bike = 100hrs of intended use!

Nezbo
    Free Member

I have Candy's on 3 (Ti2, SL, C) of my bikes and egg betters on the other and they are great unlike most i dont pull out of them to easy and they dont have to be so tight that you can't move you foot around. The brearing/bushes are a bit naff but as long as you keep them greased they are fine. I have rode mine all winter/summer/winter and had no problem what so ever and they dont get cloged the same as SPD's. They are just a great design.

I have had some smarty's and they are crap so if any one is going to try some CB pedals stay away from them.

Muilty tool is great, never leave home on my bike without it…

The pump with the metal handal has survived 2 or maybe 3 winters, so that cant be to bad and it has outlasted my track pump.

Don't cyclocross riders get off and carry their bikes over the bumpy bits though ? 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers – Absolutely Sh1te !’ is closed to new replies.