Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Crank arm weights
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Just the arms…anyone got the figures on the following?

SLX
    XT
    XTR
    Middleburn RS8 X-type 406g for the RS8 square taper

I’m looking to swap out the Deore on my HT, going 1×10 at the same time, while keeping it as light as I reasonably can. I suspect they’re all fairly close, certainly too close to to make a blind bit of difference to me…but I might be tempted to ignore the obvious (SLX) an spend a bit more for light weight and bling.

Ta,
    R

br
    Free Member

XTR 960 175mm arms are 532g, tensioner and Ti bolts are another 10g.

simon1975

KCNC?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Hmm…XTR is seems heftier than I expected, although I don’t really know what I expected!

Thanks for the KCNC suggestion, but I’m gonna keep it mainstream.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Why mainstream? KCNC do some great products

Scamper
    Free Member

SLX 175mm i have as 597g. The double and bash versions are heavier.

PaulD
    Free Member

Be carefull to compare properly.

Crank arms with/without nuts and bolts can be nearly 40g different.

XTR usually had alloy nuts and bolts, XT a mixture and SLX all steel.

Scamper is right about SLX double and bash because of thicker arms and steel pedal inserts.

PaulD

footflaps

XTR is seriously stiff though, great power transfer.

andyl
    Free Member

also add the BB weight when comparing with square taper as HTII BBs are a lot lighter.

tbh there is not much in it. Choose whatever you prefer the look of as you are probably talking less than 100g between SLX and XTR with XT in the middle.

pjbarton
    Free Member

hollowgram? blingy cost – nice simple style too

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, an XT BB is circa 90g, the Octalink i think was over 300g

jimification
    Free Member

hollowgram? blingy cost – nice simple style too

Hollowgrams are ace (though pricey). Amazingly light and stiff and you can fit whatever spider you want. 280g for the crank arms (that’s both of them!)

Don’t think they’ll work unless you have BB30 though.

crikey
    Free Member

You’re really bothering about crank weight?

Like really?

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Middleburn X type 175mm cranks c/w 5 bolt spider ( approx 60g ) = 610g
    need to add rings and bolts to this.
    you could go for a uno ring if going 1 x 10
    my set up with 20,30 bash and alloy bolts = 782g complete
    Hope X type bottom bracket = 109g

2012 SLX FC-M660 24,32,42 = 812g complete
    SLX / XT bottom bracket to match = 90g

njee20
    Free Member

Like really?

Why not! One of the heaviest parts of the bike!

If you had Hollogram money I’d get Lightning.

If you sell the rings on XTR you can recoup a significant proportion of the cost, I did that with some M970s. XT rings fetch less, narrows the cost gap.

takisawa2

I swapped cranks recently, & in terms of arm weight alone, there wasn’t a lot in it between Deore “HT2’s” & XT M770’s with proper hollow arms. The XT’s are much stiffer though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Shorty121 – Member

Why mainstream? KCNC do some great productsI’m sure they do, but I’ve had a look at their cranks and didn’t see anything to get too excited about.

andyl – Member

also add the BB weight when comparing with square taper as HTII BBs are a lot lighter.The Middleburn square taper weight is up there simply because its all they have on the website. I know that BB type, spider and rings will all play a part, which is why I’m querying arm weight only.

pjbarton – Member

hollowgram? blingy cost – nice simple style too Hadn’t heard of these…ooh, they’re lovely but the price is, ahem, prohibitive![/quote]

crikey – Member

Like really?Am I bovvered? No. Curious, yes.

njee20 – Member
    If you sell the rings on XTR you can recoup a significant proportion of the cost

One of the things I’m considering and its only this that brings XTR into the equation really.

So, at the moment SLX is very tempting @ £99 with CRC, plus the £17 offer bringing it down to £87. That’s it, I’m decided. Pretty much. Either that or XTR and sell the rings. Or wait for another CRC 10% offer and get Middleburn + Uno, cos it’s sexy.

Dammnit!

ska-49
    Free Member

Ive got some m711 XT cranks with BB and 34t ring if your interested for £60? Emai; kh306(at)exeter.ac.uk

dirtyrider
    Free Member

included the weight of the hollowgrams with a BSA adapter

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

dr, superb info…thanks! Disappointing there’s no Middleburn though…must try harder next time 😉

RaceFace, decent weight saving and look great, but waaay too dear for me with no decent offers on.

Shimano are all pretty close, just goes to show what good value their cheaper cranks are, I couldn’t justify over 3x the price for XTR on weight alone…what is that, 2.5oz over SLX in real money?

Cheers,

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

swoon

😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Crank arm weights’ is closed to new replies.